Good example...

3,794 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by kurt vonnegut
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
of the cancer of political partisanship infecting the church:

We hear a lot around here about the problems w/ "progressive Christianity". This is the flip side of that. This isn't about Trump, so much as it's about invoking terms like "godly" to promote one's political agenda.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Maybe they were thinking more Rehoboam than Hezekiah. It's not like all the biblical leaders were paragons of virtue and piety after all.

And maybe the "godly" comment is in regards to his ego. You're being too nitpicky, you see
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
Well, I first thought of Manasseh, but then I remembered that he actually repented.
Martin Q. Blank
Can you name a more biblical president?
88Warrior
I lost interest when I read "Michele Bachmann"..got to consider the source..
ramblin_ag02
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

https://religionnews.com/2015/02/16/u-s-presidents-religious/

Not sure if this is what you were looking for. Apparently Garfield was straight up clergy. Otherwise Madison, McKinley and Carter were all very religious
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Martin Q. Blank
ramblin_ag02 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

https://religionnews.com/2015/02/16/u-s-presidents-religious/

Not sure if this is what you were looking for. Apparently Garfield was straight up clergy. Otherwise Madison, McKinley and Carter were all very religious
Great. I said biblical president. Pacifist would say that's an oxymoron.
AGC
AG
This isn't forum 16. Put it where it belongs please.
PacifistAg
AG
Nope. This is relevant here, as it relates to religion as well considering the objection is over the use of terms like "godly" in the context used.

Thanks for your concern though.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

What makes a president 'biblical'?

PacifistAg
AG
That's one of the questions I have, but to me the bigger issue is her calling him "godly", when even he has boasted of never asking for forgiveness and, from what we see, bears no fruit of the Spirit. And using God to advance a partisan agenda should really be disturbing for any follower of Christ.

But, as for your question, the only thing I can think of is the oft-misinterpreted Romans 13, but that would make all political leaders "biblical". It's such an absurd usage of the term "biblical".
kurt vonnegut
AG
PacifistAg said:

That's one of the questions I have, but to me the bigger issue is her calling him "godly", when even he has boasted of never asking for forgiveness and, from what we see, bears no fruit of the Spirit. And using God to advance a partisan agenda should really be disturbing for any follower of Christ.

I disagree. When he drinks his little wine and has his little cracker, I guess that is a form of him asking for forgiveness.
AGC
AG
PacifistAg said:

Nope. This is relevant here, as it relates to religion as well considering the objection is over the use of terms like "godly" in the context used.

Thanks for your concern though.

Would your preference be

A) another gay thread about buttigieg telling pence to blame his creator and discussing the south bend mayor talking about how he's more godly than trump with new posts for every policial person talking about religion,

Or B) rampant whataboutism in this thread (which you don't seem to appreciate)?

That's really where this thread will head.
Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg said:

But, as for your question, the only thing I can think of is the oft-misinterpreted Romans 13, but that would make all political leaders "biblical". It's such an absurd usage of the term "biblical".
Can you name a more godly president?
Aggrad08
AG
Can you not?
Martin Q. Blank
Aggrad08 said:

Can you not?
Of course, but as a pacifist, I would think being president in itself makes you ungodly. i.e. it is a sin for a Christian to hold political office.
PacifistAg
AG
One thread and I'm already reminded why I've been posting here less.
kurt vonnegut
AG
PacifistAg said:

Ah, don't be like that. At times like this, you should remember the wisdom of our most godly and biblical president ever:

"When people wrong you, go after those people, because it is a good feeling and because other people will see you doing it. I always get even."
-Donald J. Trump
Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg said:

I see you're unable to disagree with Mrs. Bachmann.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

In his defense, he has at least stated an opinion and offered some defense for it. Some on this thread have only offered cryptic questions, dodged inquiries about those questions, and then criticized others for their positions.
Martin Q. Blank
kurt vonnegut said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

In his defense, he has at least stated an opinion and offered some defense for it. Some on this thread have only offered cryptic questions, dodged inquiries about those questions, and then criticized others for their positions.
In her defense, it was a prediction. She may be right, but I hope not.
PA24
AG

Ask the right and he is King Cyrus
Ask the left and he is the son of Satan

No matter your position, DJT is a man for ages.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

kurt vonnegut said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

In her defense, it was a prediction. She may be right, but I hope not.
She offered more than a prediction within that sound bite.
PacifistAg
AG
Duggins90 said:

Ask the right and he is King Cyrus
Ask the left and he is the son of Satan

No matter your position, DJT is a man for ages.

Well, I'm neither, but just have an issue with professed Christians bestowing labels like "godly" on people for no reason other than being part of the same political tribe. Especially people of such questionable character. That thinking is cancerous and damaging to the witness of the church.
Duncan Idaho
kurt vonnegut said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

What makes a president 'biblical'?

Yeah I don't get this either. A "biblical president" is a pretty low bar to set. Killing all the first born in your country would be pretty biblical, so would demanding 100 foreskins, so would killing a servant of God because your step daughter asked hlyou to, so would well any number of other things. For the most part the rulers in the Bible are not really all that Godly.

Duncan Idaho
I listen to Jan Markell (the show where Michelle made these comments) almost every Saturday....she is a nut. It is fascinating to listen every week. It is like a glimpse inside the crazy house.
Duncan Idaho
The whole argument she made for thinking trump is the most godly is that he is anti-choice and supports Israel. Now you can discuss if he has those two stances due to his beliefs or out of political expediency
dermdoc
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I listen to Jan Markell (the show where Michelle made these comments) almost every Saturday....she is a nut. It is fascinating to listen every week. It is like a glimpse inside the crazy house.
Now you know how I feel when I listen to NPR, the View, etc. They sound like nutcases to me. That's why I think religion and politics do not mix.
Duncan Idaho
Glad that we can agree that hassleback chick is a loon.
dermdoc
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Obviously who you think is a loon is totally different than who I think is a loon. Hard enough to discuss on one of the two but combining religion and politics is doomed to failure. And the left is just as bad as the right when they try to use welfare as a religious thing.
88Warrior
dermdoc said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Obviously who you think is a loon is totally different than who I think is a loon. Hard enough to discuss on one of the two but combining religion and politics is doomed to failure. And the left is just as bad as the right when they try to use welfare as a religious thing.

Amen Doc...
dermdoc
AG
And abortion to me is not a religious issue. It is a human rights decision. Baby has rights too.
Woody2006
AG
I can't imagine something I would want less than a "biblical" president.

You guys have seen all the awful things the Bible tells people to do.
dermdoc
AG
Woody2006 said:

I can't imagine something I would want less than a "biblical" president.

You guys have seen all the awful things the Bible tells people to do.

Like healing the sick, raising the dead, dying for others, loving your neighbor as yourself, doing unto others as you would have them do to you, etc?
Post removed:
by user
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.