One World Religion Coming?

5,825 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by UTExan
HustlerAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do people in this forum believe that one world religion is needed to fulfill the prophesies of Revelation?

If so, does the pope cozy-ing up to a top Islamic leader provide one path to do create such a religion?
Aggie4Life02
AG
Pope is antichrist.
HustlerAggie
Aggie4Life02 said:

Pope is antichrist.
This particular pope or just popes in general?
canadiaggie
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

Pope is antichrist.

Hardline Protestants and Salafis, not much difference
ramblin_ag02
AG
So for those keeping score, the evil army of Revelation was first the Commie Russians, then the Muslims, and now it's an amalgamation of all the major world religions?

I wish people could just be happy when other people talk about peace.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HustlerAggie
ramblin_ag02 said:

So for those keeping score, the evil army of Revelation was first the Commie Russians, then the Muslims, and now it's an amalgamation of all the major world religions?

I wish people could just be happy when other people talk about peace.
I don't know about the evil army, but I remember in church when I was growing up the preacher would always talk about the antichrist establishing a one-world-religion to worship him.

I am not sure of the chapters or verses because it has been too long, but I know a lot of people probably still believe that to be true.
PacifistAg
AG
Yeah that's really big in the "Left Behind" view of Revelation.
Martin Q. Blank
HustlerAggie said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Pope is antichrist.
antichristos

from

anti
I. over against, opposite to, before
II. for, instead of, in place of (something)

Christos
I. Christ = "anointed"

The pope claims to be the Vicarius Christi.

Vicarius is a Latin word, meaning substitute or deputy.
dermdoc
AG
We can't even agree on theology on here. And we are mostly Ags. No way there is a "one world religion". And I personally think the "Left Behind" stuff is not very believable.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Serotonin
AG
dermdoc said:

We can't even agree on theology on here. And we are mostly Ags. No way there is a "one world religion". And I personally think the "Left Behind" stuff is not very believable.
Haha, well put!
Frok
AG
If based on the second beast in Revelation I'm not sure I would call it a one world religion. It sounds like there will still be christians but the "beast" will deceive many and force people to worship him. Then comes the "mark of the beast" requirement for any transaction. That is always a fun one to theorize in today's modern climate.

AggieRain
AG
dermdoc said:

ramblin_ag02
AG
Maybe fun, but to me it's the evangelical Christian equivalent of astrology.
dermdoc
AG
I personally think Revelation was written as an encouragement to the Church and deals with the Romans and things going on at that time. But that does not sell books, movies, etc.
Frok
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Trying to understand a prophecy is astrology? How else am I supposed to read that passage? It's one of the few prophecies that are still in the future. So yeah when I read it I like to wonder what it is referring to. I am well aware I have no idea.

Frok
AG
dermdoc said:

I personally think Revelation was written as an encouragement to the Church and deals with the Romans and things going on at that time. But that does not sell books, movies, etc.

Maybe so, but it sure is detailed if the purpose is just to encourage.

ramblin_ag02
AG
Frok said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Trying to understand a prophecy is astrology? How else am I supposed to read that passage? It's one of the few prophecies that are still in the future. So yeah when I read it I like to wonder what it is referring to. I am well aware I have no idea.

Pretty much. You're trying to guess the future by interpreting symbolic language. Unless your name is Daniel or Joseph you're wasting your time. Unless you have the gift of interpretation of dreams and visions, in which case you wouldn't be guessing.
Beer Baron
AG
The Methodists can't even agree on a single style of Methodism apparently, so I don't see a one world religion happening any time soon.
Frok
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Frok said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Pretty much. You're trying to guess the future by interpreting symbolic language. Unless your name is Daniel or Joseph you're wasting your time. Unless you have the gift of interpretation of dreams and visions, in which case you wouldn't be guessing.

Is claiming that a one-world religion is a silly interpretation of Revelation claiming knowledge of the prophecy? Are you not doing the same thing?
ramblin_ag02
AG
Did I at any point put forth an interpretation of the prophecy? I merely said that act of guessing an interpretation is trivial and frivolous, like astrology.
Frok
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Did I at any point put forth an interpretation of the prophecy? I merely said that act of guessing an interpretation is trivial and frivolous, like astrology.

