The Point of the Book of Job

6,845 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

1. God would be accountable if he made you and I robots. This is not the case. Humanity has the ability to make free moral choices.

If I made a bunch of robots that I claimed had true free will yet they all went around killing women, do you really think the issue is that they have free will, or that I screwed up some programming and how they were wired?

Quote:

2. If a person takes their kids to bourbon street, and let them wander on their own, and they get into bad stuff, did the kids make their their own free choices? Please note that this hypothetical scenario situation is the exact opposite of what happened in the Garden. God put mankind in a perfect environment, gave man instructions,had a relationship with man. Man still made a free choice to do what God had instructed him not too.

Ya, well were you born in the Garden of Eden? The bible says that a man should not be held liable for his fathers wrongdoing. We are born into a world where, according to the Bible, whether we believe in the Bible or not, Satan has power to temp us and deceive us. That is no different than allowing your child to wander around Bourbon and have bad people try to trick them and get them to do bad things.

Quote:

3. God allowed Adam and Eve to be tempted in the best possible scenario. God allowed Jesus to be tempted in the worst possible scenario. God allowing people to be tempted, has a purposes throughout the scripture. Temptations often expose the true allegiance of one's heart. The lesson we learn from temptation is that we need to lean into God during these moments vs sin. The results will be rewarded. It's okay for God to allow testing and trials for our good because He has proven and promised He can more than reward any loss suffered.

Yet, if the temptation is too much, and if you do not find what you have been told of the Bible to be true, you are screwed into eternal damnation.

Quote:

I think this is a really great question. If you are like me you wouldn't take a leap of blind faith. You would evaluate the options, their claims, and then try come up for tests for the validity of each claim. At some point after weighing the options you have the freedom to invest of one of the options or none of the options. You are however are not free from the consequences of choosing incorrectly. If you choose to not make a choose, you lose out on the potential benefits.

And not only lose out on the benefits, but also suffer for all eternity, without hope of ever being saved from it.

Quote:

Many children doubt their parents existence, especially when the parent dies young, but good parents who are alive are available. Kids will question their goodness at times. God is always available as well.

That is a large cop out. Every child completely believes in the existence of the adults that care for them. Even when I was a full believing Christian I can tell you, I may have felt God was always there, but there were so many times where desperate questions to him were never answered. If a child goes to their adult caretaker with a desperate issue, the adult will engage them and actually work with the child in a real way. As a christian looking to god, I just had to "put it in god's hands" and have faith it would be ok.

Quote:

in the over 23,000 verses of scripture God is consistent about punishing evil, being patient with sinners, and being willing to forgive any and all sins. No one who is innocent is going to hell and no one who is guilty will go unpunished. The innocent may suffer on Earth like Jesus did but He makes up for it in eternity.

The problem is, no one is innocent. Yet millions of people find different beliefs than Christianity to be more convincing for them to live a moral and good life. Millions in other parts of the world who have heard the "good news" yet found it to be lacking. And because of their intellectual error, if they die without being converted to Christian, they are doomed to eternal misery.

Quote:

Or that is the cost of freedom.

This is another false narrative. Free will does not require a never ending torture or misery chamber for your soul to exist in if you choose wrong. I cannot tell a woman that she can only have free will to choose to love me if the consequence of her not loving me is being tortured in my basement.

Quote:

The fatal flaw is still valuing 'faith' over the "object of faith" Let me try this way. Faith doesn't save Christians. If Jesus didn't die and rise from the dead then I'm not going to heaven, because there is no such thing, no matter how convincing I find the arguments to be, no matter how hard I believe or obey the written text. I'm doomed. If Buddhism is true, I unenlightened, If Islam is true, I'm doomed to hell, if Hinduism is true, I'm doomed to be in a repeated cycle of the lowest end of the reincarnation cycle, if atheism is true, then I have wasted the one and only life I have for trying to live for Jesus and deny my fleshly desires. The consequences of reality apply regardless of the intensity of ones faith.

