Laid off

4,874 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BanderaAg956
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sucks. I kinda knew it was coming, but still sucks.

3 months severence, so there is that.
dermdoc
AG
Prayers brother.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
Buster,

So sorry to hear that. What kind of work/industry do you come from? I'm an HR Manager and have many HR contacts. I'd love to help circulate your resume if you want. Hit me up at christianpacifist@hotmail.com.
BusterAg
AG
Thanks man. I might hit you up. Give me about a week to see what is what.
Texaggie7nine
Had something similar happen with my last job about 5 years ago. Except I was given the option to move to Pittsburgh to keep my job or be laid off. I said screw Pittsburgh. Got like 3 months severance, plus I had about a month of paid vacay on top.

Still sucks to no know what will happen. Especially the last year of my last job, I knew it was coming, so I was living in constant fear that it could happen any time.

Once it happened, since I had 4 months of pay, I decided the first month I was just going to enjoy it and start looking for another job after the first month. That first month was probably the best month of my life. Golf every day (finally got a hole in one), hang out every night, sleep in in the mornings... Man, why can't life just be like that?

Anywho, I came across a job posting on Monster when I started looking and I had that job within a week and am much happier here. Also this job lead me into finding my wife. So there's that.

Most likely, a year from now you will be happy you changed and have the weight off your back of constantly wondering if your job was going to be gone.
7nine
Frok
AG
Not sure I could pull that off 79 but kudos to you.

Sending some prayers Buster. That sucks.
dermdoc
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Had something similar happen with my last job about 5 years ago. Except I was given the option to move to Pittsburgh to keep my job or be laid off. I said screw Pittsburgh. Got like 3 months severance, plus I had about a month of paid vacay on top.

Still sucks to no know what will happen. Especially the last year of my last job, I knew it was coming, so I was living in constant fear that it could happen any time.

Once it happened, since I had 4 months of pay, I decided the first month I was just going to enjoy it and start looking for another job after the first month. That first month was probably the best month of my life. Golf every day (finally got a hole in one), hang out every night, sleep in in the mornings... Man, why can't life just be like that?

Anywho, I came across a job posting on Monster when I started looking and I had that job within a week and am much happier here. Also this job lead me into finding my wife. So there's that.

Most likely, a year from now you will be happy you changed and have the weight off your back of constantly wondering if your job was going to be gone.
So you lived like a dermatologist for a while.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Texaggie7nine
Frok said:

Not sure I could pull that off 79 but kudos to you.

Sending some prayers Buster. That sucks.

Well I was single and renting an apartment, so not many responsibilities.
7nine
Frok
AG
It does sound amazing. I figure my trip down layoff lane is bound to happen at some point. My company seems to regularly cycle out people with experience.
dermdoc
AG
Frok said:

It does sound amazing. I figure my trip down layoff lane is bound to happen at some point. My company seems to regularly cycle out people with experience.

Hate to hear that. I am so blessed to be my own boss. Except for the Lord and my wife of course
Texaggie7nine
Frok said:

Nothing better to do than get out in front of it.
7nine
BusterAg
AG
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

My wife is a teacher in cy fair, so she makes enough to cover 80 % of our bills. As long as I find a good job I like, this will be for the better.

Gonna decide what to do starting next week. Just chillin this week.
PA24
AG
I read once that 80% of folks are not satisfied with their job and wish they were doing something else.

Keep that in mind as you look.

Pray each day for guidance.
88Warrior
Sorry Buster...Something will come your way!
dds08
AG
Thoughts and prayers.
IDAGG
AG
Frok said:

Yeah, mine too. We refer to it as "he/she caught a case of the over 50 disease."
Aggrad08
AG
That's a kick in the gut. But The job market is great right now you'll find a spot. You might post you degree/job background in case a poster knows an opening
Duncan Idaho
Be careful with taking too much time off. I took 3 months off before I started looking after one layoff and when I crossed the 6 month line, i was told by more than one recruiter "you have been out of work too long. I cant put you in from of a client. Go contract or something, so you look employable"

Good luck in your search. Find something to keep your mind active, volunteer, pick up a professional cert, something, you can only apply for so many jobs a day
RAB91
IDAGG said:

Frok said:

Yeah, mine too. We refer to it as "he/she caught a case of the over 50 disease."
My company has been known for that too. And with my name you can see I'm crossing that threshold.
amercer
AG
IDAGG said:

Frok said:

There are very few old guys in my business, so I worry about this a lot. I figure I've got 10 years to make upper management, or plan to be unemployable.

I try to save a lot.....
Cyprian
AG
That sucks. I've been there before too. I actually flew to Hong Kong for a couple of weeks when it happened to me. It was a nice distraction, and I had the airline miles to burn, so I didn't pay much between that and was able to say with family there. I hit the ground running hard once I was back in town. It ended up being for the better at the end (better job/opportunity/boss/etc), but that wasn't clear for the 3-4 months it took for me to find a new job.

Let me know if I can help? Seriously I don't mind it. I know a couple resources in the Houston area that are useful to network with and grow your presence to the job market. Depending on what you do, my company has some open positions too. Again, feel free to let me know if you want any help - otherwise best wishes in the meantime.

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
Redstone
AG
Unite this trial to Christ - suffering is unavoidable for all, and perhaps ordained for you specifically, so that you might choose to do so.
BallerStaf2003
AG
BusterAg said:

Man I'm so sorry I've been laid off twice before. It sucks but something better always happens. Now is the time to push.
dermdoc
AG
BusterAg said:

Prayers for you this am buster. God is going to open up doors for you.
dermdoc
AG
Still praying.
BusterAg
AG
Just now starting my job search. Was in upstate NY for a vacation I had already paid for. Was a great break. After the dust has settled, I'm thinking this is going to be a good life move.

I already landed a small consulting gig that will give me a couple more months of runway. Feeling much more peace after spending a couple weeks in the river chasing trout.
Texaggie7nine
Good to hear.
7nine
dermdoc
AG
Great news.
BanderaAg956
Good Luck Buster, I have gone through it a couple of times myself. The last time was in May of this year. I started working again late June.

Keep your faith!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.