Love this message

2,496 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Win At Life
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
swimmerbabe11
the phrase "Jesus-looking God" kind of bothers me.
I am not sure I have the words to explain why... perhaps.. as a traditional, high church type of gal, who likes "structured religion" ... maybe I feel like he is saying that the God that I worship doesn't look like Jesus?

I know he is more addressing the America-centric type of churches.. but still.

Also, I really want to know if he watches sports and talks across the table with that body language.. WATCH YOUR DRINKS PEOPLE, GREG BOYD'S TEAM JUST SCORED A TD!

Frok
AG
I think I generally fall in the camp that Greg Boyd is referring to. We can get caught up in what is biblical truth, what is God like, etc. and then lose sight of desiring mercy and forgiveness for others.

PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

the phrase "Jesus-looking God" kind of bothers me.
I am not sure I have the words to explain why... perhaps.. as a traditional, high church type of gal, who likes "structured religion" ... maybe I feel like he is saying that the God that I worship doesn't look like Jesus?

I know he is more addressing the America-centric type of churches.. but still.

Also, I really want to know if he watches sports and talks across the table with that body language.. WATCH YOUR DRINKS PEOPLE, GREG BOYD'S TEAM JUST SCORED A TD!
When he talks of a "Jesus-looking God", he's referring to the fact that Jesus is what God looks like. Often we take depictions of who God is that look nothing like what is revealed through the exact representation of God's nature...Jesus Christ, and apply those to God. It's really something he goes in depth about in his masterful work Crucifixion of the Warrior God (or the condensed version - Cross Vision).

And yes, he is certainly a hand-talker lol. I'm the same way, and often find myself apologizing to people I interview for talking with my hands so much.
swimmerbabe11
I think I figured out what it is.

Christ is God. The Holy Spirit is God. The Father is God.
Many people who only look at Jesus, forget the rest of the trinity. I think I don't like the condensing of God to Christ only. Also, those people tend to forget the wine crushing, sword wielding, grapes of wrath Christ..and make him all fluff and no tough stuff...

When I was a child, I used to always say the Holy Spirit was my favorite part of the Trinity because He was the most underrated, least talked about, but he did super important stuff like baptizing babies! (direct quote of 8 year old me)
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

I think I don't like the condensing of God to Christ only.
I don't see it as condensing God to "Christ only", but the Scriptures tell us that Christ is the exact representation of God. Not that the Holy Spirit isn't or that they look any different, but Christ in the flesh is the clearest picture man has of what God truly looks like.
swimmerbabe11
I don't mean to be one of "those"
but what verses do you use to say "exact representation" ?
PacifistAg
AG
Oh, I would never consider you one of "those". Hebrews 1:1-3:
Quote:

God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power.
We also see this reinforced, IMO, in the 10th chapter when the author of Hebrews refers to the Law as a shadow. An analogy I've found useful is with shadow puppets on a wall. Before Jesus, we saw the shadow and swore it was a dog that was casting that shadow. We weren't purposely wrong or misrepresenting. We were going by what we could see at the time. Christ comes and, especially on the cross, reveals that it wasn't a dog, but it was His hands forming the shadow. Christ reveals the truth behind the shadow.
swimmerbabe11
You people think I am way nicer than I am.
One of these days we really need to organize a Houston hh
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

You people think I am way nicer than I am.
One of these days we really need to organize a Houston hh
I'd be down, although I'm in CS now. And heck, you're probably the nicest person around these parts. Admittedly, we've also set a pretty low bar in that department.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I respect where your coming from on this, but I have to disagree. Christ was fully God, but His role was different when on Earth. He played the role of suffering servant to redeem us and show us and teach us how humans should live with perfect humility. God the Father is not human, is not a servant, and is not humble. So trying to extrapolate those features of Jesus to God the Father is erroneus
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
I think God came as Christ because He loved us so much He wanted to what our lives were like. And to teach how to discover true joy and fulfillment.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
You need to come by the humble abode sometime
PacifistAg
AG
Except Christ is the exact representation of God's nature. Not just a partial representation, but the exact. There's no clearer picture of God's nature than Christ, specifically Christ on the cross.
PacifistAg
AG
What part of town are you at? Will definitely need to get together. Ever go to Aggie baseball games?
swimmerbabe11
PacifistAg said:

What part of town are you at? Will definitely need to get together. Ever go to Aggie baseball games?

