Picking a new Protestant religion? (Methodist)

6,511 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OnlyForNow
BTHOthatguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I was born into the Methodist church. My grandfather was a circuit preacher, we were all baptized and confirmed in the Methodist church.

Having said that, if the vote goes the wrong way next month I simply can't, in good conscience, contribute funds to the larger church.

Where should I look to take my family? What is the next best thing?
TexagChris17
AG
Catholicism
TexagChris17
AG
In all seriousness though, you shouldn't rule Catholicism out.
Frok
AG
You're asking Texags?
swimmerbabe11
The leap to Catholicism is pretty large. I think everyone on here is going to strongly suggest their own denomination. I, of course, would encourage you to visit some LCMS churches.

But truly, when thinking about changing denominations, you should start with doctrine. What are the primary Methodist doctrines that you can't give up?

For instance, If I felt compelled to leave the Lutheran church, my top priorities would be (in no particular order)
1) adherence to the Nicene Creed
2) infant baptism
3) true respect for the sacrament of communion (no grape juice or "symbolic ritual of remembrance" stuff)
4) sola fida/sola gratia salvation perspective

I could never go back to Rome, although I could consider going east. I would probably find a confessional Anglican church first though.

List those things out for me, then maybe we can help you a bit better. Where are you located?
Post removed:
by user
Martin Q. Blank
John Wesley, et al were Anglican so I'd say Episcopalian. Oh wait, they already had that vote and it went the wrong way.

Are you looking for a liberal denomination like the UMC, but without gay clerics?
AgLiving06
Instead of me recommending something, it would be good to understand what you believe and/or expect from a Church?

Are you looking for a Church that is a new plant or one that's been around?

Do you care or want to know what the Church Father's believed?

Are there sticking points that have to be there or not?

etc, etc etc

People have mentioned Catholicism and Lutheranism (LCMS) and I'm sure the Orthodox will come up next, but it's good to start with where you are today before addressing key concepts of each of those groups.
PacifistAg
AG
BTHOthatguy said:

Where should I look to take my family? What is the next best thing?
As for the first question, I would rely less on TexAgs and more on intense prayer with you and your family. We had a situation occur where we felt it was prudent to find a new church body. Prayer was far more effective than any person's opinion on the subject. As for the second question, maybe I'm misunderstanding it, but it just comes across as the wrong way to approach it. Maybe it's just the wording of "next best thing" that I'm uncomfortable with.

I think swimmer has great advice.
TSJ
AG
I am Methodist that attends Methodist and Catholic Churches (wife is Catholic). After probably 7 years of attending I just don't feel closer to God when I go to mass.

I think Lutheran would be my first option if I was looking.

But have you talked to your pastors or church council? If you haven't you should talk with them about your concerns. Will these plans actually change your church?
titan
S

Various good replies, here, particularly PacifistAg's.

Let me point out one thing:

Quote:

Having said that, if the vote goes the wrong way next month I simply can't, in good conscience, contribute funds to the larger church.
So, imo, what hearing there is you just want your church to be faithful, to be orthodox. That is reason to leave that one, but it sounds like it means you would simply try to stay as close to what you consider the essentials as possible? Unless re-evaluating the larger theology. For example, those that leave the going liberal Presbyterian USA go to the PCA Or Presbyterian Orthodox. And so on.

You would want to pray and evaluate the theology if making bigger switches.
craigernaught
AG
If the Methodists vote "the wrong way" or whatever, there will be a split, and you can join the new traditionalist Methodist Church without all those rotten, no-good liberals and all will be right in the land of Wesley.

Most likely though, there won't be an agreement. And there will still be a split. Nobody knows which way the cloth will tear.

I would wait and see. Be faithful to your congregation. Pray for the people called Methodists. Respond to the split with charity as Wesley would have taught. If you can't be of one mind or polity, don't abandon them, but find a place where you can.

If the church's around you celebrate the split of our church, as so many here will do, I don't that's the place for you anyway.
UTExan
craigernaught said:

If the Methodists vote "the wrong way" or whatever, there will be a split, and you can join the new traditionalist Methodist Church without all those rotten, no-good liberals and all will be right in the land of Wesley.

Most likely though, there won't be an agreement. And there will still be a split. Nobody knows which way the cloth will tear.

I would wait and see. Be faithful to your congregation. Pray for the people called Methodists. Respond to the split with charity as Wesley would have taught. If you can't be of one mind or polity, don't abandon them, but find a place where you can.

