Anybody else watch the Jesus series

2,644 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BusterAg
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
on the History channel. I enjoyed it and especially the varied commentators.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Martin Cash
AG
They could have stayed with people who knew the Bible and Christianity and left Joel Osteen out of it.
dermdoc
AG
i like Joel Osteen.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
Was there a surprise ending?
dermdoc
AG
Not bad my friend.
bigcat22
AG
Martin Cash said:

They could have stayed with people who knew the Bible and Christianity and left Joel Osteen out of it.
Started watching it, saw Osteen and turned the channel.
MatthewRothell
AG
Why? He doesn't even preach with the Bible???
dermdoc
AG
Every sermon I have listened to he preaches from Bible verses And his daily devotionals always start with a verse. Maybe your experience is different than mine?
zephyr88
AG
dermdoc said:

Every sermon I have listened to he preaches from Bible verses And his daily devotionals always start with a verse. Maybe your experience is different than mine?
I also enjoy listening to Joel. There are a lot of folks who don't, and that's ok too. He (indirectly) helped me thru some rough patches and I enjoy his positive messages of faith and hope.

And yes, he references the Bible often in each and every message.
dermdoc
AG
zephyr88 said:

dermdoc said:

I also enjoy listening to Joel. There are a lot of folks who don't, and that's ok too. He (indirectly) helped me thru some rough patches and I enjoy his positive messages of faith and hope.

Agree. And Happy Easter! He is risen!
Martin Cash
AG
zephyr88 said:

dermdoc said:

Any preacher who lives in a $5 million house is a charlatan.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Can you get 15,000 people come watch you speak?
schmendeler
AG
Leave Alfonso Ribeiro out of this!
dermdoc
AG
Martin Cash said:

zephyr88 said:

dermdoc said:

Any preacher who lives in a $5 million house is a charlatan.
Glad Solomon wasn't a preacher. Just wrote quite a bit of the Bible.
NSTN8
schmendeler said:

Leave Alfonso Ribeiro out of this!

It took me a bit, but i get it... i chuckled...
schmendeler
AG
I was feeling especially corny.
Martin Cash
AG
brs4688 said:

Can you get 15,000 people come watch you speak?
Huh? Can you run a mile under 4 minutes?
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Meaning the thousands of people who attend services every week and enjoy his message. Just because you do not enjoy his word or think he is ripping people off does not make you right. Why don't you try going around complimenting people instead of criticizing.
Frok
AG
I have not seen this series but I think any Christian with nominal familiarity with good scripture teaching would know Joel Osteen isn't exactly your go-to guy for in-depth analysis. Joel Osteen provides Christian-themed pep-talks and self-help.

They are probably using him as a celebrity draw to get all his viewers to watch.

I'll have to watch it to see if I have any specific objections.

Stringfellow Hawke
AG
So to be clear, you are going to Monday morning quarterback a guy who has built a church of thousands and thousands, written numerous books and fills stadiums with people who want to hear his message? I don't get it.
Frok
AG
It's not "Monday Morning Quarterbacking", it's using discernment when listening to various teachers to determine if what they are saying is true. Don't be swayed by the number of followers, many false teachers have lots of followers.

My issue against Joel is the false view of Christianity that he portrays. He gives the impression that if you pray, read scripture, and say positive things it will go well with you. Then inevitably something goes wrong and you end up questioning God altogether.

dermdoc
AG
To me, that is not how he presents his message but each to his own. I have much more trouble with somebody like John Piper who says you can lose your salvation if you retire and do nothing. Or Francis Chan who also questions your salvation unless you live like him. But that is just me.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
At the end of each sermon, he says, get in a bible based church, keep God 1st in your life and He will take you where you have never been. Amen.

Anyway, God Bless and have a great day.
Frok
AG
I think what Piper and Chan are implying is that if you have little to no devotion to God then you should question if you really believe. I know it's not a warm fuzzy thought. But it should invoke self-examination of yourself.

