Tool Wings for Marie - Pastor Reaction video

1,632 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
newhowdyag2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I don't know how many of y'all listen to Tool or avoid them because of anti-Christian/religion lyrics of other songs, but I think you'll enjoy this song. The lead singers mom, Judith, was paralyzed from an aneurysm and confined to a wheel chair for ~10,000 days (name of album). However, her faith never yielded and this song is about that.

The song is 12 years old, and I've heard it easily 150 times, and get goosebumps every time.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Funny. I was watching those same videos the other day as well. Their review of the song Judith (same story line) is spot on.

I am a metal head but can't stand Tool or Maynard for musical reasons... I just always thought it was kind of blah. Once I became a Christian I really tried to avoid his music due to its blatant lyrics. Much like I avoid many songs by some of my favorite bands (slayer, pantera) I had to choose to abstain from some of the material
Macarthur
Love tool. I've seen the Judith one but haven't watched this one.

My recollection of the Judith was that he didn't know the background so he tAlked about the song based solely on face value. I can see where those lyrics at face value could be shocking, but if he had taken a few minutes to learn some context, the song takes on a bit diff feel.
Macarthur
One more thing is that he kept making the no true Scotsman type of argument. Oh, he just doesn't know Jesus or hasn't genuinely asked....

The assumption that those of us that have lost our faith never really were genuine in our walk originally, is insulting and really shows a lack of deeper thinking about this issue.
Macarthur
Finally got around to watching this one.

I actually enjoy these reaction videos. Not sure why, but I especially enjoy peoples first reactions to bands I love like tool and Zep.

My complaint with this guy is that he's kinda using middle school 14 year old angst type of answers for the issues raised by Maynard. At the risk of sounding pretentious, this guy is really missing Maynard's points and trying to answer them like he's sitting with an angst ridden 14 year old that hasn't really thought these things through. And there's also the presumption that Maynard or those like him, just haven't 'put in the time' to truly understand God/Jesus. I don't remember if it was the Judith video or this one, but he brings up that Maynard just misunderstands 'Grace'. Sigh...
diehard03
Quote:

The assumption that those of us that have lost our faith never really were genuine in our walk originally, is insulting and really shows a lack of deeper thinking about this issue.

I think it's just a consequence of people not wanting unbelievers in heaven, yet wanting "Once Saved, Always Saved" doctrine to be true. This is why we have this "you were never saved to begin with" logic.
Texaggie7nine
Youtube has become a "Reaction Video" extravaganza. It's all about watching people watching other videos and reacting now. It's easy to go down that hole when it's reacting to stuff you like, especially from years ago. But then, you sit back and think, "did I just waste an hour of my life watching strangers watch videos" and you feel dumb, then you look at the view counts in the tens and hundreds of thousands for the reaction video and you think "the world is dumb".

I do agree with you on the feeling of slight when believers brush off those of us that use to be full believers as never having really been truly in the Faith. I have a hard time really understanding those that never had faith or lost it for feelings of "unfairness" or "cruelness" that exists in this world.

I always easily grasped the notion that if this life is but a speck of time compared to eternity and our understanding of what exists outside of this world is so limited, then we simply cannot judge what is truly universally horrendous with true objectivity. Even if you lived in some 3rd world country and had a child that lived 20 years of nothing but disease ridden misery, never to have tasted happiness, you really can't judge how horrible that experience was not knowing what came before or after in their spiritual life in the spiritual realm.

I mean, to simplify it to gradeschool understanding, if you were an eternal being that lived for eternity and had choices of what kinds of lives to experience in an infinite amount of universes and scenarios, it doesn't seem that far fetched that you would choose to experience 20 years of misery before dying slowly at least once, just to see what it was like.

Just look at people who enjoy horror movies because it makes them feel terrified. How can they enjoy terror? It's because they know they will be safe and normal after the movie is over. Imagine if in the future we derived a way to experience virtual reality with a form of memory blocking so that while in the virtual world, you have no idea it's virtual or that you chose to be in it, or that you will be back to a normal existence after that virtual experience is over. I have no doubt that there would be people that would willingly choose to be put into horrific scenarios in the virtual reality world that would terrify them knowing that they would not have the safety net of knowing it was fake. And I'm not saying they would be masochistic people. I'm talking regular people who just want to experience something they never have before just to know how they would react or how they would feel knowing that perspective.

The only way I can reach an unfair reality posed by a god of Love is the very reality that is posited in the Bible. That being an eternal hell. Only that would be able to prove a god as evil.

7nine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.