What is the significance of this?

1,957 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw this today and I thought it was really interesting. Are there some greater implications behind this? Or is it just a personal preference of Francis in particular? I don't know that it is his reasoning but it seems like you're just asking for disease transmission with that many people kissing the same spot in such a short time.

jkag89
There is no real significance other than it seems a bit ungracious.on Frankie's part. I get his position, I would find it somewhat embarrassing but it is a traditional devotion (in some places it is even customary to kiss a priest's hand)., In other words, it is part of what comes with the position and it will rankle the feathers of traditional Catholics unnecessarily.
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
AstroAg17 said:

The communion chalice seems like a bigger risk than ring kissing.
I've been told by others on here that it is impossible for disease to be transmitted via a shared communion vessel.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I couldn't find anything on why he was pulling his hand away, lots of speculation though.
swimmerbabe11
just from the whole silver/gold chalice thing, yeah the ring kissing is a bunch more germy.

But based on my extensive knowledge of period piece television shows, kissing the ring of bishops and popes is super standard.

For the record, if we ever finally have an R&P tailgate/HH/whatever, if any of you want to kneel/bow/curtsy and kiss my ring, I will totally allow it.
jkag89
My post is also somewhat speculative in why the Pope is refusing the tradition.. This is a matter of practice which it is know that Frankie is not big on such matters of formality, it does not indicate any sort of shift in theology.
Ordhound04
AG
From the video, it looks like those who are bowing and not trying to actively kiss his ring he was allowing to. It's only when people try to aggressively kiss the ring he pulls back.

It even looks like some of the people caught on and started to try and quickly kiss his ring before he could pull it away.
jkag89
Vatican says Pope's viral ring-kissing rebuff was driven by concern for 'hygiene'...
swimmerbabe11
Is shaking hands *that* much more germy than these people barely kissing his hand?

The world's a gross place.
schmendeler
AG
I mean putting something in your hand seems less germy than putting it in your mouth. But maybe that's just me?
swimmerbabe11
Quote:

For the record, if we ever finally have an R&P tailgate/HH/whatever, if any of you want to kneel/bow/curtsy and kiss my ring, I will totally allow it.

If you are putting my ring *in* your mouth, you are excluded from this invite

But seriously. People, are nasty. Touch your phone, door handles, the stair rail.. people touch their ears, nose, mouth, etc and go on with life all the time.

The surface of your lips is probably in contact with less gross stuff (hopefully) throughout the day than your hands.

****this message not endorsed by the CDC, please wash your hands and phones often
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.