If the church's around you celebrate the split of our church, as so many here will do, I don't that's the place for you anyway.

There would be no split if the results of successive general conferences were respected, but it was Adam Hamilton and liberal clergy who demanded this upcoming conference to address a way forward when one had already been provided by the general conference. And if the traditionalists win, the liberals will have gambled, lost and may face expulsion from clergy. But they knew church discipline when they were ordained and chose to ignore it.
I think a smaller, more vital and less social justice oriented church would be a good thing because "social justice" is the idolatry of the early 21st century for clergy I know.
craigernaught
AG
Lol. Yes, if everybody agreed there would be no split. That isn't a particularly helpful insight.

They don't agree, and the polity of the church doesn't allow for much centralized enforcement of centralized rules. The polity was not designed to decide and enforce such positions, and the attempt to do so was not well thought out. This is the inevitable result of trying centralize rules and enforcement over a cherry picked issue rather than allowing a de-centralized church to govern itself through its annual conferences as intended.

"Social Justice" is a term that has no real definition and functions as the Boogeyman for the right and excuse for the left to pretend to agree without going into specifics. Blaming "social justice" is as lazy as advocating for it.
wbt5845
AG
This is a really good question because most mainline Protastent denominations are going the wrong way.

If I had my pick, I'd probably find some rock and roll Bible Church. I've always wanted to be my own Pope.
JayAggie
AG
A number of factors, one being I guess what type of methodist service are you used to? The traditional methodist service is very much like a catholic mass. Doctrinally speaking you are going to have some differences with catholic, and then traditions too.

If you are looking for something close and have been at a traditional methodist church probably Episcopal. I don't know if you have to get re-baptized at any of the other denominations. I know you don't if you would become Catholic, but there are other requirements to become Catholic. I just know some people have issue getting re-baptized so just pointing that out.

Good luck and God Bless!
titan
S

Problem is, for the reason he is leaving the Methodists, the Episcopalians are on the same path, but further down it and worse.
UTExan
craigernaught said:

Lol. Yes, if everybody agreed there would be no split. That isn't a particularly helpful insight.

They don't agree, and the polity of the church doesn't allow for much centralized enforcement of centralized rules. The polity was not designed to decide and enforce such positions, and the attempt to do so was not well thought out. This is the inevitable result of trying centralize rules and enforcement over a cherry picked issue rather than allowing a de-centralized church to govern itself through its annual conferences as intended.

"Social Justice" is a term that has no real definition and functions as the Boogeyman for the right and excuse for the left to pretend to agree without going into specifics. Blaming "social justice" is as lazy as advocating for it.

Nonsense. They abandon Jesus or parse his words to fit their leftist political agenda. You know that very well since Hauerwas warned against the clergy being captive to the left wing of the Democrat Party.

Edit to say that for some of these clergy, "social justice" is forced redistribution of the economic product of society through government policy.
craigernaught
AG
I'm glad you have the amazing ability to know their intentions as well as my own. Truly your divine powers are astonishing.
PacifistAg
AG
UTExan said:

craigernaught said:

Nonsense. They abandon Jesus or parse his words to fit their leftist political agenda. You know that very well since Hauerwas warned against the clergy being captive to the left wing of the Democrat Party.

Edit to say that for some of these clergy, "social justice" is forced redistribution of the economic product of society through government policy.

The bolded is not unique to the left. Not remotely.
EnglishElhew07
I too am a Methodist and I feel the same way. I think you should look up the Wesleyan Covenant Association. It seems like should there be a split in the UMC that this will be the conservative group that breaks off and starts their own Methodist offshoot. If your in the Dallas area I would be happy to get together and discuss.
UTExan
EnglishElhew07 said:

I too am a Methodist and I feel the same way. I think you should look up the Wesleyan Covenant Association. It seems like should there be a split in the UMC that this will be the conservative group that breaks off and starts their own Methodist offshoot. If your in the Dallas area I would be happy to get together and discuss.

Exactly, the Wesleyan Covenant Association will probably save the denomination and refocus on personal holiness and evangelism while the leftist churches and clergy attempt to transform it into a political lobby group.
UTExan
craigernaught said:

I'm glad you have the amazing ability to know their intentions as well as my own. Truly your divine powers are astonishing.

