Dinosaur Board: The Day the Dinosaurs Died

2,458 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Solo Tetherball Champ
Solo Tetherball Champ
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/08/the-day-the-dinosaurs-died

Great Article, though long.

TLDR: Paleontologist discovers what appears to be immediate victims of the Extinction level event that killed off the Dinosaurs.

PacifistAg
AG
Thanks for sharing. My son will love this. We're actually going on a dino road trip this summer for my son's 13th. Going up through Colorado (Dinosaur Resource Center & Dinosaur Ridge), then to an actual dig site in the Hell Creek formation in South Dakota. It's going to be so fun.
Solo Tetherball Champ
PacifistAg said:

Thanks for sharing. My son will love this. We're actually going on a dino road trip this summer for my son's 13th. Going up through Colorado (Dinosaur Resource Center & Dinosaur Ridge), then to an actual dig site in the Hell Creek formation in South Dakota. It's going to be so fun.

Oh, that sounds like so much fun.
amercer
AG
In other Dino news, I read this last week:

http:///www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-47684989

It would be awesome to spend a couple of days at a dig.
powerbelly
AG
Interesting article, I will have to remember to follow up on the reaction to his paper.
Win At Life
AG
I thought the KT boundary has been known for quite a while now. Also , I believe it's generally been proven the impact is still visible at the tip of the Yucatn peninsula.
PacifistAg
AG
Discussed this article w/ my son last night. He was fascinated, and is clearly not a fan of Horner's "t-rex's were scavengers" theory. He's a huge fan of Robert Bakker though.
Post removed:
by user
Solo Tetherball Champ
JJMt said:

It's interesting to read accounts describing how Alvarez worked to destroy the careers of every scientist who disagreed with his thesis that the impact caused the dinosaur extinction. Those accounts shed a lot of light about what we supposedly "know" about science, and how effective science is at self-correcting.
You should check out the book A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson. In addition to giving a fascinating (and fun) survey of many scientific fields, he also looks at the scientists involved in many of the key scientific breakthroughs and discoveries. Many of the men (and women) involved were incredibly petty and flawed, actively seeking to not only sabotage the reputations of those who backed competing theories but also attempting to sabotage their work as well. Some of the stories make Game of Thrones look like a kindergarten playground fight by comparison.

The "dispassionate" man of science is largely a self-serving myth.
Quote:

What I've never seen anybody discuss, at least in the articles that have come across my screen, is whether the extinction event could have been due to multiple causes, such as the impacts and the volcanoes in India. Why does it have to be one or the other?
Truth.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

You should check out the book A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson. In addition to giving a fascinating (and fun) survey of many scientific fields, he also looks at the scientists involved in many of the key scientific breakthroughs and discoveries. Many of the men (and women) involved were incredibly petty and flawed, actively seeking to not only sabotage the reputations of those who backed competing theories but also attempting to sabotage their work as well. Some of the stories make Game of Thrones look like a kindergarten playground fight by comparison.
That's what I was thinking when I read about Horner's reaction to De Palma's discovery of a hadrosaur's fused vertebrae with a t-rex tooth inside, which went against Horner's theory that the tyrannosaurus was a scavenger. He came across very petty with his comment about not really knowing him because they don't really know "students".

I was reading up on Bakker and I know that he and Horner are considered rivals. This is from Bakker's wiki page:
Quote:

Bakker and his 1986 book are mentioned in the original Jurassic Park. The bearded paleontologist Dr. Robert Burke, who is eaten by a Tyrannosaurus rex in Steven Spielberg's film The Lost World: Jurassic Park, is an affectionate caricature of Bakker. In real life, Bakker has argued for a predatory T. rex, while Bakker's rival paleontologist Jack Horner views it as primarily a scavenger. According to Horner, Spielberg wrote the character of Burke and had him killed by the T. rex as a favor for Horner. After the film came out, Bakker recognized himself in Burke, loved the caricature, and actually sent Horner a message saying, "See, I told you T. rexwas a hunter!".

Horner comes across as very petty.
Solo Tetherball Champ
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

That's what I was thinking when I read about Horner's reaction to De Palma's discovery of a hadrosaur's fused vertebrae with a t-rex tooth inside, which went against Horner's theory that the tyrannosaurus was a scavenger. He came across very petty with his comment about not really knowing him because they don't really know "students".

I was reading up on Bakker and I know that he and Horner are considered rivals. This is from Bakker's wiki page:
Quote:

Bakker and his 1986 book are mentioned in the original Jurassic Park. The bearded paleontologist Dr. Robert Burke, who is eaten by a Tyrannosaurus rex in Steven Spielberg's film The Lost World: Jurassic Park, is an affectionate caricature of Bakker. In real life, Bakker has argued for a predatory T. rex, while Bakker's rival paleontologist Jack Horner views it as primarily a scavenger. According to Horner, Spielberg wrote the character of Burke and had him killed by the T. rex as a favor for Horner. After the film came out, Bakker recognized himself in Burke, loved the caricature, and actually sent Horner a message saying, "See, I told you T. rexwas a hunter!".

Horner comes across as very petty.
Yes, he does. Burke, by comparison, comes across as very gracious and self-aware.
amercer
AG
"It is not easy to discover from what cause the acrimony of a scholiast can naturally proceed. The subjects to be discussed by him are of very small importance; they involve neither property nor liberty; nor favour the interest of sect or party. The various readings of copies, and different interpretations of a passage, seem to be questions that might exercise the wit, without engaging the passions.

But whether it be, that small things make mean men proud, and vanity catches small occasions; or that all contrariety of opinion, even in those that can defend it no longer, makes proud men angry; there is often found in commentaries a spontaneous strain of invective and contempt, more eager and venomous than is vented by the most furious controvertist in politicks against those whom he is hired to defame."
Duncan Idaho
amercer said:

In other Dino news, I read this last week:

http:///www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-47684989

It would be awesome to spend a couple of days at a dig.

No saddles, clearly fake
Frok
AG
Anyone else hum the title of this thread to "American Pie" by Don Mclean?
Post removed:
by user
Solo Tetherball Champ
Frok said:

Anyone else hum the title of this thread to "American Pie" by Don Mclean?
"So Bye, Bye, Tyrannosaurus Rex
An asteroid killed all your friends so now you're vexed
All the mammals were celebrating and having joyful cries
Singing this is the day the dinosaurs die
This is the day the dinosaurs die"

It's all I've got, I'm sure some of y'all could do much better.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.