Church in Cypress/Tomball area.

4,636 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BanderaAg956
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for a church in the Cypress/Tomball area.

I haven't been a good church goer for a number of years, but I am finding my way back. I was raised going to mostly Baptist and Methodist churches. My mom was raised Baptist; my dad was raised Methodist.

My parents go to 2nd Baptist in Cypress and it just strikes me as meh. My sister and her family go to Good Shepherd United Methodist. Everytime I went with them I thought the service was a bit weird.

I have probably been to service in just about every Christian denomination.

My parents keep trying to get me to go with them but I really don't feel like a fit in and I don't know anyone and it's just huge. My mom just wants me to go to church and I would also like a church to be involved with. So I will ease my conscience and quiet my mother if I can find a place to attend.

So any suggestions? I don't know when to stand up or sit down in the Catholic Church nor do I know all the Latin or whatever you need to say, so probably not Catholic.

And then there is the whole Methodist Church splitting so yeah I dunno. Need help.
AgLiving06
My Church interacts a lot with Salem Lutheran Church.

Have you tried that one out?
schmendeler
AG
parental guilt is a terrible reason to lose your sunday mornings.
Win At Life
AG
If you want to get your parents attention, go Messianic. Problem is, there aren't any in your area. But driving farther just means you really care
Martin Q. Blank
Grace Life Baptist Church www.gracelifebaptist.org
Grace Family Baptist Church www.gracefamilybaptist.net
Grace Community Bible Tomball www.gcbiblechurch.org
Zemira
AG
schmendeler said:

parental guilt is a terrible reason to lose your sunday mornings.

I want to go to church, I just don't want to go to their church which I don't like not feel like I fit in.
Zemira
AG
Win At Life said:

If you want to get your parents attention, go Messianic. Problem is, there aren't any in your area. But driving farther just means you really care

Think I will skip that. I just want a nice church that isn't huge, isn't too different than what I grew up with, and where there are nice people.
Zemira
AG
No I will put it on my list. I haven't been to a Lutheran Church in ages. Will try it out! Thanks!
Zemira
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Thanks I will add to my list!
dermdoc
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Just FYI, that list is tilted heavily towards Calvinistic doctrine from what I can tell about reading the websites beliefs section. If you are a Calvinist, those may be for you. I would make sure I knew what I believed in and study the church websites before deciding.

Edited to add that I personally would have a very hard time raising my kids in a church that taught limited atonement and double predestination. You may be different and those might fit you perfectly.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zemira
AG
Well I'm making a list of recommendations and then researching the churches in the list. Then I'm compiling the list in order of how much I think I would like them to least likely. Then I'm going to visit the ones at the top of my list and see where it goes. Just because it is on "the list" doesn't mean I will actually visit.

So thanks for the insight.
diehard03
Quote:

I just want a nice church that isn't huge, isn't too different than what I grew up with, and where there are nice people.

I would put as a fallback choice to reconsider going with your parents. Large churches are actually fairly easy to get involved in, as they are well aware that people are scared of the size. They normally give a huge consideration to trying to create ways to make the church small and accessible.

Having attended both small and large churches, the net effect is the same - nice people are everywhere and your connection to those people is largely determined on your willingness to get involved in whatever way you can.

Good luck in your search.
Jaydoug
AG
http://www.stanthonythegreat.org/

My travels through the various denominations led me eventually to find the Orthodox Church. This was the church everyone experienced prior to roughly 1000AD. I skipped the Catholic church given my doctrinal issues that, funny enough, were not found in the Orthodox Church.

If anything, it would be a cultural experience. Imagine going back in time to visit an Apostolic Church. The liturgy is over 1700 years old, though its now (mostly) in English. Its a beautiful service, mostly sung, by the priests, deacon and choir.

Don't worry if you "don't know what to do". Just think about it as an adventurous experience, like travelling to a foreign land while being to get to Spring Creek BBQ right afterward.

(You'll also not have to worry about denominational changes. If it hasn't change in 2,000 years, it ain't changing.)