So you are saying, "you better choose correctly because it could be very bad if you don't". I refuse to accept that that is a choice that a god of love would give to such ignorant creatures as us humans. We know so little, yet our eternal soul is on the line.

Quote:

They will if you tell them. God wants you and I to participate in this work. There will be people from every language group and tribe on the face of the earth that will believe.

Yet right now the vast majority of them in non western nations are not believers. And all of them that die, having heard the "good news" and still not accepting it over their beliefs (which is millions of them over the years) are doomed to eternal misery or torture. If it is true that those that never hear the "good news" are not judged, then it is almost an act of terror to go over there to preach the "good news" because you are subjecting them to judgment. Far more will go to hell because of you "spreading the word" than had you never went.

Quote:

Salvation has nothing to do with being smart. Consider the history of God's interaction with people. From Adam and Eve who saw God, what happened to mess things up? Man did what's right in his own eyes, man chose not to follow God or teach their kids to follow God. The kids lose sight and knowledge of God. In the OT, God was continually pursuing these wicked people (Nineveh) and saving them. God is still doing this. God will save people through the preaching of the gospel. You can preach the gospel, why aren't you? If Christianity is true, God can save people through your participation with Him.

God sounds so patient and loving when you put it that way. Because you leave out the fact (per the Bible) that the instant you die, he stops pursuing you and if you did not become a believer, suddenly you are an object of hate to him. Because to subject a soul to eternal misery for choosing wrong, can be nothing but an act of hate.

Quote:

Prove to me with irrefutable facts that whatever it is that you are living for is the correct worldview.

My worldview is that probably everyone is wrong. Yours is that everyone but the few that believe exactly as you do, are wrong, and you are right.

Quote:

I'm not saying this to dismiss your question as I will give you my answers but I want you to take the time to really consider the amount of evidence that you have for what you are living for. All too often people want a burden of proof for God that they do not accept in their own lives for what they are living for.

There is just as much evidence of fact for Islam, or Buddhism or many other faiths. You choose your belief most likely because of where you were born on this earth and what you were exposed to. You give yourself far too much credit in this choice. If you were born in the middle of China or India or Saudi Arabia with the same exact brain you were born with here, you would very likely never consider the Bible to be truth even after hearing what it says. And you would be condemned to eternal misery because of the bad luck of your geography.

Quote:

While I cannot prove God to you. Here is the evidence that convinces me.
1. Order (math), design (humanity), information (DNA) and creatures capable of thinking rationally in the universe. rational does not come from the non rational and random unguided reactions do not produce order and information

This also is pretty convincing for me that there is a designer of some sort. However, looking at the nature of quantum mechanics and how much it is a very real possibility that the universe exists in such a way that every possible possibility does happen through random motion of particles and we are in just one of an almost infinite versions of reality, I don't see any logical reasoning that would support some sort of eternal punishment or reward at the end of our lives, especially since it is very likely that the almost infinite other versions of us actually chose every possible choice we could have ever made throughout our lives.

I am convinced though that reality does seem to be biased toward conscious thought.

Quote:

2. The Genesis 'animals reproducing after their kind" is what I observe in nature which contradicts a popular philosophy of science.

Science shows that the dna of species has to be close enough to each other in order to reproduce. I don't see how this is contradictory. But within that variation of allowance, we can see vast differences of outcomes, which easily supports evolution.

Quote:

3. The Genesis account lists the consequences of mans sins. I see these in nature.

Not proof that the writer was inspired by God. All it takes is the act of observation.

Quote:

4. The Bible has a moral code. This moral code agrees with my conscious. I feel guilt when I'm selfish or use unkind words to someone and commit other sins that are much worse. Buddhism doesn't see sin as a problem. Buddhism also has a moral law or right way of doing things without a moral law giver.

Your conscience is highly dependent on your upbringing and culture. You grew up in a judeo/Christian culture. Of course your conscience will match most of it's assertions.

