Hallucinogens, Mystical Experiences, and Mental Disorder

1,925 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Frok
americathegreat1492
How long do you want to ignore this user?

This is a presentation from a few years ago on the research for psilocybin. Starting around that time and continuing to today we have very promising trials in Phase 2 and 3 for treatment of treatment resistant depression and PTSD (with MDMA).

Take a gander. I have a conceptualization about disorder that I think lines up with these effects and the outcomes produced by therapy.
Duncan Idaho
Firmly believe the world would be a much better place if everyone that is mentally healthy enough went on a guided trip.

I read a section of one of those "heaven is for real" books that my girlfriend had laying around. And the way the woman described her experience was IDENTICAL to a really nice trip.

I love this clip of a housewife going on an acid trip. Her line around 5:25 about feeling sorry for him because he can't see it Is perfect.

Macarthur
Fascinating subject. Rogen had a recent podcast with Dr. Andrew Weir and they touch on this type of stuff. I find the concept of our 'mind being in the way' regarding many things from consiousness, pain, etc. to be incredibly fascinating.
chimpanzee
Getting into brain chemistry and perception/reality/free will discussions is fascinating stuff. Just look at how any two people might handle a given situation mentally and you start opening up those possibilities.

americathegreat1492
This is long and not that well-written, but here's a few of my thoughts on this topic.

It looks like consciousness operates as a means to direct us to particular kinds or types of information in the environment (both physical and mental) and tell us how to interpret that information. Consciousness is a kind if attentional, perceptual, and interpretive bias. We can, of course, adopt different biases at different times. Some biases are more effective for particular problems or situations, some are not.

I have been conceptualizing of mental disorder as a particular set of attentional, perceptual, and interpretive biases. In other words, I've been thinking about mental disorder as a particular frame of consciousness. The issue with disorder is that certain frames are destructive or ineffective. The other issue with disorder is people are "stuck" in these particular perceptual frames.

One element of consciousness that I haven't described is its ability to shift. Yes, consciousness is a particular perceptual frame, but consciousness also has to capacity to shift frames. Some people are more effective at certain times in shifting their perceptual frame. As it turns out, so-called altered states of consciousness are associated with the ability to shift perceptual frames more readily. One such state is something called a flow-state. Entering into a flow-state, whether via meditation, prayer, or hallucinogens greatly increases one's capacity to shift one's perceptual frame.

If we conceptualize a mental disorder as a particular perceptual frame that someone is stuck in, we find some new, interesting treatments. Namely, the above interventions of meditation, prayer, or even hallucinogens. Maybe unsurprisingly, these interventions in consciousness are turning out to be far more efficacious than any treatment that we currently have today.

The likelihood of a decrease in self-referential processing in meditative/hallucinogenic states is pretty mind-blowing as well. I have to think more about it before I comment further there.
Texaggie7nine
I really think we will be better off in the future where this type of treatment is normal. I've seen tremendous positive change with just marijuana, let alone hallucinogens.

One of my nephews in Alabama was turning out to be a pretty racist and homophobic kid until the first time he got high around 17 years old. He explained to me how, for the first time he was really able to see the issue from black people or gay people's side. He said he felt absolutely miserable when he realized what he would feel like if people he lived around hated him simply for something he couldn't help but be. He was a completely different person from then on. For the better.

As you say, people get stuck into such narrow minded perspectives that all they can do is dig in further to their world view and refuse to see it any other way. Some times it takes radical chemistry changes in their brain before they are capable of changing their perspectives.
7nine
Macarthur
Wow. That's an incredible testimonial.
americathegreat1492
Word. One way to have compassion on the racist is to recognize that "perspectives" are a basic, top-down element of consciousness that every living person on planet earth adopts in every moment of their life. The other term for what consciousness is doing is called relevance realization.

As a side note, I think I might have figured out consciousness, or at least what's wrong with how we're treating it. All the research is still really new so it's provisional. When I get some time I'll post up my conclusions.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I really think we will be better off in the future where this type of treatment is normal. I've seen tremendous positive change with just marijuana, let alone hallucinogens.

One of my nephews in Alabama was turning out to be a pretty racist and homophobic kid until the first time he got high around 17 years old. He explained to me how, for the first time he was really able to see the issue from black people or gay people's side. He said he felt absolutely miserable when he realized what he would feel like if people he lived around hated him simply for something he couldn't help but be. He was a completely different person from then on. For the better.

As you say, people get stuck into such narrow minded perspectives that all they can do is dig in further to their world view and refuse to see it any other way. Some times it takes radical chemistry changes in their brain before they are capable of changing their perspectives.

That is really amazing
administrative errors
I am so excited about the direction of this research and treatment potentials.
Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
Frok
AG
Seems like using hallucinogens would be a two-way street. Good and bad. I'm skeptical. Lots of money to be made with drugs and then the same problem that started will still exist.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.