Simple powers of observation, Craig. Listening to their rhetoric at the old Rocky Mountain annual conference ( they once wanted to criticize Colorado Springs because of the evangelical groups clustered there) and their very clear political priorities, it was quite clear where most clergy came from, to the neglect of actual pastoral ministry. We are currently fighting this very battle in our local congregation with a pastor so consumed with progressive politics that zher cannot deliver a coherent spiritual sermon on Sunday.
PacifistAg
AG
dermdoc
AG
I could hear the sermon on Mars Hill at least once a month. Just read from the Bible.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PA24
AG
Hell Bound

Southern Baptist

If u aint hell bound..... u will be
Grimey
Don't choose a church because they have the right combination of words in the "Our Beliefs" section of their website. Choose a church that will help you show the goodness and glory of God to your community.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
I'm glad you posted this. I'm a long time lurker and rarely post here. I'm looking for an "orthodox" church as well.

Reading the responses brought back a funny memory. I recall years ago while serving on a committee at my Southern Baptist Church that we were struggling with an issue. Someone suggested we pray about it. An older gentlemen remarked, "Oh my gosh its come to that!" But I digress.

I'm old. 63. Born and raised SBC. Married a Catholic. After many years the SBC wasn't working for my spouse so we joined the Methodist Church. It was a good compromise for us. A few years ago the increasing liberal leanings of our Methodist church caused us both to reconsider. My wife asked if I would consider Catholicism. I was open to that.

We began attending and I even completed RCIA. There is a lot I like about the Catholic Church and a lot I don't understand. I had been divorced when I was young so that became an immediate roadblock. I was open to the annulment process but after many meetings with the priest he told me I didn't have enough passion. That even ticked off my wife.

We haven't attended church in 5 years. It's not a good thing. We live in Austin and it seems every church is liberal. Considered some of the "Bible Churches" but most of the congregation are 90% 28 year olds. I'm happy for them but we don't seem to fit.

I miss the fellowship of other believers. This is a struggle for me. It almost seems as if every church has its own agenda and each individual has to decide which "agenda" he or she can live with.
94chem
Where's ProSandy? Didn't he make the jump?
cecil77
AG
Also lifelong Methodist, although a bit of a backslider right now.

While not disagreeing with anyone, I do wish we'd have the same passion to hold our pastors accountable who cheat in their marriage, divorce multiple times and several other fairly common sins...
titan
S

Quote:

We began attending and I even completed RCIA. There is a lot I like about the Catholic Church and a lot I don't understand. I had been divorced when I was young so that became an immediate roadblock. I was open to the annulment process but after many meetings with the priest he told me I didn't have enough passion. That even ticked off my wife.
I can imagine. It can get flaky. They made it so difficult recently a relative entering first marriage wasn't really able to have a Catholic wedding. They just put so many hoops in the way that was beyond earlier times to hear all say. 20 somethings being what they are, it just interferes with getting closer to the faith to get so nitpicky imo.
craigernaught
AG
I agree completely. Sadly, traditionalists and progressives alike pick and choose from scripture and tradition while blaming opponents for hypocrisy and bad faith.
craigernaught
AG
I'm sorry to hear it. I too left the UMC and circumstances have not allowed me back into a congregation. Much of that though is my own doing, which I need to rectify.

Perhaps you would consider an Anglican service? High, liturgical worship, and tend to be more traditionalist. Yet I doubt they would have the same holdups as the Catholics. I could be mistaken however. Maybe others know more?
Zobel
AG
"The church requires only that which is blameless..." canon 9, Nicaea. Ecclesial discipline is absolutely possible to maintain. I know, because my church does it.
zwingli
swimmerbabe11 said:

The leap to Catholicism is pretty large. I think everyone on here is going to strongly suggest their own denomination. I, of course, would encourage you to visit some LCMS churches.

But truly, when thinking about changing denominations, you should start with doctrine. What are the primary Methodist doctrines that you can't give up?

For instance, If I felt compelled to leave the Lutheran church, my top priorities would be (in no particular order)
1) adherence to the Nicene Creed
2) infant baptism
3) true respect for the sacrament of communion (no grape juice or "symbolic ritual of remembrance" stuff)
4) sola fida/sola gratia salvation perspective

I could never go back to Rome, although I could consider going east. I would probably find a confessional Anglican church first though.

List those things out for me, then maybe we can help you a bit better. Where are you located?
Going east is the same as going to Rome
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.