Quote:

5. The Bible is written in Historical narrative and not Myth or legend. It's the correct genre for historical fact.
6. Events match up with history. Wars, archaeology, coins, people, places.
7. Jerusalem, the dead sea, Jericho, Bethlehem, the Jordan river, Egypt, the sea of Galilee are real places, not mythical locations.

I can easily write a historically and geographically accurate book and throw in supernatural made up assertions. So what?

However, it is obvious that there are historical and geological errors in the Bible if you really study it. Mark gets all kinds of things wrong about the Palestine area. Herod's slaughter of the innocents in Mathew 2 was never recorded anywhere else, even by writers of that time that wrote about Herod's bad actions. There are many examples like this.

Quote:

8. There's more manuscript evidence in spades for the Bible than any other work of antiquity.

There is also evidence in spades that the MMLJ Gospels were not written or even orally passed down from the apostles the books were named for.

Quote:

9. Jesus claimed to be God, His audience understood His claims. Given His teaching, He didn't display mental illness.

According to a few stories written by people that we have no idea who they were. It could be argued that many books of the NT never assume Jesus is God.

Quote:

10. Jesus displayed the power of God, walking on water, turning water into wine, exercising authority over demons, the sea, and the wind.
11. Jesus was good and showed this, by raising the dead, giving sight to the blind, healing the sick, and intentionally dying for the sins of all humanity.

None of this is provable.

Quote:

12. The OT Hebrew documents written hundreds of years before describe in detail the person of Jesus and the events of the crucifixion in minute detail by multiple authors who never knew each other. Each contributes unique pieces to the picture.

So you are saying that literature written hundreds of years after other known literature that described a person of the future, had similarities to the old literature? This is stunning why?

Quote:

13. Jesus is mentioned in historical documentation outside of scripture that matches the time period. (Islam claims that Jesus didn't die. This claim doesn't match the time period nor the historical claims)

So were many other men who weren't God.

Quote:

14. Jesus miracles and ministry and life was all in public.
15. We have surviving eye witness testimony contained in the gospels. The eyewitness did not die for their faith or belief, they died for what they claimed to have seen. They were under intense persecution for sticking to their story and had every earthly motivation to recant.

Speculation based on unprovable literature by unknown authors.

Quote:

16. The conversion of Paul, one who so religiously opposed to Jesus that he would participate in the killing of His followers

So he liked the ideas of Christianity and wanted to help shape them. What does that prove?

Quote:

17. The existence of the Jews and their current practices/beliefs.

Proves nothing about the accuracy of the Bible so far as a supernatural God goes.

Quote:

18. Seeing lives change for the better in those who not only believe in Jesus but also follow Him.

This was one of my most convincing beliefs when I was a believer. I have witnessed countless positive changes from people I saw saved and even helped become saved. The proof was in the pudding. How could the Bible be bologna when I saw constant life changing stories taking place in my church and around me.

What helped me get around this was delving into philosophy and anthropology studies and really understanding Utilitarianism. Also following Jordan Peterson for the past year has really helped.

In the Utilitarianism view, if a group of cavemen have an incorrect superstition that says that evil spirits are expelled from their bodies in their waste and because of that belief they avoid being around or coming into contact with anything that their waste touches, including bodies of water. Then their superstition really is truth because it works. They can easily see that their survival rate is much better when they avoid their waste than when they do not.

So with this understanding, one can see that even though the Bible may contain a lot of "truth" so far as how we should live our lives, it doesn't mean that it has the ultimate reality of why it is correct. All that matters is that it works.

With my mind however, I cannot accept a Utilitarian view. I strive to know the Realist truth of what in fact is actually true in a Realist sense. And from every angle that I look at it, it seems quite clear to me that the Bible was made up and constructed over thousands of years with some of the most effective archetype stories for human living. This would make sense with the fact that so many other religions, including much other religions than Christianity that contain very similar stories.

