Chance to life guilt

1,966 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there such a thing? (Similar to survivor's guilt.)

At times I ponder about why I was given a chance to be alive, not to mention the unfathomable number of people who don't exist or were simply not given a chance.
kurt vonnegut
AG
dds08 said:

Is there such a thing? (Similar to survivor's guilt.)

At times I ponder about why I was given a chance to be alive, not to mention the unfathomable number of people who don't exist or were simply not given a chance.

I don't think so. Does survivor's guilt require some sort of empathetic connection to someone who didn't survive? Can you experience empathy for something / someone that has never existed?
Beer Baron
AG
Seems like an odd thing to worry about. There are potential humans who don't exist because my dad and mom had me together instead of them having other kids with other people. Other people didn't get a chance because they did it on a Tuesday instead of a Wednesday. Who cares? I guess if it makes you feel any better, if the multiverse is a thing, those people are out there somewhere.
Win At Life
AG
Slightly different, but I often feel getting involved with me Ex was a huge mistake in life. However, it gave me two sons (even if she took them from me and tried to turn them against me). I sometimes think what my life would have been like if I never made that mistake. I'd have married someone else and had other children, but they would not have been the same as the sons I actually have. Somehow I cannot completely regret it all, because without things happening the way they did, I wouldn't know the two people I now call my sons and I cannot imagine what a hole I'd feel if they'd never existed. Each life is truly unique in this universe and a gift from God.
Redstone
AG
Logos - the Reason and Order of all creation - brings about His good through history and action, including evil.

This is the Cunning of Reason.
Texaggie7nine
If you die and go to hell, do you still fell guilty over all the potential people that never existed and never risked going to hell?
7nine
dds08
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

If you die and go to hell, do you still fell guilty over all the potential people that never existed and never risked going to hell?
What kind of question is that? How could I possibly answer that question without ever having experienced Hell?
Demosthenes81
AG
dds08 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

What kind of question is that? How could I possibly answer that question without ever having experienced Hell?
I take it you did not watch the UCLA game then?
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
Texaggie7nine
jxs40 said:

dds08 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

I take it you did not watch the UCLA game then?
In that case, I experienced Hell in person.
7nine
PabloSerna
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

News flash.. you CHOOSE hell.

dds08
AG
The drivers license manual states somewhere that being a licensed motorist on roadways is a privilege.

Much like driving, the thought never occurred to anyone that it's a privilege to have been created, to be a lifeform on earth?
Texaggie7nine
PabloSerna said:

Texaggie7nine said:

News flash.. you CHOOSE hell.

If I put a gun to a woman's head and tell her to either love me and live happily ever after or don't love me and go live in my dungeon and be miserable for the rest of her life, does she "choose" the dungeon if she won't love me?
7nine
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

Much like driving, the thought never occurred to anyone that it's a privilege to have been created, to be a lifeform on earth?

I guess if you could create a scenario where someone wakes up driving a car on a road, they have no clue how to drive, are terrified out of their mind, never asked if they wanted to drive, but hey "it's a privilege, be thankful dammit"
7nine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.