Christmas R&P book exchange follow-up

1,138 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, swimmer organized something that I hope we do again this year, which being Aggies would make it an unbreakable tradition. First, thanks to swimmer for doing that. I was curious as to whether or not you've read your books, what they were, and would you recommend them to others here.

As for me, I had received a Doctor Who book, as well as a sci-fi book titled 'The Three-Body Problem'. The TBP is the first volume in a trilogy. It won the Hugo Award. I couldn't put it down, and now my wife and I both finished the entire trilogy. Wow! If you love sci-fi, I could not recommend this more.

Any other recommendations from the books you all received?
schmendeler
AG
I thought it was fun.

I got a "the expanse" boxset. I'm really looking forward to reading it, but I have not yet. but that's normal for me. I may not read a book that I've received or purchased for a year or more as I work my way through books I've already acquired.

as for the three body problem, that trilogy was fantastic. just incredible.
Win At Life
AG
Not part of the book club, but was traveling a lot recently, so I took a couple "American classic " with me.

The Great Gadsby by F Scott Fitzgerald.

A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway

I.

Just.

Don't.

Get.

It.
powerbelly
AG
I really enjoyed the book exchange.

I received The Reformation (link) and really enjoyed it. Wonderful book to leisurely flip through.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Anybody get doxxed or harassed due to participating? That was my main reason for not getting involved.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Anybody get doxxed or harassed due to participating? That was my main reason for not getting involved.
not yet
747Ag
AG
Fun times. Would participate again. Not been doxxed either. ;-)
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world.

The church is near, but the road is icy; the tavern is far, and I will walk carefully.
swimmerbabe11
No. The gb does it every year and has never had an issue. Besides, I have everyone's info, so if someone did harass or doxx you... believe me, I would retaliate worse
DVC2010
AG
*Checks board*

Yep, that's where I thought I was.

I really enjoyed Three Body Problem. The rest of the trilogy has been on my to-read list for a while.

I just finished the most recent book in The Expanse. I'm really pleased with how the series has developed. We are 8 out of 9 books in, and it really hasn't gotten old.
PacifistAg
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

This isn't that board.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

I really enjoyed Three Body Problem. The rest of the trilogy has been on my to-read list for a while.
The 2nd book in the series, The Dark Forest, took me a little bit longer. That was mostly because it was organized differently with fewer chapter breaks. The last one, Death's End, was my favorite. It was phenomenal.
swimmerbabe11
I haven't read the Tolkien books that I recieved yet, but I did read Timothy Keller's The Meaning of Marriage.

I definitely appreciated it, because I know it meant a great deal personally to my gifter and the timing of getting felt significant.

It was surprisingly good. Really easy to read. Lots of hood scriptural background and C.S. Lewis quotes.
Good stuff that I think I definitely needed to read.

I dont think anyone would have a problem with it from any Christian denomination.
DVC2010
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I haven't read the Tolkien books that I recieved yet

Which ones?
swimmerbabe11
The Tolkien reader, unfinished tales, silmarillion, and sir gawan the green knight
powerbelly
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

The Tolkien reader, unfinished tales, silmarillion, and sir gawan the green knight

You need to catch up on Tolkien before the amazon series starts.
DVC2010
AG
Good call. Start with The Silmarillion.
swimmerbabe11
I tried to read it back in Junior high when I read the LOTR series...only book that I have ever deemed too hard for me to get through.

Except twilight, when I read the first 3 pages and realized that it would be too painful to try to read.
powerbelly
AG
I tend to skip around the silmarillion instead of reading through front to back
DVC2010
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I tried to read it back in Junior high when I read the LOTR series...only book that I have ever deemed too hard for me to get through.

Except twilight, when I read the first 3 pages and realized that it would be too painful to try to read.

I couldn't have gotten through it in junior high either. It's a favorite of mine now. The prose is magnificent, and really not that challenging.

The hard part is the proper nouns.
schmendeler
AG
DVC2010 said:

dude, the first one was the "worst" of the three, imo. it gets better.
PacifistAg
AG
schmendeler said:

DVC2010 said:

dude, the first one was the "worst" of the three, imo. it gets better.
Can't argue with that. And this would be freaking amazing!

Quote:

Amazon seems determined to have a Game of Thrones-sized success of its own, recently teaming up with J.R.R. Tolkien's for a Lord of the Rings TV series that could reportedly cost up to $500 million.

They're not stopping there. This week, the Financial Times reports that the studio is in talks to adapt critically-acclaimed Chinese novel series The Three-Body Problem into a three-season show, the price of this being a staggering $1 billion before shooting even begins.
One season for each book! I am giddy with excitement, but also fear it won't happen.
schmendeler
AG
this would be incredible
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.