So the fact that I have witnessed so many lives transformed through Christianity, to me, is no real proof that it is actually true metaphysically. That combined with the fact that I have no real experience with other widely followed religions and how they affect new believers. From just what I have read and heard, I see a lot of stories that are pretty similar to what I have experienced with Christianity.

People turning away from addiction and lives of self destruction. People being more loving of everyone around them. People filled with new conviction in living a good life and serving others.

Why does the Christian experience with this trump all the other religions that experience this as well?

That is not to say that I don't think there is any difference, or superiority of Christianity compared with other religions. Obviously I am biased having only been a Christian and no other religions, but I do think there is a better world view within it than most religions. Yet still, I don't see that as any reason to say that makes it metaphysically true.

I also believe that the culture that is captured at Texas A&M is far superior to that of other universities and that A&M got it right on how to build a college community. But that doesn't mean I think that the way they did it is exactly the ONLY valid way for all universities to do it.

Quote:

19. The conviction that I experience when reading the Bible, my own sin is identified and exposed.
20. Seeing how marriages thrive when a couple loves Jesus first and sacrificially love each other according to His commands in scripture. Seeing what the bible calls sin, destroy marriages.

Just goes to show how well constructed and how true to human nature the writers got it. Still not proof that it is divine in nature.

Whether you treat your neighbor with love and kindness because you think a powerful man in the sky commanded you to, or whether you do it because you just think that's what you should do doesn't matter so long as it accomplishes the same behavior.

Quote:

21. Psalm 22
22. Isaiah 53

Several valid arguments against the idea that Jesus was foretold in the OT. First and foremost that being that the writers would have been aware of the OT verses when writing about Jesus. Jewish scholars certainly do not think Isaiah 53 refers to Jesus. I think most believe it is referencing Israel itself. Which kind of makes sense, especially when most Christians do not believe Jesus had any children.

Quote:

23. Israel/Jerusalem is the focal point of the world.

Judeo/Christian culture dominated the world. The other big world religion is Islam which also has sacred sites and history there.

Of course it remains a focal point.

Quote:

24. It's the year 2018, what happened 2018 years ago?

That's when Christian scholars decided was the birth year of Jesus, and our calendar was decided upon by a Christian empire. What's so curious about that?

Quote:

25. Joel prophesied a blood moon 9th century bc, a blood moon occurred on the day of the crucifixion. The date of the eclipse can been seen on software that matches the exact day.

From a Christian Source
https://answersingenesis.org/jesus-christ/crucifixion/did-the-moon-appear-as-blood-on-the-night-of-the-crucifixion/

Quote:

26 Seeing the negative consequences of sin and guilt in my life an in the lives of others.

Just means that the writers of the Bible got a lot right about what types of things we shouldn't do in our lives because they are bad for us. Of course a vast majority of rules in the OT are outdated and really silly.

Quote:

27. A global flood is the best explanation of how dinosaurs and other animals were buried alive in sedimentary rock layers on a round planet.

https://ncse.com/cej/1/1/fatal-flaws-flood-geology

Quote:

28. Reading how Satan downplayed God's goodness in the garden, and how he downplayed the consequences, legitimacy and seeing those same patterns of attack today.

So you think a loving god allows a supernatural creature like that to prey on and trick god's creation and fool them into going to hell? Again, that's letting your young kids go unsupervised down Bourbon St at 2am.

Quote:

29. The Garden account details the lust of the flesh, eyes, and boastful pride of life. These were also the temptations of Jesus. These are realized in my life and others to this day.

So an author understands human desire and thinking? How is that proof of it being inspired by god?

Quote:

I'm glad that we can agree that people are flawed as well as nature. I think that the Bible better than any other options gives the answer to why. Sin, and nature being cursed because of sin.

Lust, pride, greed, sloth, gluttony, wrath, and envy all are perfectly explainable by evolutionary reasons.

Quote:

Why would you conclude that God would judge his creation because they did not follow a book? People often believe in God without knowing there is such a thing a bible or having ever read it. Thousands upon thousands of people believed in the 1st century before the NT was written and dispersed.

