Biblical views on cremation

1,900 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
Blanco Jimenez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I feel like that's the path I want to go down when it's time but I don't know if there are any biblical views against it. Any help is appreciated.
AggieRain
AG
RCC allows it
94chem
Blanco Jimenez said:

I feel like that's the path I want to go down when it's time but I don't know if there are any biblical views against it. Any help is appreciated.
Dead is dead. God made you out of dust, and he can reconstitute you out of dust. Some people have argued that we bury the body in tact because it shows our hope in the resurrection. That is symbolic, however, and not biblically mandated. I find much greater hope in thinking that all of the people lost at sea, crushed to dust in 9/11, blown up in Hiroshima...God knows every one of them, and he will sort it all out.

So go ahead. Get cremated. Just wait until you die, please.
Martin Q. Blank
At death your body is united to Jesus and kept alive. Your body is at rest while your soul is in heaven until the resurrection. As a matter of faith, you should want your body to be put to rest and not burned up.

Not that God can't resurrect a body cremated or obliterated at Hiroshima. It's just a matter of what you believe about your body between the time of death and resurrection.
Duncan Idaho
More biblical than embalming.

"for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

At death your body is united to Jesus and kept alive. Your body is at rest while your soul is in heaven until the resurrection. As a matter of faith, you should want your body to be put to rest and not burned up.

Not that God can't resurrect a body cremated or obliterated at Hiroshima. It's just a matter of what you believe about your body between the time of death and resurrection.
OK so that's where I've been questioning that, but where does it say that in the Bible?
Martin Q. Blank
1 Thes. 4:14, Dan. 12:2
Pro Sandy
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

As a matter of faith, I dont believe the resurrection is dependent in any form on the action done to my dead body.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Your belief, and you're more than welcome to it, but that is completely a matter of opinion and not relevant to the Faith.
Win At Life
AG
All deaths of the righteous in scripture ( including Yeshua) are recorded as burials and not cremations even though burning of dead bodies was a practice of pagans of the time. Also, not being buried and subject to the elements and critters is always considered a dubious distinction. For what it's worth.
Serotonin
AG
Yeah, it appears that some modern variants of Christian confessions have reverted to a platonic/gnostic idea that the soul is more important than the body.

Historically Christianity has had to argue against this dualism. Both our body and soul belong to Christ and we are to treat them as sacred gifts.
Martin Q. Blank
Pro Sandy said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

As a matter of faith, I dont believe the resurrection is dependent in any form on the action done to my dead body.
I agree. First sentence, second paragraph.
Frok
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Those verses are not describing or hinting at any kind of burial method. They are simply stating that those "who have fallen asleep" aka have died but are believers, will be raised up.

Martin Q. Blank
Frok said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Those verses are not describing or hinting at any kind of burial method. They are simply stating that those "who have fallen asleep" aka have died but are believers, will be raised up.
I didn't say they proved a burial method, only that the body is not dead, but alive and asleep in Christ. It's my opinion that you should treat it as such.
Frok
AG
Fair enough. I think I generally agree but there are circumstances where I can see cremation being a very practical option.
Silky Johnston
What's the point of religion if no one can ever agree on anything?
Martin Q. Blank
Silky Johnston said:

Same argument for politics, art, and restaurants.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Silky Johnston said:

You've clearly never spent time around devout Jewish people. Arguing about minutae is half the fun.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.