Satanic ornaments keep getting stolen

4,383 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dds08
gordo97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bet it's those darn Slayer fans that keep doing it

https://relevantmagazine.com/current/nation/satanists-are-mad-that-someone-keeps-stealing-their-satanic-christmas-ornaments/
Martin Q. Blank
Do they think theft is a sin?
Duncan Idaho
Martin Q. Blank said:

The people stealing them or the members of the Church of Satan?

Because of members of the Church of Satan sure do believe that stealing is wrong.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

The people stealing them or the members of the Church of Satan?

Because of members of the Church of Satan sure do believe that stealing is wrong.
why?

Why is stealing wrong?
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Duncan Idaho
Well from their perspective it violates at least one of their tenets

*One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
Martin Q. Blank
It's reasonable for me to take something that I want, especially from a creature that is weaker than I am.
Duncan Idaho
I understand empathy is a difficult concept to grasp for most people on this board
schmendeler
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

It's reasonable for me to take something that I want, especially from a creature that is weaker than I am.
not if you value a society where one's possessions are respected as belonging to you alone.
Martin Q. Blank
Duncan Idaho said:

I understand empathy is a difficult concept to grasp for most people on this board
Well we're Americans built on certain traditional values.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

*One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.

Why? Why should one strive to "act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason."?

Is it OK if I reason that since a simple life is a better life, I AM acting with compassion and empathy by relieving them of another burden?
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Duncan Idaho
Dad-O-Lot said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Why? Why should one strive to "act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.love your neighbor as yourself"?

Same same. The only to reasons is that you do it out of empathy or you do it out fear of punishment. Personally, empathy provides more motivation than fear of hell.

Quote:

Is it OK if I reason that since a simple life is a better life, I AM acting with compassion and empathy by relieving them of another burden?

Even setting aside the empathy piece of this, since that seems so difficult to grasp..and how stupid of a Position this is.
If you beleived tha by taking those things you were improving his life, you would be burdening your own life, so it wouldn't be very rational.

But but hey, it has been a while since we had a good old fashion thread where the most vocal Christian's loudly proclaim "if I don't believe God would send me to hell, I'd spend my days raping, killing and stealing."
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

We evolved empathy for a reason. It's a selective advantage.
Sapper Redux
Dad-O-Lot said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Why? Why should one strive to "act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason."?

You're confusing evolution with selfishness.
Martin Q. Blank
Dr. Watson said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

What does that have to do with what I said?
diehard03
Quote:

most vocal Christian's loudly proclaim "if I don't believe God would send me to hell, I'd spend my days raping, killing and stealing."

No one is actually saying this. We are noting that there are certainly cultures of the present and past that did horrific things to humans and it's a very human thing to dehumanize someone else and excuse the behavior you mention above.
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

Dr. Watson said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

There's a logical reason for not condoning stealing that has nothing to do with religion.
Duncan Idaho
diehard03 said:

Quote:

most vocal Christian's loudly proclaim "if I don't believe God would send me to hell, I'd spend my days raping, killing and stealing."

No one is actually saying this. We are noting that there are certainly cultures of the present and past that did horrific things to humans and it's a very human thing to dehumanize someone else and excuse the behavior you mention above.

There have been a number of threads on this board wmhere this was posted. I can't remember all of the posters but notafraid, bustup, and klien(?) Are the ones that come to mind.

Notafraid in particular lusted after the ability to rape and murder and lemented that he wasn't able to because God would send him to hell.

I was referencing those threads/posters.
94chem
Not condoning stealing, but out of curiosity, whose birth are they celebrating?
diehard03
Quote:

There have been a number of threads on this board wmhere this was posted. I can't remember all of the posters but notafraid, bustup, and klien(?) Are the ones that come to mind.

Notafraid in particular lusted after the ability to rape and murder and lemented that he wasn't able to because God would send him to hell.

I understand. I see we have a new generation of silliness.

