Pastors/Priests/Clergy and Social Media

2,156 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by chimpanzee
AGC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious what limitations y'all think they should self impose when posting. How far can one go in a theological debate before it becomes dangerous to continue? Dangerous to fellowship, witness, and their ability to lead. How do they know when they cross a line? How does one divide politics from pulpit on these platforms when contemporary society demands public statements to current events?
Martin Q. Blank
I'm not sure they should be on social media to debate theology.
dermdoc
AG
I can not imagine being responsible for teaching people correct theology. Every word and deed matter for everyone but for a pastor it is magnified.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AGC
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

I'm close to this. But I wonder if they can have a presence at all. Imagine preaching at a church after any controversial event. Do you comment on it? For instance Ferguson. Can you call it a tragedy, demand justice, or advise people to wait for the facts? No matter what stance you take someone from the public at large can (and likely will) be disappointed or upset with your statement.

What about signing the Nashville Statement or Dallas SJ statement that some evangelicals did?
Quad Dog
AG
Can you give examples of lines they can cross?
swimmerbabe11
I think it is wonderful and great and amazing until I disagree with something they say.
UTExan
My experience is that when clergy goes on social media, their intent is more political than theological.
Martin Q. Blank
AGC said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

I'm close to this. But I wonder if they can have a presence at all. Imagine preaching at a church after any controversial event. Do you comment on it? For instance Ferguson. Can you call it a tragedy, demand justice, or advise people to wait for the facts? No matter what stance you take someone from the public at large can (and likely will) be disappointed or upset with your statement.

What about signing the Nashville Statement or Dallas SJ statement that some evangelicals did?
I'd say only preach on controversial events relevant to your church. Not every thing that hits the 24 hour news cycle.

Can't comment on signing various statements, but I guess when you are in a church without a denomination or one that doesn't have synods, councils, assemblies, etc, that's the best you can do to feel unified with other churches.
AGC
AG
Quad Dog said:

Currently I'm watching SJ evangelicals call non-SJ evangelicals racist, or falling back and saying they're not anti-racist. Obergfell was another big moment. Is Twitter an appropriate way to dialogue about these things,m? Can you or should you mention names or subtweet?
PacifistAg
AG
Quad Dog said:

PacifistAg
AG
Or this:

PacifistAg
AG
Saw this today, and thought of this thread.

Furlock Bones
AG
Bishop Robert Barron is pretty incredible with his use of social media.
Frok
AG
Purchased mine. Democrats have no chance in 2020 now.
PacifistAg
AG
Frok said:

Purchased mine. Democrats have no chance in 2020 now.
Jokes on you. I've countered your purchase with this one:

PacifistAg
AG
Another example:

Zobel
AG
What the hell, man
PacifistAg
AG
k2aggie07 said:

What the hell, man
What? Isn't that what Orthodox churches are like on July 4th weekend?
Frok
AG
This service has become a R&P tradition. I think we gawk at it every year
747Ag
AG
This is how we will worship on the Sunday closest to Independence Day...

PacifistAg
AG
747Ag said:

Clearly your church hates America.
747Ag
AG
PacifistAg said:

747Ag said:

Clearly your church hates America.
Well, we are ROMAN.

AMDG
chimpanzee
All these Caesar-fests from the pulpit have me thinking of other ways churces can grab on to extant enthusiasm to put butts in the seats.

Has anyone tried incorporating a worship service into a spin class yet? Or, better yet, Crossfit, the marketing is already right there in the name!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.