Why Pentecostalism Dominates Growth in Christianity Today

8,944 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Woody2006
Aggrad08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's amazing people convince themselves of that line
swimmerbabe11
aggiedad20 said:

My guess is you never believed in the Bible...

This is a pretty cruddy jab. 7nine was clearly devout and definitely is open to conversation. What is the purpose of a post like this? It certainly isn't going to make him desire to head to the nearest CoC church and say "sign me up, Scotty!"
Texaggie7nine
I went to CoC churches and private school for a short time living in Alabama. I must say they take the cake when it comes to arrogance in belief. It's not a faith thing, it's clearly an ego thing.I'm quite used to it from them.
7nine
PacifistAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I went to CoC churches and private school for a short time living in Alabama. I must say they take the cake when it comes to arrogance in belief. It's not a faith thing, it's clearly an ego thing.I'm quite used to it from them.
I have attended CoC churches for the past decade. While the ones we attended are certainly not your "old school" CoC, I did see this to some degree even in churches that appear to be on the verge of leaving that denomination (and yes, despite what they claim, it is a denomination). I saw this more often, though, in the Baptist churches I grew up in.
aggiedad20
It's not a faith thing to believe the Scriptures as written? It's not an ego thing to boast on religion boards of prior associations with denominational teachings?

Got it lol
PacifistAg
AG
Here's an early church teaching on 1 Cor 13:8-13 that you may find helpful:

Quote:

1 Corinthians 13:9-10

We know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

It is not therefore knowledge that is done away, but the circumstance that our knowledge is in part. For we shall not only know as much but even a great deal more. But that I may also make it plain by example; now we know that God is every where, but how, we know not. That He made out of things that are not the things that are we know; but of the manner we are ignorant. That He was born of a virgin, we know; but how, we know not yet. But then shall we know somewhat more and clearer concerning these things. Next he points out also how great is the distance between the two, and that our deficiency is no small one, saying,

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/220134.htm
dermdoc
AG
aggiedad20 said:

By their fruits you shall know them. That jab does not reflect fruits of the spirit as written in Galatians imho.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Texaggie7nine
The CoC church my step mother went to over there eventually left the denomination and became non denominational. It did not surprise me because their pastor was the most non CoC , CoC pastor I had ever come across. After they left, that church grew like 10 fold.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
aggiedad20 said:

It's not a faith thing to believe the Scriptures as written? It's not an ego thing to boast on religion boards of prior associations with denominational teachings?

Got it lol
It was clearly an ego thing. In the small communities in Alabama it especially showed. When families and friends of different denominations got together for community events and family gathering, pretty much all other denominational church goers treated each other as brothers and sisters in Christ. Only the CoC people would make it clear that all the other non CoC "christians" were really going to hell because they were not in THE church of Jesus.
7nine
swimmerbabe11
Texaggie7nine said:

While Lutherans don't exactly win any prizes for humility, I grew up being told very strictly that I was never ever to date or marry CoC. To the point of my mother being worried about me going to TCU which is loosely affiliated with the DoC. I don't know any/many CoC, but they were definitely the "ones ti watch out for" way more than Catholics or the Baptists
aggiedad20
The sanctimonious hypocritical pile-on has begun apparently.

Have a great day all!!
Texaggie7nine
You were the one that came in making fun of people that speak in tongues, calling them fools. Telling me what I believe.
7nine
swimmerbabe11
I just took a scroll through your post history and I gotta say
UTExan
Back in the 1980s, when I was living in Bryan, one of the local CoC pastors used to regularly write letters to the Eagle about a variety of cultural topics. Every sentence ended in an exclamation mark (!). Now I have met some wonderful CoC people, including one who advocated for racial equality from the pulpit of his Stephenville church in the early 1970s, and others who would definitely qualify as hard shell.
The hard shell variety definitely are resistant to the move of the Holy Spirit as a somatic experience, but God always has an interesting way of destroying our misconceptions.
CenterHillAg
AG
Our preacher growing up had a joke about being shown around Heaven and how the various denominations were celebrating, when they got to a room and were asked to be quiet before looking inside. The Angel said, those are the CoC, we have to be quiet because they think they're the only ones here.

I've struggled with faith for 20+ years, much of that I blame on an Assembly of God I attended growing up, as unfair as that may be. The idea of telling a 10 year old to live in constant fear for your salvation is a little heavy. I've had a couple things happen in my life in the past year that has restored some faith for me, and the theological discussions I've had with my parents and their decision to leave that Church and attend a Baptist have been comforting to say the least.
schmendeler
AG
I think they are mostly harmless. but it does bother me a bit how they are towards women. they can't cut their hair and can't wear jewelry or makeup. it's comes across a controlling to me. they claim that it is for modesty purposes but I have a hard time swallowing that given how much time they have to spend on corralling all of that hair into a style. and heaven forbid that a woman wear pants!
UTExan
There are a few Pentecostals which still hew to that line. The AG church I attend now has a woman pastor on staff and people attend in pretty much the gamut of clothing, including t-shirts, shorts and flip flops.
Woody2006
AG
aggiedad20 said:

Typical nonsense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.