Third use of the Law

1,114 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nortex97
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was fairly old when I first learned that this was a vagueness controversial and uniquely Lutheran Term.

Most commonly, when asked 'why does the law exist' we will respond with "to act as a curb, a mirror, and a guide." Curb us away from what not to do, mirror to show us our need of the grace and mercy of God, and a guide on how we should instead be living.

More thoughts after coffee
Martin Q. Blank
I don't see it as vague, controversial, or unique.
swimmerbabe11
Inspired by this tweet and justandsinner's latest podcast.

ramblin_ag02
AG
I read this wrong and though we were going to talk about the Third Law

"A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law."
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nortex97
AG
I'm pretty darn sure RC Sproul wasn't a Lutheran;

Quote:

The first purpose of the law is to be a mirror. On the one hand, the law of God reflects and mirrors the perfect righteousness of God. The law tells us much about who God is. Perhaps more important, the law illumines human sinfulness. Augustine wrote, "The law orders, that we, after attempting to do what is ordered, and so feeling our weakness under the law, may learn to implore the help of grace."2 The law highlights our weakness so that we might seek the strength found in Christ. Here the law acts as a severe schoolmaster who drives us to Christ.

A second purpose for the law is the restraint of evil. The law, in and of itself, cannot change human hearts. It can, however, serve to protect the righteous from the unjust. Calvin says this purpose is "by means of its fearful denunciations and the consequent dread of punishment, to curb those who, unless forced, have no regard for rectitude and justice."3 The law allows for a limited measure of justice on this earth, until the last judgment is realized.

The third purpose of the law is to reveal what is pleasing to God. As born-again children of God, the law enlightens us as to what is pleasing to our Father, whom we seek to serve. The Christian delights in the law as God Himself delights in it. Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (John 14:15). This is the highest function of the law, to serve as an instrument for the people of God to give Him honor and glory.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.