So, in your view, you do not need to believe in Jesus or accept him as your savior in order to be saved?

Quote:

God will judge people for their actions and according to the amount of revelation that they have received, and how they respond to the information.

So, you would be doing people who have never heard of Jesus a favor by never telling them about him. Why gamble with their soul? If they haven't heard it, they can't be judged by it right?

Quote:

Biblical truth number 2 is that even when people are presented with miracles directly in front of their faces, they would still choose to kill Jesus.

So we get a raw deal of never being presented with any tangible proof of Jesus or god because of what people did in the past? How is that fair to us?

Quote:

Biblical truth number 3, God love sinners, and is patient, not wanting anyone to perish. Biblical truth number

Yet, that very same omniscient and omnipotent god set up a universe in which sinners (which we all are) who do not believe in Jesus, but were told about him, will eternally suffer. That is not loving. That is not patient. If god set up that scenario, then god had to have wanted the majority of his creation to suffer eternally.

Quote:

4: It's not in God's character or nature to condemn the innocent and let the guilty walk. No one is getting an unfair or raw deal.

So, according to you, good people that are muslim, hindu or any other religion that isn't christianity will also go to heaven? Or are you taking the stand that we all are guilty and deserving of eternal torture, but only those that accept god's grace by accepting Jesus get to be saved from it?

Quote:

according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus......

This is also conveniently a very good way to control society and encouraging them to be good actors when no one is looking. It plays on our emotions. We want people who wrong us to suffer, and people who are innocent to be rewarded. Throw out a story that says there's a god that does just that and you will have a popular cult.

Quote:

The Bible doesn't answer all of the questions that we have about eternity and what God's judgments will look like. It does give us ton's of information about the character of God, the Holiness of God, his patience towards sinners, and His redeeming heart that He would rather punish Himself than us. As long as you have it in your mind that someone is going to get ripped off, or that the innocent will be punished, then the view that you have of God is not consistent with how he's revealed himself in scripture.

My view of the biblical god is derived exactly by logical conclusion of what the scriptures say. I gave up the whole charade of always erroring on the side of "well I just don't understand what the bible is saying in some parts because God is always good, so I just need to stay in faith and not question so much". That lasted long enough for me.

C.S. Lewis prolonged my ability to stay in that mindset but eventually logic just won over. I can no longer ignore what is on the pages.
7nine
Zobel
AG

Quote:

That's one reason I can't stand universalism. If we're all going to end up blissfull anyway, then why not just start with that? Why have so many people suffer so much if none of it matters anyway?
I'm way late on this one but... this comment stood out to me. One verse that I've been thinking about recently... in fact, I feel as if in some way I'd never read it before, or didn't know it existed is Colossians 1:24 -- "Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions."

What is lacking in Christ's afflictions is an insane thing to contemplate, and, I believe, quite relevant to the topic of Job.
DirtDiver

Quote:

If I made a bunch of robots that I claimed had true free will yet they all went around killing women, do you really think the issue is that they have free will, or that I screwed up some programming and how they were wired?
One qualification in the statement above is "claimed had true free will". I can claim something has free will or "a mind of it's own" which may not have free will. Humanity actually has free will.
When a car malfunctions we go to the designer for a fix.
When a human makes poor moral choices, we hold the person making the choices accountable. We are not excused. This pattern is universal.

Quote:

Ya, well were you born in the Garden of Eden? The bible says that a man should not be held liable for his fathers wrongdoing. We are born into a world where, according to the Bible, whether we believe in the Bible or not, Satan has power to temp us and deceive us. That is no different than allowing your child to wander around Bourbon and have bad people try to trick them and get them to do bad things.
The Bible is correct. You and I will be responsible for our own sins. You and I will not be held liable for our fathers wrong doings.
While Satan has the power to tempt us, we are not obligated to give in.
God created free willed angels and free willed humans. There is an angelic realm that chose to disobey. We still choose to disobey regardless whether we are tempted by Satan or not.
God designed things flawlessly, God designed creatures with free will. This takes on the risk for rebellion.

