David Platt prays over Trump

2,639 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by gordo97
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Are we not called to pray for everyone? Just because the media was there and everything ends up in the news these days, is praying wrong in this instance? Is it ever wrong?

Why do people assume that not parading up in front of the congregation is the same as not praying for him at all?
Agreed. I was planning on saying something very similar. I don't think I've seen anyone who said that Platt, or any Christian, shouldn't pray for Trump. I've seen many object to him coming up on stage. Whether or not it was appropriate really depends, imo, on what the standard practice is at Platt's church. At my church, if someone comes up and asks for prayer from the church, they are often up on stage or in their pew, surrounded by others laying their hands on them. If others aren't typically brought up front and prayed for, then they probably shouldn't have done so with Trump.

But they absolutely should have prayed for him, and I have yet to see a Christian say otherwise. I don't think it has anything to do with being a "Never Trumper".
Frok
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Are we not called to pray for everyone? Just because the media was there and everything ends up in the news these days, is praying wrong in this instance? Is it ever wrong?

Why do people assume that not parading up in front of the congregation is the same as not praying for him at all?

Your standard is a bit ridiculous. I don't see any indication they did this for a publicity stunt. They weren't exactly sure what to do.
AGC
AG
Are we sure this wasn't done specifically for Platt's congregation as much as everyone else? If it's like my church there's a political split and people have strong opinions. He's illustrating how you can be a critic and Christ follower in an appropriate way and he now has a model to use with his followers regardless of who's in office. This is beneficial to say to some, yes you should be able to pray for him without hate and vitriol and I showed you how. To others, you should be able to pray for him but with Godly intentions instead of your own and you can see how I did it. To me this is an opportunity for leadership and unity as much as anything else within his congregation before it goes outside those walls.
diehard03
Quote:

Your standard is a bit ridiculous. I don't see any indication they did this for a publicity stunt. They weren't exactly sure what to do.

I thought we agreed that we wouldn't see eye to eye on this. It's also ok to disagree.

I'm not sure what you're looking for that I haven't explained already. They brought him on stage and prayed for him publicly. I'm not sure what other indication you need. There's nothing "ridiculous" about my "standard". I have no standard. I can disagree with someone's approach on something.

I understand the value of praying corporately for someone, maybe missionaries or what-have-you. I also totally get that David believes that this was a teaching moment for this congregation. I would question whether you are really teaching what you want to be teaching (ie, why I said this was a "road to hell is paved with good intentions" scenario). Trump was clearly leveraging the situation. I don't think whatever you stood to gain teaching was worth this.
Frok
AG
Sorry, you sucked me back in!
gordo97
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Trump was clearly leveraging the situation.
I don't think whatever you stood to gain teaching was worth this.

Maybe God was leveraging the situation and now during one of his famous rambling rallies, Trump will remember the moment when he stood on stage quietly while people genuinely prayed for him out of love and grace.
diehard03
The ends don't justify the means.
Macarthur
gordo97 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Trump was clearly leveraging the situation.
I don't think whatever you stood to gain teaching was worth this.

Maybe God was leveraging the situation and now during one of his famous rambling rallies, Trump will remember the moment when he stood on stage quietly while people genuinely prayed for him out of love and grace.

KNowing everything we know about Trump, do you really believe this nonsense?
gordo97
AG
Considering everything we know about God, is anyone beyond His reach?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.