If you have listened to a baseball game, you have probably heard Dermdoc
PacifistAg
AG
Haha! Well, I think we need to arrange an Aggie baseball meetup with anyone willing to come up.
Frok
AG
Did someone say baseball? I'm listening.
UTExan
The world won't be transformed until Jesus returns and sets up his kingdom, dispensing God-centered justice. Anything else is a weak imitation.
PacifistAg
AG
UTExan said:

The world won't be transformed until Jesus returns and sets up his kingdom, dispensing God-centered justice. Anything else is a weak imitation.
Well, we are supposed to be imitators of Christ. It may be a weak imitation, but it's far better than no imitation. And I would vehemently disagree that the world won't be transformed. The early Church transformed the Roman Empire. Sadly, we saw the Roman Empire turn around and distort the Church w/ the lure of political power, but it's folly to deny the transformative power of the Spirit here and now.

This seems to have a very low view of the transformative power of the Spirit working through the Church here and now.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Exact representation is an oxymoron. Representations are by definition limited expressions of a thing.

Jesus isn't a representation of God and limited. He is God. But again, during His earthly life He was meek and suffering. Are you saying that God the Father is meek?
dermdoc
AG
PacifistAg said:

We are actually in Lexington for Aggie baseball as I type. And I live out in the woods right past Easterwood with a septic tan, propane, deer, wild hogs, guns, and Bibles. All I need is a still.
PacifistAg
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Exact representation is an oxymoron. Representations are by definition limited expressions of a thing.

Jesus isn't a representation of God and limited. He is God. But again, during His earthly life He was meek and suffering. Are you saying that God the Father is meek?
Exact representation is the phrase used, and I agree that Jesus is God. Jesus reveals God's nature to us, as He is an exact representation of God's nature. If God's nature looks different than what Jesus reveals Him to, then Jesus is not an exact representation of His nature, as Scripture claims.
PacifistAg
AG
dermdoc said:

PacifistAg said:

We are actually in Lexington for Aggie baseball as I type. And I live out in the woods right past Easterwood with a septic tan, propane, deer, wild hogs, guns, and Bibles. All I need is a still.
Lucky! Lexington is a nice area.
dermdoc
AG
PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

PacifistAg said:

Second time here as we were here when Acie Law took us to the Sweet sixteen. Buffalo Trace tour today and baseball tonight.
UTExan
PacifistAg said:

UTExan said:

Well, we are supposed to be imitators of Christ. It may be a weak imitation, but it's far better than no imitation. And I would vehemently disagree that the world won't be transformed. The early Church transformed the Roman Empire. Sadly, we saw the Roman Empire turn around and distort the Church w/ the lure of political power, but it's folly to deny the transformative power of the Spirit here and now.

This seems to have a very low view of the transformative power of the Spirit working through the Church here and now.

Not a low view of the church so much as a perspective that human beings are inherently flawed and capable of great evil. I believe more in the prophecies in Daniel and Revelation, which tells that even after 1,000 years of peace, Satan will be unbound for a short period of time to deceive the nations once again and incite them to rebellion against the Lord Jesus Christ before he and his angels are once again thrown permanently into the lake of fire. Transformation of geographic areas is certainly possible through revival, but those are cyclical events. The idea of transforming the whole planet seems to bear certain parallels with process theology and as an end in itself does not appeal. Winning souls to Jesus Christ OTOH is a very desirable thing. Just my .02.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Not a low view of the church so much as a perspective that human beings are inherently flawed and capable of great evil.
I didn't say a low view of the church. It's a low view of the transformative power of the Spirit working through the Church. Yes, human beings are flawed. That's where the transformation comes in. We've seen it before, and we can't be a witness to that Kingdom if we hide behind the fact that we're flawed.

Quote:

Winning souls to Jesus Christ OTOH is a very desirable thing.
Making disciples is what we're charged to do. That requires transformation. It's not about saying a prayer, then moving on and rationalizing our failures by claiming "meh, we're inherently flawed humans".
swimmerbabe11
There is a gorgeous old Lutheran church there that I love and used to visit pretty often in a past life. Feels like a lifetime ago.
Serotonin
AG
dermdoc said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

PacifistAg said:

Second time here as we were here when Acie Law took us to the Sweet sixteen. Buffalo Trace tour today and baseball tonight.

I'm jealous. Enjoy!
Serotonin
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

There is a gorgeous old Lutheran church there that I love and used to visit pretty often in a past life. Feels like a lifetime ago.

Bach and some of the incredible old Lutheran architecture are almost enough to make me become Lutheran. Almost.
Bryanisbest
AG
He is trying to counteract the fact that most of Christianity thinks God's character is different from Jesus. This is a huge lie.
Win At Life
AG
Bryanisbest said:

He is trying to counteract the fact that most of Christianity thinks God's character is different from Jesus. This is a huge lie.
Is he lying, or is it a lie that God's character is different from Jesus?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.