Funeral - atheists

3,278 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Beer Baron
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw this on the Austin board.

Apparently 2,000 people showed up.

From an atheist perspective, what is the benefit of someone attending this man's funeral? Or having a funeral at all?
Woody2006
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

From an atheist perspective, what is the benefit of someone attending this man's funeral? Or having a funeral at all?
For the benefit of those at the funeral and those still alive. It certainly doesn't benefit the man in the coffin...
Duncan Idaho
Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

For the benefit of those at the funeral and those still alive. It certainly doesn't benefit the man in the coffin...

He asked about an atheist's funeral not a theist's funeral.

Oh wait. They are for the same reasons.

People find the idea of a funeral with no attending to be proudly sad because we take it to mean that the person died without having made an impact on anyone's life, or that their impact was recognized or that they were left behind by those they loved and likely lived a sad and lonely life at the end.

dds08
AG
Lot's of unanswered questions.

Did his family even know he had passed away? Was he a loner?
mesocosm
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

No disrespect but this really is a dumb question
Martin Q. Blank
mesocosm said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

No disrespect but this really is a dumb question
Why? Seems like an ancient, out dated ritual, no? And it bugs us if someone doesn't have a proper one with lots of people attending.
saml1956
AG
Martin Q Blank
When you're perspective begins with atheism there isn't any chance to get the reason so many care to show up. There really is a God and Jesus is the way. Seek Him and you'll "get it".
swimmerbabe11
Not trying to be a jerk, but I saw this on BBlauser's Facebook and thought "oh gee, that looks like traffic on 35 on any given Tuesday"

swimmerbabe11
saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank
When you're perspective begins with atheism there isn't any chance to get the reason so many care to show up. There really is a God and Jesus is the way. Seek Him and you'll "get it".

Meh, from a different approach...to an atheist, this life/death is far more precious because we only get the single one.
AggieEyes
AG
Your belief in a god, or gods, etc has no correlation with personal kindness, compassion, empathy and love.

Really dumb question.
Martin Q. Blank
swimmerbabe11 said:

saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank

Meh, from a different approach...to an atheist, this life/death is far more precious because we only get the single one.
We don't attend funerals for ants. They only get one life.
Post removed:
by user
swimmerbabe11
That response was just trolling. You can't possibly have been serious when typing that. Right?
Aggrad08
AG
The real question is whether troll posts have to be low intelligence by their nature or just seemingly always happen to be that way.
Woody2006
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank

Atheists don't think of other humans as ants, and that doesn't mean something profound. Many species of animal mourn their dead without (presumably) belief in god.
CrackerJackAg
AG
AggieEyes said:

Your belief in a god, or gods, etc has no correlation with personal kindness, compassion, empathy and love.

Really dumb question.

Untrue, you take for granted that you grew up in a western culture that was built upon the foundation of Christian concepts.

The world truly was a different place before "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
Quad Dog
AG
The Golden Rule was around long before the Bible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule
Martin Q. Blank
Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank

Atheists don't think of other humans as ants, and that doesn't mean something profound. Many species of animal mourn their dead without (presumably) belief in god.
Many species of animal don't. Lions eat their dead. What's your point?
Woody2006
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank

We are (mostly) not a species that eat our dead. We are a species that mourn our dead. That's my point.

Doesn't matter if you believe in god or not.
Martin Q. Blank
Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank

We are (mostly) not a species that eat our dead. We are a species that mourn our dead. That's my point.