Frok
AG
brs4688 said:

At the end of each sermon, he says, get in a bible based church, keep God 1st in your life and He will take you where you have never been. Amen.

Anyway, God Bless and have a great day.

Have a good day. I apologize as I wasn't trying to insult anyone for liking Joel.
dermdoc
AG
You have a great day my brother in Christ.
Zobel
AG
brs4688 said:

So to be clear, you are going to Monday morning quarterback a guy who has built a church of thousands and thousands, written numerous books and fills stadiums with people who want to hear his message? I don't get it.
None of those have anything to do with whether the guy is speaking the truth or not. I'm not saying he is or is not, but this is not a defense of his message as an authentic expression of Christianity.
Martin Cash
AG
brs4688 said:

Uh, yes. False prophets do that all the time.
bigcat22
AG
dermdoc said:

To me, that is not how he presents his message but each to his own. I have much more trouble with somebody like John Piper who says you can lose your salvation if you retire and do nothing. Or Francis Chan who also questions your salvation unless you live like him. But that is just me.

I'm probably naive on this, but can't say I'm familiar with these criticisms of Piper and Chan.

As far as Osteen, I tend to agree with this harsh criticism

schmendeler
AG
I generally don't trust anyone with a permed mullet.
dermdoc
AG
John Piper from his book Rethinking Retirement

"So when the fear of persevering raises its head, don't try to overcome it by saying "Oh, there is no danger, we don't need to persevere". You do. There will be NO salvation in the end for people who do not fight the good fight and finish the race and keep the faith and treasure Christ's appearing."

So no salvation unless you adhere to what Piper says which is definitely not Scriptural. And from a "10 point Calvinist". Read what these guys actually say and not how they say it,

Chan stuff to follow.

And edited to add that there is nothing wrong with Piper stating his views and theology on retirement. The problem is when he unequivocally says you will lose your salvation unless you believe as he does. And if he is truly a Calvinist, how can an elect "lose" their salvation? Horrible theology.
dermdoc
AG
Francis Chan questions the salvation of "lukewarm" Christians. And he defines what that means according to him. Does that mean you have to be in church a certain number of days, visit a certain number of the sick, go to prisons, give the amount of money Chan thinks is appropriate?

This is Lordship salvation where pastors, not Jesus or Scripture define what it takes to be a Christian. Horrible theology.
Zobel
AG
I mean... I don't know what context came with that quote, and I don't have any idea at all what retirement from our job has to do with salvation...

But there's nothing unscriptural about the link between salvation and perseverance.

Jesus Christ says it twice in St Matthew's gospel -

"Because of the multiplication of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold. But the one who perseveres to the end will be saved."

"You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved."

And in St Luke's
"By your patient endurance, you will gain your souls."

"But the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance."

St Paul says "God 'will repay each one according to his deeds.' To those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life."

St James, "Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him" and "We count those blessed who endured."

Hebrews says "For you have need of endurance, so that, having done the will of God, you may receive the promise."

dermdoc
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I mean... I don't know what context came with that quote, and I don't have any idea at all what retirement from our job has to do with salvation...

But there's nothing unscriptural about the link between salvation and perseverance.

Jesus Christ says it twice in St Matthew's gospel -

"Because of the multiplication of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold. But the one who perseveres to the end will be saved."

"You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved."

And in St Luke's
"By your patient endurance, you will gain your souls."

"But the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance."

St Paul says "God 'will repay each one according to his deeds.' To those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life."

St James, "Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him" and "We count those blessed who endured."

Hebrews says "For you have need of endurance, so that, having done the will of God, you may receive the promise."

Agree. But Piper is a proclaimed Calvinist. And I am very wary when a preacher condemns people to hell.

And I doubt if Orthodox theology condemns people to hell if they retire and relax a little.
Zobel
AG
As for being "lukewarm"... Revelation 3 says "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you would be cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I am about to spit you out of My mouth...He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.