Easier to prevent than treat

1,182 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by A Net Full of Jello
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hear this phrase thrown around a lot around the medical community and in medical articles:

"It's easier to prevent a disease than it is to treat it."

This is especially true when it comes to multiple sclerosis, obesity, HIV, and other conditions caused by poor, irresponsible life decisions.

Could the same be said for justice?

It's easier to prevent crimes (criminal, maybe not so much civil) than it is to pick up the pieces (fallout) after a crime has been committed.

Would it not be fair to say that one embracing a mindset of loving the Lord and loving one's neighbor as oneself works more in the preventative area?
dermdoc
AG
If everyone truly met Christ and followed him, it would change the world.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

This is especially true when it comes to multiple sclerosis, obesity, HIV, and other conditions caused by poor, irresponsible life decisions.
I get your point but multiple sclerosis is not a lifestyle disease. Lung cancer, COPD, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, any STD, and a host of others are your typical lifestyle disease. Measles is easily preventable. MS is a frustrating tragedy.

The closest thing I've seen to crime prevention is happening in Baltimore. They use risk analysis to find the people most likely to commit crimes, and they try to get them to agree to enter a monitoring/check-in program and pay them for it. It's pretty new, but apparently cost effective so far.

I also agree that Jesus is the answer, because bad actions flow from bad hearts. And He is the only one who can turn a bad heart. Unfortunately our world is fallen, and we still have to solve these types of problems when people reject Him or His ways.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
diehard03
Quote:

It's easier to prevent crimes (criminal, maybe not so much civil) than it is to pick up the pieces (fallout) after a crime has been committed.

This is part of the pro-abortion argument, no?

Honestly, I always thought that this is what social justice was supposed to be about, prior to SJWs ruining it for everyone.
dds08
AG
Of course, some deaths are an accident, however, when someone murders an innocent person (or even takes matters into their own hands(vengeance), as opposed to relying on justice)

Why not call a spade a spade....

You hated your neighbor, and a part of you (by consequence) hated yourself"
dds08
AG
I meant coronary heart disease, clogged arteries, due to sedentary lifestyle and poor diet.
dds08
AG
No, this isuprise more broad, general.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
dds08 said:

I hear this phrase thrown around a lot around the medical community and in medical articles:

"It's easier to prevent a disease than it is to treat it."

This is especially true when it comes to multiple sclerosis,
obesity, HIV, and other conditions caused by poor, irresponsible life decisions.

Could the same be said for justice?

Would it not be fair to say that one embracing a mindset of loving the Lord and loving one's neighbor as oneself works more in the preventative area?

Huh? MS is not caused by irresponsible life choices. The cause is unknown but people who run marathons, professional dancers, virgins, professional athletes, etc. have all been diagnosed with the debilitating condition.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.