In search of books

2,775 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Martin Q. Blank
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recs on books relating to:

1. Scientific basis for existence of God or higher intelligence.

2. Scientific basis for existence of extraterrestrial life/civilizations

Thanks!
Hyacinth
There isn't a scientific basis for God's existence. Therefore science will neither prove nor disprove his existence. If you need a book about how science and religion can coexist, Finding Darwin's God is a good one. I think there are some holes in the author's reasoning as it relates to God's interaction in our world, but a good start nonetheless.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I always talk up Gerald Schroeder. He's an Orthodox Jewish theoretical physicist, and nowadays he specializes on the intersection of science and faith. If nothing else his books help show that there is no inherent incompatibility between faith and science
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Texaggie7nine
Maybe try The Goldilocks Enigma by Paul Davies.
7nine
Post removed:
by user
swimmerbabe11
Case for Christ by lee strobel.. although I think that may be more historical than science.
AggieRain
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Case for Christ by lee strobel.. although I think that may be more historical than science.

Case for a Creator is the science-based book in that series. Maybe dated now, and heavy on ID, but still some interesting components.
chuckd
AG
The Mythology of Science, R. J. Rushdoony
The Defense of the Faith, Cornelius Van Til
Pushing the Antithesis, Greg Bahnsen
Zobel
AG
The Hexaemeron by St Basil
Ciboag96
The Call of the Cosmos: What the Universe Reveals About God by Dr. Paul Nelson

Hank Hannegraff has a podcast "Hank Unplugged" that is a hour and a half interview with DR. Paul Nelson about this book. Nov 19, 2018
Shakes the Clown
Anything by Hugh Ross

....thank me later !
LonghornDub
The best I've read is "Amazing Truths" by Michael Guillan, an ordained physicist. You need some knowledge of physics to fully appreciate it. The chapter on Light is fascinating. Everything we know of is either mass or energy - except light, which has characteristics of both. He makes some very interesting jumps from there.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

Aggie4Life02
AG
Luke Heaton
I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist has been recommended to me by plenty of people.
txcincinnatus
AG
The Case for Jesus: The Biblical and Historical Evidence for Christ by Brant Pitre
oldarmy1
AG
Brad is a PHD who was lead to believe in the existence of God through his studies in science.

https://www.amazon.com/Convicted-Scientist-Examines-Evidence-Christianity-ebook/dp/B00359FI1Y/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=convicted%21&qid=1553391012&s=books&sr=1-2
reemus
My hobby is reading books and tried to write my own stories. But I can say that it is a bit hard, because my writing skills are not perfect and need to be improvement. In college I sometimes have problems when I got task to write my paper.
Win At Life
AG
queso1 said:

Any recs on books relating to:

1. Scientific basis for existence of God or higher intelligence.

2. Scientific basis for existence of extraterrestrial life/civilizations

Thanks!
I'll answer #1. The scientific basis for the existence of God cannot exist by definition of the scientific method. Let me explain.

For example, the scientific basis for the existence of the charge of an electron being 1.60217662 10-19 coulombs, is based on numerous repeatable experiments that reveal this number. The repeatability of this result is defined to be "scientific" knowledge by the definition of science. In the rare case that an experiment produces a different number, that is discarded as invalid.

In short, when God does things with repeatable certainty, we declare that as science and not as God. If God chose to work a miracle and make this number different for a particular measurement, that miraculous evidence would be discarded by the definition of science requiring repeatable results to be deemed scientific. This doesn't make the scientific method invalid. It just means that the definition we've chosen for the method of scientific validity invalidates the ability to prove God with science.

Having said that, it would seem having "God is Lord" float along in the clouds on days of the year that are prime numbers would seem to go along way toward reconciling this problem.
Post removed:
by user
Win At Life
AG
JJMt said:

Can't science point to the existence of God, though?

For example, it would seem that at least these three scientific matters point to or suggest the existence of God:

1. The Universe had a beginning;
2. The universe and earth are not only fine tuned, but are fine tuned for life; and
3. The existence of information, particularly genetic information (although some argue that everything in the universe is ultimately information, a point I'll readily admit that I don't understand).

In addition, the arguments of specified complexity and irreducible complexity would seem to be scientific evidence or arguments for the existence of God.

1) many scientists are speculating about multi-verses, or causes before the Big Bang of our universe, other dimensions outside our universe, etc. it seems unlikely they will be able to ever provide actual evidence of these things, but it doesn't stop them from presuming that such a thing likely exists, which diminishes the need for a god to answer these question about a beginning to the space-time that we are able to observe from our vantage point.

2) Trillions of worlds would likely produce millions of planets with substantially similar conditions to ours, so we are not likely unique in that regard according to them.

3) that's the basic argument for what evolution likely produces according to their theory.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
94chem
Shakes the Clown said:

Anything by Hugh Ross

....thank me later !
Hugh Ross, The Fingerprint of God, was very helpful to me in college. I arrived at A&M strong in my faith, but also with some baggage about the Genesis account of creation. Ross laid the foundation for me to get rid of that baggage, strengthen my faith, and have good relationships with biologists, geologists, geneticists, and other scientists.
Martin Q. Blank
JJMt said:

Can't science point to the existence of God, though?
It doesn't point to. It can't exist without God.
Martin Q. Blank
I don't speak Latin, but I assume that's bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.