Freedom is a good gift from God. I think your issue is more with Freedom than God.
Quote:

Yet, if the temptation is too much, and if you do not find what you have been told of the Bible to be true, you are screwed into eternal damnation.

And why would one be screwed? It's because they have chosen to reject the evidence, sin, rebel against God, and reject His free offer of hope, truth, and forgiveness.

Quote:

That is a large cop out. Every child completely believes in the existence of the adults that care for them. Even when I was a full believing Christian I can tell you, I may have felt God was always there, but there were so many times where desperate questions to him were never answered. If a child goes to their adult caretaker with a desperate issue, the adult will engage them and actually work with the child in a real way. As a christian looking to god, I just had to "put it in god's hands" and have faith it would be ok.
By stating that God is always there, I don't know who would claim that God will always answer our questions to our satisfaction. There are still questions that I have that are going unanswered since I've been praying daily that God will heal a loved one, yet have to watch her body decay before my eyes. God is not answering granting my wishes but I have seen the strength and hope that He's given her. Her words not mine, "if one person in her family comes to know Jesus through her suffering, the cancer is worth it" I've seen her inlaws more towards faith in Jesus.

The book of Job is honest about us not getting the answer to all of the questions that we have but it also teaches is that God is not oblivious or disconnected from our trials. The very opposite is true.

Quote:

The problem is, no one is innocent. Yet millions of people find different beliefs than Christianity to be more convincing for them to live a moral and good life. Millions in other parts of the world who have heard the "good news" yet found it to be lacking. And because of their intellectual error, if they die without being converted to Christian, they are doomed to eternal misery.
That's the nature of reality. If you are dying and need insulin but choose to take suger cubes because you like the taste better you are at the mercy of your decision. I know someone who has quit chemo and radiation to pursue natural methods of healing. In their words, "I severely underestimated the cancer".

Jesus is not offering one path out of many or offering a solution that makes a person feel good. He's offering a cure to heal the cancer of the world, sin. The world needs the cure and it's up to us to stop fighting God and work with Him.

Quote:

So you are saying, "you better choose correctly because it could be very bad if you don't". I refuse to accept that that is a choice that a god of love would give to such ignorant creatures as us humans. We know so little, yet our eternal soul is on the line.
The gift of life is good. Freedom is good. Justice is good.

To ask the Turek question. "If the Bible or Christianity is true, would you put your faith in Jesus?"

If you say 'No" then your issue is not with the truth, it's much deeper. Yes, we are ignorant, sinful, foolish sheep. However it doesn't take a genius to realize that we are sinful and that no one other than Jesus offers a solution.

Quote:

Yet right now the vast majority of them in non western nations are not believers. And all of them that die, having heard the "good news" and still not accepting it over their beliefs (which is millions of them over the years) are doomed to eternal misery or torture. If it is true that those that never hear the "good news" are not judged, then it is almost an act of terror to go over there to preach the "good news" because you are subjecting them to judgment. Far more will go to hell because of you "spreading the word" than had you never went.

I think understanding of how God works is not consistent with how God operates. Example:

Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah the second time, saying,2 "Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and proclaim to it the proclamation which I am going to tell you...5 Then the people of Nineveh believed in God... When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it

If all have sinned as you have acknowledged, then by offering Jesus you are offering the words of life and freedom from judgement.

Quote:

God sounds so patient and loving when you put it that way. Because you leave out the fact (per the Bible) that the instant you die, he stops pursuing you and if you did not become a believer, suddenly you are an object of hate to him. Because to subject a soul to eternal misery for choosing wrong, can be nothing but an act of hate.

16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.

Quote:

My worldview is that probably everyone is wrong. Yours is that everyone but the few that believe exactly as you do, are wrong, and you are right.
Thank your sharing. Now what is the evidence for this worldview?