However, just for the record, I do think it's flawed thinking to assume that a Godless society would just naturally evolve to be utopia.
diehard03
Quote:

No one's. We do need to accept that there's a Christmas that religious people celebrate and a Christmas that secular people celebrate.
Duncan Idaho
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I understand. I see we have a new generation of silliness.

However, just for the record, I do think it's flawed thinking to assume that a Godless society would just naturally evolve to be utopia.

I don't think anyone thinks that, even satanists

Hence their other tenets, including:

*The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Why? Why should one strive to "act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.love your neighbor as yourself"?

Same same. The only to reasons is that you do it out of empathy or you do it out fear of punishment. Personally, empathy provides more motivation than fear of hell.

Quote:

Even setting aside the empathy piece of this, since that seems so difficult to grasp..and how stupid of a Position this is.
If you beleived tha by taking those things you were improving his life, you would be burdening your own life, so it wouldn't be very rational.

But but hey, it has been a while since we had a good old fashion thread where the most vocal Christian's loudly proclaim "if I don't believe God would send me to hell, I'd spend my days raping, killing and stealing."
Ignoring the hyperbole -- Why is empathy good?

If I were to take them and throw them in the trash, I would be unburdening him and not burdening myself. It also feels good to help others.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Dr. Watson said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

Duncan Idaho said:

You're confusing evolution with selfishness.
How so? Where did I reference evolution or selfishness?
Dad-O-Lot
AG
and for the record, I have made no statements or assumptions about what a "godless society" would do.

I am just asking why.

Why is stealing bad?

Why is empathy good?
diehard03
Quote:

*The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

Yes they do. The whole Satan thing is a joke. They don't actually believe in Satan.
Martin Q. Blank
Dr. Watson said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Dr. Watson said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

There's a logical reason for not condoning stealing that has nothing to do with religion.
There's a logical reason for stealing that has nothing to do with religion.
Duncan Idaho
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Yes they do. The whole Satan thing is a joke. They don't actually believe in Satan.

I know they don't believe in Satan. I am saying they don't believe that there will ever be some kind of Utopia, with or without any amount of religion.

94chem
diehard03 said:

Quote:

No one's. We do need to accept that there's a Christmas that religious people celebrate and a Christmas that secular people celebrate.

Fine, then. I'm on my way out to the mall to pick out some FUBU threads and a nursing bra.
Duncan Idaho
You do you
diehard03
Quote:

Fine, then. I'm on my way out to the mall to pick out some FUBU threads and a nursing bra.

I'm not sure why you want to ignore that many secular Americans love to decorate a Christmas tree, leave cookies out for Santa and buy presents for their loved ones with no thought or concern towards Jesus.

It's pretty clear that there are "2 Christmases" that happen in our culture.
94chem
More like 17.

Sure, but other religions don't call it Christmas. They call it Hannukah or Kwanzaa. And if they're not religious, they say holiday decorations. Perhaps the Satanists could call it Herod Day. I could dig that.
diehard03
Quote:

More like 17.

Sure, but other religions don't call it Christmas. They call it Hannukah or Kwanzaa. And if they're not religious, they say holiday decorations. Perhaps the Satanists could call it Herod Day. I could dig that.

This is still such a strange take to me. Christians literally celebrate both Christmas traditions. They do the Tree, Santa, gifts, watch Die Hard...and do the all the Jesus stuff. You'd have a much stronger point if Christians didn't do a single part of the secular Christmas and the Satanists where making mock manger scenes or something. Then bringing up Hannukah and Kwanzaa would make sense.

Also, secular people may say "happy holidays", but they still use Christmas in all the other appropriate settings.
Ag_of_08
AG
94chem said:

People celebrated Yule time long before christians decided that their religious festival should be at the winter equinox.
Seamaster
AG
Fake religion simply meant to troll Christians.

But stealing is wrong.
Duncan Idaho
Seamaster said:

Fake religion simply meant to troll Christians.

But stealing is wrong.

Agree on both points
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.