Abbott Tryphon attacked in Washington, prayer requested

1,938 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PacifistAg
Ciboag96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is the Abbott of an Orthodox Monastery in Washington. We talk about attacks on churches and clergy in France. Whelp, here at home too.

https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/morningoffering/2019/04/prayers-requested/

Quote:

PRAYERS REQUESTED

Abbot Tryphon of the All-Merciful Saviour Monastery was attacked while pumping gas at a Burien, WA gas station Tuesday around noon. A random man came over, and sucker punched Abbot Tryphon in the face, knocking him to the ground. They had to wait for paramedics, and a sheriff came and took his report. Father Tryphon was with Father Martin of the monastery, and they were out running errands. Father Martin was in the vehicle when the attack occurred. They are both shaken up by the incident, and at this time, Abbot Tryphon's hearing has been affected.

Please pray for Abbot Tryphon and especially that there is no permanent damage. The police are looking for the attacker.

Archpriest Basil Rhodes
dermdoc
AG
Done.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I feel bad for the Abbott and hope he is okay without any permanent damage done. But, at the risk of picking nits or seeming insensitive or derailing the post. . . . I think it is incorrect to characterize this as an attack on a church or as an attack on someone for being a clergyman which I think your post implies.
Martin Q. Blank
kurt vonnegut said:

I feel bad for the Abbott and hope he is okay without any permanent damage done. But, at the risk of picking nits or seeming insensitive or derailing the post. . . . I think it is incorrect to characterize this as an attack on a church or as an attack on someone for being a clergyman which I think your post implies.
If he was wearing his collar, what other conclusion is there to sucker punch an old man?
Serotonin
AG
Hostility to Christianity will continue to ramp up, whether by physical violence or cultural/social pressure.

There were more Christians martyred from 1900-2010 than the previous 19 centuries.
http://www.gordonconwell.edu/resources/documents/csgc_Christian_martyrs.pdf
Ciboag96
kurt vonnegut said:

Here is his picture and what he wears every day. You decide.

Zobel
AG
Monks, even priest-monks, don't wear collars, as the poster above shows. There's no way someone would have thought he was just a normal gentleman out pumping gas.

But you never know. Wearing all black like that, maybe someone thought he was Muslim. :/

Senseless.
Jaydoug
AG
Anti-Christian rhetoric coupled with the continued escalation of the promotion of physical violence is a bad mix.

He's dedicated his life to prayer and I'm sure he will be praying fervently for his attacker.
Zobel
AG
I'm a little surprised he gave a statement to the police.
Jaydoug
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I'm a little surprised he gave a statement to the police.

I'm not. He's also the Chaplain of the local fire brigade. So I'm sure he knows all local officials well.
Zobel
AG
I guess what I meant was more along the lines of - it would not have surprised me at all if he had not given a statement to the police (in defense of his attacker).
kurt vonnegut
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

kurt vonnegut said:

If he was wearing his collar, what other conclusion is there to sucker punch an old man?

His beard would cover a collar. But, yes, If he was dressed as he is in the picture, its not a huge stretch to suggest that his motivations were anti-religious or even anti-Christian. I don't know what he was wearing or what the attacker's motivation, but you may very well be right.
UTExan
Description of the attacker? My lizard brain is already thinking about Antifa/anarchist white kid, but that's just my knee jerk speculation.
PacifistAg
AG
UTExan said:

Description of the attacker? My lizard brain is already thinking about Antifa/anarchist white kid, but that's just my knee jerk speculation.
Perhaps, but just to clarify - antifa and anarchist are not remotely the same thing.
Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg said:

UTExan said:

Perhaps, but just to clarify - antifa and anarchist are not remotely the same thing.
Not remotely? The wikipedia page for antifa mentions "anarchist" 19 times and Homeland Security and FBI link the two. Part of the article uses the terms interchangeably.
Zobel
AG
He's a monk, so he was wearing that. Maybe without the cross, and possibly with a different hat. But they don't wear any other kind of clothes than the cassock.
PacifistAg
AG
Never mind. That's not what the thread is about.
Solo Tetherball Champ
k2aggie07 said:

He's a monk, so he was wearing that. Maybe without the cross, and possibly with a different hat. But they don't wear any other kind of clothes than the cassock.
Without the cross, I can almost imagine a case of mistaken identity in which someone assumed he was a Muslim.
Zobel
AG
Sure, or maybe "one of them Jews" /sarcasm. Never know with people.
Ciboag96
Update:

An update from Abbott Tryphon
PacifistAg
AG

Thanks for sharing the update. I love this:

Quote:

Instead, I find myself filled with compassion and love for the poor tortured soul who was driven to commit such a heinous act. That a young man would sucker punch an obviously old man, and a stranger to him, is truly hard for me to comprehend. Even more, I am praying for my attacker. The reason is this: Although I am imperfect, and a terrible sinner, I am graced to live a fulfilling and fruitful life, assured of God's love for me and surrounded by people who love me also. Not so the man who sucker punched me. His pointless act suggests someone filled with loathing for those around him and even more for himself. What inner torment could cause him to lash out at someone who has done him no harm? He is his own victim even more than I am his victim. I know I have forgiven him, but can he forgive himself ? My prayer for him is that he can find the courage to ask God to forgive him.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.