Should Christian women wear head coverings like Muslims?

2,800 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by canadiaggie
Create Account
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We had a discussion about this last night. I think the Muslim women cover their head to show modesty and submission to men. They even do it in the U.S. and other western countries where that thinking is not popular. Should Christian women do this?
diehard03
No.

Do you have something in mind that men can do to show their commitment to laying down their lives for their wives like Christ?
PacifistAg
AG
I think most Christian women I saw in the West Bank wore head coverings.

I don't think they should be required, but left to make the decision on their own. If they feel compelled to do so due to their faith traditions, so be it. I'm certainly not going to be critical of the woman's decision, Muslim or Christian, either way.
Create Account
PacifistAg said:

I don't think they should be required, but left to make the decision on their own. If they feel compelled to do so due to their faith traditions, so be it. I'm certainly not going to be critical of the woman's decision, Muslim or Christian, either way.
Interesting. What faith traditions did they have there that Christians here don't have?
PacifistAg
AG
Create Account said:

PacifistAg said:

Interesting. What faith traditions did they have there that Christians here don't have?
Well, most seem aligned with the Orthodox Church, and also the Catholic Church, so the faith traditions that are typically aligned with them. Saw several Coptic references as well.
Create Account
PacifistAg said:

Create Account said:

PacifistAg said:

Well, most seem aligned with the Orthodox Church, and also the Catholic Church, so the faith traditions that are typically aligned with them. Saw several Coptic references as well.
I don't see any American women cover here, Catholic or not. Maybe in church, but certainly not in public.
Zobel
AG
It's not terribly uncommon for Orthodox women to wear something on their heads. I have friends who wear a bandana or something at all times.
PacifistAg
AG
Create Account said:

PacifistAg said:

Create Account said:

PacifistAg said:

I don't see any American women cover here, Catholic or not. Maybe in church, but certainly not in public.
You'd probably need input from one of our resident Orthodox posters, but from a quick search, it looks like some Orthodox churches require women to wear head coverings when inside the church. Here's a link to some of the current practices on the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_headcovering#Tradition

My guess is that it's largely driven by culture and tradition. It looks like it was also pretty common in North America up until the start of the 20th century.
PacifistAg
AG
Create Account said:

PacifistAg said:

Create Account said:

PacifistAg said:

It's common in Amish communities.
craigernaught
AG
That's been my experience with Orthodox in the Levant, although I've found that Orthodox Arabs rarely cover to distinguish themselves from the Muslim majority.
Create Account
PacifistAg said:

Create Account said:

PacifistAg said:

Create Account said:

PacifistAg said:

You'd probably need input from one of our resident Orthodox posters, but from a quick search, it looks like some Orthodox churches require women to wear head coverings when inside the church. Here's a link to some of the current practices on the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_headcovering#Tradition

My guess is that it's largely driven by culture and tradition. It looks like it was also pretty common in North America up until the start of the 20th century.
Yes, inside the church, one (or maybe two) denominations may do it. k2aggie07 says sometimes, maybe you see it from one denomination outside the church. Why not more? Why did Christians in North America stop? Is modesty and submission no longer a concern for American Christian women?
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Is modesty and submission no longer a concern for American Christian women?
I don't know. You'd have to ask women. I would imagine most would say that they can be modest without covering their heads.
UTExan
If you attended church in the south ca. 1950-1970, you would see that many Christian women adored head coverings: too much, really, with those spreading floral offerings and brims that just went on forever.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Create Account
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

I don't know. You'd have to ask women. I would imagine most would say that they can be modest without covering their heads.
Can't Muslim women say this? Or Orthodox/Catholics in the West Bank? Why did American women change or no longer follow their tradition?
Create Account
UTExan said:

If you attended church in the south ca. 1950-1970, you would see that many Christian women adored head coverings: too much, really, with those spreading floral offerings and brims that just went on forever.
Yes, Muslims do this too. Covering their whole face except for a see-through veil. Or others that use it as a fashion piece. Defeats the purpose.
PacifistAg
AG
Create Account said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Can't Muslim women say this? Or Orthodox/Catholics in the West Bank? Why did American women change or no longer follow their tradition?
Not all Muslim women cover their heads. As was pointed out, many Arab Orthodox don't cover so as to distinguish themselves from Muslims. I don't know why it changed in America. It seems to be, to me at least, largely driven by culture. If a culture no longer places an emphasis on women covering their heads, then it will probably fade away. I would also imagine the growth of women's movements aimed at equitable treatment probably had an influence as well. It wouldn't surprise me, and this is just my theorizing and not based on anything else, that given how poorly women were treated, that once they started demanding better treatment, they may have seen head coverings as a patriarchal symbol. Of course, that may be completely wrong, as I haven't read anything about the actual reasons.