Trivial is a much better word. I can agree with that. Earlier you made it sound like one should not even theorize what these verses me. I disagree with that.
UTExan
canadiaggie said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Pope is antichrist.

Hardline Protestants and Salafis, not much difference

What is a "hard line Protestant"? Just curious because if by that you mean evangelical Christians committed to bringing the good news of Jesus Christ to the world, that would seem to be a contradictory statement.
BrazosBendHorn
Beer Baron said:

The Methodists can't even agree on a single style of Methodism apparently, so I don't see a one world religion happening any time soon.
Likewise, American Lutherans are divided between ELCA, LCMS, and Wisconsin Synod.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
jkag89
Martin Q. Blank said:

HustlerAggie said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Pope is antichrist.
antichristos

from

anti

Christos
I. Christ = "anointed"

FIFY
dds08
AG
I stumbled across this today:

Christianity, along with owning a Bible, is outlawed in N Korea. From the looks of things, Kim makes the people worship him!
dds08
AG
On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if a one world religion that revolved around money sprang up. The love of money is the root of all evil.
aggiedad20
dermdoc said:

Nor is the "Left Behind" fantasy series Biblical...
dermdoc
AG
Frok said:

If based on the second beast in Revelation I'm not sure I would call it a one world religion. It sounds like there will still be christians but the "beast" will deceive many and force people to worship him. Then comes the "mark of the beast" requirement for any transaction. That is always a fun one to theorize in today's modern climate.

Or John could have been talking about the Roman Empire which to me seems much more likely.
Post removed:
by user
747Ag
AG
jkag89 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

HustlerAggie said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Pope is antichrist.
antichristos

from

anti

Christos
I. Christ = "anointed"

FIFY
Pretty much. "Substitute" is not a connotation we papists work with.
titan
S

Just a philosophical observation on the OP:

Since God is One ---- by definition, somehow pulling off a one-world religion should not automatically be out of line. But if it is some kind of hodge-podge that ignores real differences, that is another matter.

Here is one not to rule out, and should not be assumed to be `evil' if it does happen:

1) Some kind of reunification of West and East Catholic (Roman vs Orthodox).

2) Some kind, yet unknown, of rapprochement with Islam is just conceivable but not in the 1979-9/11 era phase we are in. And yet there are underpinnings that theoretically would allow it. Its not unlike the very great divide from Protestants, while still having considerable in common.

But a ONE world religion? Nah --- if anything, seem to be moving away from it again. What is generally called the Left seems to be adopting a new kind of quasi atheism-pagan (but the classical pagans would not stand for the lack of boundaries) while all the others are digging in.
TRL-Ag
It is somewhat unsettling. I wasn't raised in the Catholic Church, but was raised around it (my dad was raised Catholic & my mom Baptist)

There is something about the Catholic Church that always feels like home. This Pope has made me uncomfortable from day 1 & I hope the next Pope is closer in line with John Paul II
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/212-pope-francis-does-god-will-many-religions-cardinal/id689871918?i=1000429640509&mt=2

Highly recommend listening to this podcast if you have time. The first 30 minutes is sufficient to hear a somewhat dramatic but theologically defensible assessment of Francis's statement on religious pluralism. They also get into a response from at least one Cardinal that not so subtly points the "heresy" finger at Francis. This is serious stuff in the RCC.

TLDR: Francis's statement is heretical.

PS - Taylor Marshall is a Catholic convert from Episcopalianism. He earned a Ph.D. in Philosophy at the University of Dallas with his dissertation titled "Thomas Aquinas on Natural Law and the Twofold Beatitude of Humanity." I think he was an Episcopalian priest. And he's an Ag.

HustlerAggie
Why does the Catholic Church feel like "home"?

I always wondered why catholics were so averse to the Bible, such as why do they think people need to confess to a priest instead of confessing directly to Jesus? (among many other inconsistencies)
Hustle Harder
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.