Extraordinary Form vs Novus Ordo (for Roman Catholics)

1,776 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Serotonin
FTACo88-FDT24dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would like to get into a respectful discussion with my fellow Roman Catholics about the Extraordinary Form of the Latin Mass and the Novus Ordo post Vatican II form that we all celebrate these days. I slipped out of a seminar and went to Mass at Annunciation Cathedral in Houston today and it happened to be a EF Latin Mass. Quite a different experience from what most of us have known for most of our lives.

PS - to keep it light, I was reading some latin mass vs novus ordo mass debate online and came across this joke:

What are the only two things that don't change at a Jesuit Mass?? The Bread and Wine!
Seamaster
AG
I think its fair to say that there is a lot wrong with the Novus Ordo - at least in terms of how its implemented in 99% of the parishes in the United States.

Communion in the hand.

"Presider" facing the 'audience'

'Extraordinary" ministers of Holy Communion all over the place

The notion that the liturgy is the 'work of the people' instead of work 'for' the people which led to this belief that "active participation" means that lay people have to get up and read and we all have to hold hands during the our Father etc.

The Novus Ordo is licit but needs serious reform.

wbt5845
AG
I like the old mass, but only occasionally. To me, it's like a rich dessert - I like it, but I can't take it all the time

A lot of Seamaster's complaints have nothing to do with the new mass - it has to do with the implementation. Vatican II said nothing about holding hands - that's an extracurricular that's crept in. Also doing the orans posture.

You do not have to recieve communion in the hand. If the EMs at your parish give you an ugly look, tell Father afterwards - the EM has no business judging how you prefer to recieve the Sacrament.

I just go to the sign in book in the Narthex before Mass and look to see where Father will be and sit in that section. I had one of the Sacristans say to me "do you prefer to go to Father for communion?" and I just said "yep".
Zobel
AG
Liturgy is not work for the people. It's not really work of the people per se. I think the clearest explanation I've heard is that it is a common act. "Work" in our vernacular is a bit loaded. But it certainly is not something done FOR the people, unless you have a very specific intent in mind (ie that it is done by God for all of the people including the clergy). But the clergy are part of the people - - they are certainly not "doing" the liturgy FOR the people, apart from them.

The people do it, you can't have a liturgy without the laity. They're not merely spectators, they are involved in the act of worship and offer themselves as living sacrifices, joined in communion with the once for all sacrifice.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
"They're not merely spectators, they are involved in the act of worship and offer themselves as living sacrifices, joined in communion with the once for all sacrifice."

I think this is the key. While the priest is acting In Persona Christi, the "crowd" should be focused on what is taking place at the altar and offering themselves and joining their own sacrifices with the sacrifice taking place in front of them.

I think this is true regardless of whether the Mass is the EF or the NO form, although it is easier to do IMHO in the EF.
Serotonin
AG
Good thread topic.

Here is a critique of the Novus Ordo by a traditionalist Catholic:
http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2018/06/the-byzantine-liturgy-traditional-latin.html

He finds the Novus Ordo lacking when judged by ten principles. It's a pretty interesting read if you have time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.