Book of Life movie (Revelations)

1,126 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PabloSerna
captainsubtext
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A reviewer of the movie, Book of Life describes Jesus as such, "The film's Jesus has a heavy emphasis on compassion. He was seemingly changed forever by becoming human, and his feelings only intensified on his return to Earth."

https://biblefilms.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-book-of-life-1998.html

Is Jesus more compassionate because he spent 33 years on Earth living as a human? Is God less compassionate, but Jesus' experience and influence on him making him more compassionate. Moses, Mohammed and Buddha were men and not part god and while I respect and accept the religions that developed from them, I'm more curious about Jesus and this effect on him becoming human. Is there literature or quality films that regard Jesus in this way. I'm aware of the Scorsese film.
Martin Q. Blank
God, including the second person of the Trinity, is immutable.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Is Jesus more compassionate because he spent 33 years on Earth living as a human? Is God less compassionate, but Jesus' experience and influence on him making him more compassionate. Moses, Mohammed and Buddha were men and not part god and while I respect and accept the religions that developed from them, I'm more curious about Jesus and this effect on him becoming human. Is there literature or quality films that regard Jesus in this way. I'm aware of the Scorsese film.
This is a kind of confused set of statements. A couple of things:

Jesus is God.

God is compassionate, infinitely so. As far as we understand compassion is to participate in the reality of compassion that is in God. Same for any good thing.

The act of the Incarnation was divine condescension, a sort of infinite compassion. In other words, the compassion preceded the Incarnation.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Is Jesus more compassionate because he spent 33 years on Earth living as a human? Is God less compassionate, but Jesus' experience and influence on him making him more compassionate.
Jesus isn't more or less compassionate, because Jesus is God. If you want to know what God looks like, look to Jesus who is the exact representation of the nature of God. If it doesn't look like Jesus, then it doesn't look like God.
PabloSerna
AG
I have always liked "Jesus Christ Superstar" for a good take on the humanness of Christ. For one, it is taken from the view point of Judas. So bear that in mind. Two - it is not theologically sound, but raises some great points.

One of the lines that can stir the pot that Judas yells at Jesus -
"Every time I look at you I don't understand why you let the things you did get so out of hand. You'd have managed better if you'd had it planned."

Watch it. It actually has a lot of redeeming value and opens up the whole idea of Jesus' humanity.
PabloSerna
AG
Follow up - Movies like this and even books about equating Jesus to a "holy man" - to me suggest that whoever dreamed them up, would have some bigger issues IF Jesus was indeed God. Better to write him off as a Holy Man than to consider what if he really IS God and now I have to change!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.