So the answer boils down to "that's just what we do."
Woody2006
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank

Does it need to be more profound than that?
Martin Q. Blank
Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank

Something as solemn and ridiculous looking as a funeral? I would think so. Maybe atheists only apply that standard to religious beliefs and activities?
Quad Dog
AG
I've been to way too many funerals for various religion levels. I've been to funerals where all these events are at the same place on the same day and at ones that are all at different places and on different days. In my experience you can break it into three events:
  • Visitation: This is usually for the family and friends of the deceased. Nothing officially religious happens, but people will still come up to you and say "God works in mysterious ways" or "they are in a better place" even if they know you don't believe. Funny stories are told, tears are cried, and everyone behaves in different ways. This is usually one of my favorite funeral events because you get to show the deceased's family how much they meant to you. Or if the deceased is your family you learn new things about them and see the impact they had on their community.
  • Funeral Service: This is where the religion can be big or small. These are sometimes held in a church or funeral parlor. Eulogies are read of various religion levels. Songs are sung or listened too, some or religious and some are secular. At my grandmother's funeral we listened to her favorite Elvis songs and it was perfect. For the more religious there is also a sermon and other religious activities up to and including communion.
  • Burial: Depending on the place the funeral and burial blend together and the attendance will mostly be the same people. This is usually the most religious part. The famous burial Psalms, etc. are read. The less religious ones are usually family only and not much is said. But you still do activities like putting dirt or flowers on the coffin (I don't think that's religious)
  • Post: Sometimes there will be a meal at a house or a church afterwards, but the mood and religion level is pretty similar to the visitation. This is usually for close family and friends.
Woody2006
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank

Something as solemn and ridiculous looking as a funeral? I would think so. Maybe atheists only apply that standard to religious beliefs and activities?
Are you suggesting atheists should refuse to go to funerals or something? I really don't understand what you're looking to accomplish in this thread. We have already explained why, do you not accept the answers given?
Martin Q. Blank
Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank

Are you suggesting atheists should refuse to go to funerals or something? I really don't understand what you're looking to accomplish in this thread. We have already explained why, do you not accept the answers given?
Not really. "Just because" is not an answer.
Woody2006
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank

If that were the case then why do other animal species mourn their dead? Remember, "just because" isn't an answer.
Quad Dog
AG
Am I feeding a troll here?:
A Christian can have 0 impact on their community, have no meaningful interactions with other human beings, and have 0 people attend their funeral. If they follow the right rules and say and do say the right things they believe they will get their eternal reward in heaven at death. Their life of ~100 years has no meaning compared to the eternity waiting for them.
Those ~100 years is all an atheist has. The only eternity they can have is the legacy they leave in the memories of family and friends for another ~60 years unless they accomplished something long lasting such as changed our understanding of quantum physics. Yes, attending the funeral of an atheist means nothing to the person in the box. But it means something to the family and friends who will miss them and the people who are attending who want to maintain the legacy of the person. I can't speak for all atheists, but that would be the mark of a good life lived. To live with the mindset of "I want to live the kind of life that people celebrate and remember when I'm gone. And maybe inspire them to do the same."
Martin Q. Blank
Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank

If that were the case then why do other animal species mourn their dead? Remember, "just because" isn't an answer.
Answering a question with a question about something to do with animals? And using anthropomorphism at that.
Woody2006
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

saml1956 said:

Martin Q Blank

Answering a question with a question about something to do with animals? And using anthropomorphism at that.

I didn't answer this question with a question. I already answered your question.

I asked you a question for which the answer is the same.
zephyr88
AG
Respect for his service.

If you don't understand that now, you never will.
boboguitar
AG
I don't know why anyone responds to Martin. All he does is post the most inane "gotcha" questions that even my 3 year old would realize is just baiting questions.
MooreTrucker
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

What does being an atheist have to do with it? A funeral is a celebration of the life lived by that person, and acknowledgement of loss for their family. Religious content is not a requirement or a necessity.
MooreTrucker
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

When Animals Mourn...
MooreTrucker
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Woody2006 said:

Not really. "Just because" is not an answer.
And this is how I know that I am indeed feeding a troll. You're ignoring some very detailed, correct answers to boil them down to "just because".
MooreTrucker
AG
Quad Dog said:

.... To live with the mindset of "I want to live the kind of life that people celebrate and remember when I'm gone. And maybe inspire them to do the same."
Hunter S Thompson -

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.