Aggie4Life02
AG
I'm a 1689 Baptist. I attend Good Shepherd United Methodist. It's a pretty conservative Methodist congregation that is very loving and sound. It's right in Fairfield, very close to 2nd Baptist in Cypress.
Frok
AG
We got many flavors of baptist to choose from in the area. (Judging by the examples you sound like Fairfield area)

Fairfield Baptist
First Baptist Cypress
Second Baptist Cypress
The Met
Bayou City Fellowship Cypress - Not baptist but close enough

If you want a reformed or calvinist route see MVB's post.
diehard03
Yall are crazy promoting your deep theology to someone just trying to keep his mom off his/her back.
dermdoc
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

I'm a 1689 Baptist. I attend Good Shepherd United Methodist. It's a pretty conservative Methodist congregation that is very loving and sound. It's right in Fairfield, very close to 2nd Baptist in Cypress.
So you believe the Pope is antiChrist? I believe that is what the 1689 confession said.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

Yall are crazy promoting your deep theology to someone just trying to keep his mom off his/her back.
I think the op is searching on his/her own. Belief in limited atonement and double predestination is a pretty serious matter to consider when picking a church imho. Especially if there are kids involved. That theology paints God's character in a way I do not agree with. Obviously others do as may the op. I would just read the beliefs and decide for yourself.
schmendeler
AG
dermdoc said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

So you believe the Pope is antiChrist? I believe that is what the 1689 confession said.
pretty sure he said just that on a thread on the politics board a few days ago.

whoops, my mistake. it was on here.

https://texags.com/forums/15/topics/3019788/replies/53728489
dermdoc
AG
I forgot.
Zemira
AG
diehard03 said:

I'm 35. If I refuse to go to church my mom can't do much. I wanted to go to church with them it just hasn't been 100% what I am looking for.

And on the big/small church front. I don't want a mega church or a tiny church. I want something in between or medium sized I think.
Zemira
AG
dermdoc said:

diehard03 said:

I think the op is searching on his/her own. Belief in limited atonement and double predestination is a pretty serious matter to consider when picking a church imho. Especially if there are kids involved. That theology paints God's character in a way I do not agree with. Obviously others do as may the op. I would just read the beliefs and decide for yourself.

Yep just me, not married, no kids. The whole church experience seems to have changed in the last 15 years and want ideology that matches up, but also somewhere I feel comfortable. I'm not an outgoing people person and I get intimidated by a lot of people.
Zemira
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

Thanks, I think I need to try their earlier service. I went to the later one several times and it is not for me.

My parents & sister live in Fairfield which is why they both go to nearby churches.
Zemira
AG
I don't think I have ever been to an Orthodox service. Definitely something to look into.

Thanks!
Aggie4Life02
AG
dermdoc said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

an antichrist.
XpressAg09
AG
My wife and I go to Lakewood UMC on Louetta. We like it, so maybe you would, too?
Aggie4Life02
AG
Pretty sure they have women pastors.
swimmerbabe11
I know some Texaggers who go to Trinity Klein Lutheran Church and absolutely love it there.
Win At Life
AG
Zemira said:

diehard03 said:

I'm 35. If I refuse to go to church my mom can't do much. I wanted to go to church with them it just hasn't been 100% what I am looking for.

And on the big/small church front. I don't want a mega church or a tiny church. I want something in between or medium sized I think.
I think I found what you're looking for:

https://www.villasport.com/cypress/about/membership-benefits
http://longwoodgc.com/request_membership/
http://www.kingscourttennisacademy.com/
dermdoc
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

Is that wrong?
schmendeler
AG
Womenfolk belong in the kitchen, and mindin' the youngins!
747Ag
AG
https://reginacaeliparish.org
Aggie4Life02
AG
dermdoc said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Is that wrong?

Yes.
Zemira
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

dermdoc said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Is that wrong?

Yes.

Why is that?
Aggie4Life02
AG
Zemira said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

dermdoc said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Is that wrong?

Yes.

Why is that?

The Bible.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.