Are you saying we should go back to this?
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Or others that use it as a fashion piece. Defeats the purpose.
Are Muslim women, or even Christian women, wearing them for "fashion" purposes? Just because they now make more fashionable ones to wear doesn't defeat the purpose that they are worn for. One can be fashionable and modest.
Create Account
PacifistAg said:

Create Account said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Not all Muslim women cover their heads. As was pointed out, many Arab Orthodox don't cover so as to distinguish themselves from Muslims. I don't know why it changed in America. It seems to be, to me at least, largely driven by culture. If a culture no longer places an emphasis on women covering their heads, then it will probably fade away. I would also imagine the growth of women's movements aimed at equitable treatment probably had an influence as well. It wouldn't surprise me, and this is just my theorizing and not based on anything else, that given how poorly women were treated, that once they started demanding better treatment, they may have seen head coverings as a patriarchal symbol. Of course, that may be completely wrong, as I haven't read anything about the actual reasons.

Are you saying we should go back to this?
I'm sure you can find a Muslim woman who doesn't cover. Or an American Christian woman who does. But the vast majority do not. I'm not saying one way or the other. Just found it curious that Muslims have no problem covering. Or unaffected by the reasons you gave - unequality, patriarchy, poor treatment. They willingly submit and dress modestly. They care more about their religion or faith tradition than women's movements.
PacifistAg
AG
Create Account said:

I'm sure you can find a Muslim woman who doesn't cover. Or an American Christian woman who does. But the vast majority do not. I'm not saying one way or the other. Just found it curious that Muslims have no problem covering. Or unaffected by the reasons you gave - unequality, patriarchy, poor treatment. They willingly submit and dress modestly. They care more about their religion or faith tradition than women's movements.
Well, I think it's unfair to say that women who don't cover care more about women's movements than their faith. I don't believe it's a universal requirement that women cover their heads. Many view Paul's comments on it as a specific charge to a specific church dealing with a specific problem. That women don't cover isn't an indictment on their faith at all.

Also, most women today simply follow the tradition they were raised in, and most women today (at least in America) weren't raised in communities that required head coverings.
Orko
AG
I may be stating the obvious, but I've seen a lot of references to tradition being the reason that this is sometimes done. The actual basis for it is in an epistle of Paul.

Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven. For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head...Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

1 Cor 11

Also, of note, all you long-haired degenerates need to keep it high and tight!!
Remember, patriot, what they took from you. Your nation's identity, its religion, and its people are no more. Remember how we got here.
Create Account
PacifistAg said:

Create Account said:

Well, I think it's unfair to say that women who don't cover care more about women's movements than their faith. I don't believe it's a universal requirement that women cover their heads. Many view Paul's comments on it as a specific charge to a specific church dealing with a specific problem. That women don't cover isn't an indictment on their faith at all.

Also, most women today simply follow the tradition they were raised in, and most women today (at least in America) weren't raised in communities that required head coverings.
I agree. Just saying that Muslim women are unaffected. It seems Christian women not covering is a very recent development in Christianity - in particular western countries. Hard for me to say that the church had it wrong for all that time with respect to Paul's comments or whatever.
FightinTexasAggie08
It was actually the rule prior to 1983 that women would wear a head covering when attending Catholic mass, even though this hadn't been followed very strictly since Vatican II.
PacifistAg
AG
Create Account said:

PacifistAg said:

Create Account said:

I agree. Just saying that Muslim women are unaffected. It seems Christian women not covering is a very recent development in Christianity - in particular western countries. Hard for me to say that the church had it wrong for all that time with respect to Paul's comments or whatever.
I don't think anyone is saying anyone in particular had it wrong w/ regards to Paul's comments. I don't think churches requiring head covering are wrong. I think they just interpret the text differently. It's the 'universal vs specific' debate regarding some of Paul's teachings that has been around for a long time.
swimmerbabe11
I tend to hear prescriptive vs descriptive and commentary on culture of the period when this gets brought up. I'm fairly Switzerland on the issue and I would have no problem covering if my pastor asked me to.
Orko
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I tend to hear prescriptive vs descriptive and commentary on culture of the period when this gets brought up. I'm fairly Switzerland on the issue and I would have no problem covering if my pastor asked me to.
Based Swimmerbabe11.
Remember, patriot, what they took from you. Your nation's identity, its religion, and its people are no more. Remember how we got here.
swimmerbabe11
We had some Pentecostal ladies come in to my bridal salon the other day and they asked us to pretend they had never seen them when they made their appointment to come back.

