What denominations still believe in state religions?

2,275 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nortex97
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Obviously Anglican, Catholic, and Orthodox. Are there any others?
Raggie21
Lutherans, also the Armenian church which doesn't really fit into any box although it's closest to orthodox.
Zobel
AG
I'm not sure that Orthodox believe in state religions. What does that mean, exactly?
94chem
k2aggie07 said:

I'm not sure that Orthodox believe in state religions. What does that mean, exactly?
I would assume that it means no support for freedom of religion, which would mean no separation of church and state.
94chem
Catholics support freedom of religion as of Vatican II, correct or not?
PacifistAg
AG
94chem said:

k2aggie07 said:

I would assume that it means no support for freedom of religion, which would mean no separation of church and state.
On social media, I mostly see 'Reformed' folks who argue for a theocratic state. But I know we have several of the alt-right/white nationalist ilk here who, if I recall correctly, are Catholic.
Zobel
AG
Quote:

Orthodoxy has never advocated against freedom of religion.

A state religion does not mean that citizens of that state are not free to practice whatever religion they please. Freedom of religion and separation of church and state are not mutually exclusive.

Separation of church and state means the state doesn't control the church, nor the church the state. A state religion doesn't (necessarily) abrogate either of these rules.

Which is why I asked for a definition. Anyway, I don't think it is an Orthodox teaching to support state religions. Orthodoxy generally argues for the two spheres or symphony or harmony concept. However, anyone with half a sense of history knows that this has never, ever worked...the state always arrogates power to itself.
fat girlfriend
The church of western secularism pretty strongly believes that the state should enforce its values on all citizens.
Zobel
AG
Nailed it
PacifistAg
AG
This post reminded me of this thread: Thoughts on the National Day of Prayer.
Quote:

America is not a Christian nation; it never was and never can be. The only institution that even has the possibility of being Christian is the church. When we confuse the nation with the church, it may not do any particular damage to the nation, but it will do irreparable harm to the church. When we reach for the sword of violent power, we let go of the cross of Christian discipleship. To be Christian implies an intentional attempt to imitate the one who would rather die than kill his enemies.
Quote:

Only that which is capable of embodying the Sermon on the Mount has the possibility of being Christian. Some have tried to lessen the demands of discipleship by adopting Luther's "Two Kingdoms" theology, but this only leads to divided loyalties and a compromised Christianity. How do you have two kingdoms without two kings? When you understand that Christ means kingwell, you see the problem. What ends up happening is Christ being reduced to a "spiritual" king (whatever that is), while the state is made the real king. Let's just say that Luther's "Two Kingdoms" experiment did not end well in Germany.
Quote:

One of the most vital things an American Christian can do right now is resist the hijacking of Christian faith by American nationalism. We need to make it abundantly clear that "America First" is incompatible with a global church whose mission it is to announce and embody the kingdom of Christ. The Nicene Creed teaches us that the baptized are to confess that "we believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church," not in a compromised and nationalistic church. Now is not the time for gaudy star-spangled Christianity; now is the time to wash our robes in the blood of the Lamb so that we can live as citizens of New Jerusalem.
Of course, this applies to religious nationalism in any nation.
Plan-o-menon
All that teach earth is a globe. Heliocentrism is a state religion. Thinking someone walked on the moon is a belief, just like believing some walked on water. Neither can be verified by direct first-hand experience. Going to outer space in a rocket is neither repeatable, verifiable, or testable with experiments available to regular people. Testimony from government agents is the only evidence.
DVC2010
AG
Plan-o-menon said:

All that teach earth is a globe. Heliocentrism is a state religion. Thinking someone walked on the moon is a belief, just like believing some walked on water. Neither can be verified by direct first-hand experience. Going to outer space in a rocket is neither repeatable, verifiable, or testable with experiments available to regular people. Testimony from government agents is the only evidence.

Nor are any of the principles that make the computer you're typing on work, yet here we are.
Plan-o-menon
You and I can use a computer to get on the internet.

You and I can't use a rocket to go to space.
PacifistAg
AG
Plan-o-menon said:

Oh goodness. Math Powerland posts are fun.
94chem
Guys, do not blow this. This could be better than ibmagg if we don't blow it.
747Ag
AG
BurnHard Longer
State religion
Tramp96
Raggie21 said:

Lutherans, also the Armenian church which doesn't really fit into any box although it's closest to orthodox.

Um, no. At least not the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. We are adamantly opposed to a state religion, and we subscribe to the Two Kingdom's Doctrine as outlined in the Book of Concord: (paraphrasing) the church should not exercise worldly government, and princes should not rule the church or have anything to do with the salvation of souls.

If you think back to the relationship between the Pope and the Emperor back then, this was one of the fundamental issues stemming from the Reformation.
DeSantis 2024
swimmerbabe11
In fact, I think most Lutherans skew almost libertarian if not actually voting that way (like me!)
nortex97
AG
Global warmists are sure that heresies must be suppressed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.