David's Sling

1,835 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PA24
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This topic has interested me for a while because I read the Bible verses in 1 Samuel 17:

Quote:

4 And there came out from the camp of the Philistines a champion named Goliath of Gath, whose height was six[a] cubits[b] and a span. 5 He had a helmet of bronze on his head, and he was armed with a coat of mail, and the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels[c] of bronze. 6 And he had bronze armor on his legs, and a javelin of bronze slung between his shoulders. 7 The shaft of his spear was like a weaver's beam, and his spear's head weighed six hundred shekels of iron.
Now David was basically serving as a quartermaster to supply his older brothers with food:

Quote:

17 And Jesse said to David his son, "Take for your brothers an ephah[e] of this parched grain, and these ten loaves, and carry them quickly to the camp to your brothers. 18 Also take these ten cheeses to the commander of their thousand. See if your brothers are well, and bring some token from them."

19 Now Saul and they and all the men of Israel were in the Valley of Elah, fighting with the Philistines. 20 And David rose early in the morning and left the sheep with a keeper and took the provisions and went, as Jesse had commanded him.
When David convinced Saul to let him fight Goliath, the usual mockery ensued:
Quote:

41 And the Philistine moved forward and came near to David, with his shield-bearer in front of him. 42 And when the Philistine looked and saw David, he disdained him, for he was but a youth, ruddy and handsome in appearance. 43 And the Philistine said to David, "Am I a dog, that you come to me with sticks?"
Sticks??? I always assumed David had only a sling. I was also puzzled that he could generate sufficient kinetic energy to disable Goliath with a hand sling. Until now, that is, because the so called staff sling provides an accurate platform from which to launch heavier stones to a decent range:

And this guy actually launches a good size stone across a 200 yard lake:

Duncan Idaho
Listen to the Malcolm gladwell lecture on this (or read his book)

Basically David brought a gun to a knife. An accurate reenactment would look alot like that scene in Indiana Jones.

https://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gladwell_the_unheard_story_of_david_and_goliath?language=en
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

I always assumed David had only a sling. I was also puzzled that he could generate sufficient kinetic energy to disable Goliath with a hand sling.
Stones from the tradition slings hit with a similar kinetic energy to a .38 caliber handgun (or more).

ETA: I just got to the part of the video where Gladwell discusses this.

I also assumed the stick referenced in verse 41 was just a reference to the shepherds staff mentioned in verse 40.

Quote:

40 Then he took his staff in his hand and chose five smooth stones from the brook and put them in his shepherd's pouch. His sling was in his hand, and he approached the Philistine.
UTExan
Duncan Idaho said:

Listen to the Malcolm gladwell lecture on this (or read his book)

Basically David brought a gun to a knife. An accurate reenactment would look alot like that scene in Indiana Jones.

https://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gladwell_the_unheard_story_of_david_and_goliath?language=en

Thanks. I will check this out.
Duncan Idaho
Word of warning but don't freak out when he says 45mm. He is a Mennonite so it is an understandable mistake.
UTExan
Duncan Idaho said:

Word of warning but don't freak out when he says 45mm. He is a Mennonite so it is an understandable mistake.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. It was a well thought out presentation and the kinetic energy of the hand sling might well have been sufficient. Somehow, the power of the staff sling (used as the Bronze Age equivalent of very light artillery) appeals to me and especially since it was also used during the Middle Ages.
BadBudBam
PA24
AG

Goliath was 9'6"
His spearhead weighted 16 lbs.

Would have been a 5 STAR but had slow feet and was terrible with free throws.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.