They came back a week later with their pastors wife who was supposedly supposed to have been a part of the process from the beginning.

I'm not a huge "vibes" person. However, everything about that womans aura gave me the creeps. I went and washed my hands after she left. Something in her seemed so rotten. She didnt do anything specifically wrong (except make a point to complain that our bathrooms are unisex) but man... I was cringey. The other ladies were nice.
tehmackdaddy
AG
There is no command for women to wear head-coverings. There is only the reminder of the liberty of each woman to do what she feels best honors God.

Quote:

Romans 14:5b - Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.
Quote:

Romans 14:23b - For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.
Along with this suggestion from Paul:

Quote:

1 Timothy 2:9a - I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety
and Peter:

Quote:

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.

No one has any authority to tell or suggest what Christian women should do with regards to head-coverings. Each woman's own conscience will guide her.
Aggie4Life02
AG
Create Account said:

We had a discussion about this last night. I think the Muslim women cover their head to show modesty and submission to men. They even do it in the U.S. and other western countries where that thinking is not popular. Should Christian women do this?

This is the covering that married woman use in the modern day West.

Marco Esquandolas
AG
Orko said:

I may be stating the obvious, but I've seen a lot of references to tradition being the reason that this is sometimes done. The actual basis for it is in an epistle of Paul.

Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven. For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head...Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

1 Cor 11

Also, of note, all you long-haired degenerates need to keep it high and tight!!

There are denominations in the U.S. that took this scripture as a command very seriously until not all that long ago. I grew up in one.

Never understood the rationale for throwing this one out. It seems extremely cut and dried, no? Who are we to disregard what Paul taught?
Marco Esquandolas
AG
tehmackdaddy said:

There is no command for women to wear head-coverings. There is only the reminder of the liberty of each woman to do what she feels best honors God.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1 Timothy 2:9a - I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety
and Peter:

Quote:

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.

No one has any authority to tell or suggest what Christian women should do with regards to head-coverings. Each woman's own conscience will guide her.

This seems in direct conflict with 1 Corinthians 11, quoted above. Seems Paul pretty clearly reserved that authority for himself.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

There are denominations in the U.S. that took this scripture as a command very seriously until not all that long ago. I grew up in one.

Never understood the rationale for throwing this one out. It seems extremely cut and dried, no? Who are we to disregard what Paul taught?
Might as well throw in wearing jewelry and speaking in Church while we're at it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie4Life02
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

tehmackdaddy said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and Peter:

Quote:

This seems in direct conflict with 1 Corinthians 11, quoted above. Seems Paul pretty clearly reserved that authority for himself.

Actually, Paul's point is that a woman's hair is her covering.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

Might as well throw in wearing jewelry and speaking in Church while we're at it.

The church of christ STILL follows the "women shut up in church" command.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

tehmackdaddy said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and Peter:

Quote:

I mean maybe, but in practice entire denominations interpreted to mean "women have to wear hats or scarves in church." That is what people actually did. It was a custom for decades and it was enforced. At some point churches made up some kind of justification for doing away with it. But not the part about women keeping their mouths shut in church. Because Protestants are nothing if not consistent. Patriarchy dies a lot slower than fashion choices.

In any case the justification Paul gives is "because angels" which is absolutely hilarious.
FightinTexasAggie08
Marco Esquandolas said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

tehmackdaddy said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and Peter:

Quote:

I mean maybe, but in practice entire denominations interpreted to mean "women have to wear hats or scarves in church." That is what people actually did. It was a custom for decades and it was enforced. At some point churches made up some kind of justification for doing away with it. But not the part about women keeping their mouths shut in church. Because Protestants are nothing if not consistent. Patriarchy dies a lot slower than fashion choices.

In any case the justification Paul gives is "because angels" which is absolutely hilarious.
That's because patriarchy is a natural hierarchy. The food chain isn't wont to change quickly either.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.