Let's be clear, you also believe that everyone who doesn't believe like you do is wrong. These types of statements do not move us forward in the conversation.

I think that if your worldview is that probably everyone is wrong, then before we even get into the evidence we have a self defeating worldview. If everyone is probably wrong, then I'm probably wrong for believing that which means someone is probably right.

Quote:

There is just as much evidence of fact for Islam, or Buddhism or many other faiths. You choose your belief most likely because of where you were born on this earth and what you were exposed to. You give yourself far too much credit in this choice. If you were born in the middle of China or India or Saudi Arabia with the same exact brain you were born with here, you would very likely never consider the Bible to be truth even after hearing what it says. And you would be condemned to eternal misery because of the bad luck of your geography.
Are your parent's Christians?
How fast is Christianity growing in China?
When will it surpass the number of Christians in America?
How has the center of Christianity (most Christians) changed throughout history compared to other religions?

Yes, Islam and Buddhism has evidence, This is what each person needs to look at.

Isalm - claims Jesus did NOT die. Eye witness testimony details His death. Accounts outside of the biblical account tells us He died. The Q of Islam was written in another part of the world away from the events 600 years after the events. To a reasonable thinking person which evidence better supports the events?

Buddhism claims there is no God. Buddhism, Atheism, Islam, Hinduism cannot all be true at the same time. Buddhism claims a 'right path' or moral code which rejecting a moral law giver. This is not rational.

I'll try to address your other claims as time allows.
DirtDiver

Quote:

This also is pretty convincing for me that there is a designer of some sort. However, looking at the nature of quantum mechanics and how much it is a very real possibility that the universe exists in such a way that every possible possibility does happen through random motion of particles and we are in just one of an almost infinite versions of reality, I don't see any logical reasoning that would support some sort of eternal punishment or reward at the end of our lives, especially since it is very likely that the almost infinite other versions of us actually chose every possible choice we could have ever made throughout our lives.

I am convinced though that reality does seem to be biased toward conscious thought.
All of the writing in my previous post was random keystrokes, that happened to produce words, and I really do not exist. Try to think for one moment about that idea being realistic. I'm very surprised you with side more with a possibility more than historical evidence.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
2. The Genesis 'animals reproducing after their kind" is what I observe in nature which contradicts a popular philosophy of science.

Science shows that the dna of species has to be close enough to each other in order to reproduce. I don't see how this is contradictory. But within that variation of allowance, we can see vast differences of outcomes, which easily supports evolution.
We observe animals reproducing after their kind to this day which matches the Biblical claim.
Variance within a kind supports the biblical claim.
This is not the claim of evolution.
Evidence for one world view is immediately available, the other is non-existent.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
3. The Genesis account lists the consequences of mans sins. I see these in nature.

Not proof that the writer was inspired by God. All it takes is the act of observation.

I'm not claiming that this is proof that the writer was inspired by God. Evidence is not proof. The consequences listed in the Biblical account as early as Genesis support what we observe today. In other words, the world that we live in is from sin, human nature, consequences, reproducing after their kind, matches the Bible's description of the world, even in countries without the Bible.

Quote:

Your conscience is highly dependent on your upbringing and culture. You grew up in a judeo/Christian culture. Of course your conscience will match most of it's assertions.
Why do teens rebel if this is true?
How many of your parent's convictions do you agree with and disagree with?

Quote:

I can easily write a historically and geographically accurate book and throw in supernatural made up assertions. So what?

However, it is obvious that there are historical and geological errors in the Bible if you really study it. Mark gets all kinds of things wrong about the Palestine area. Herod's slaughter of the innocents in Mathew 2 was never recorded anywhere else, even by writers of that time that wrote about Herod's bad actions. There are many examples like this.
What are the geological errors?
Is every newspaper in the U.S. going to report the event of our deaths? Probably not unless you are extremely famous
Not having outside evidence doesn't mean it never happened especially given how many outside sources we have. This wasn't the information age.

Quote:

There is also evidence in spades that the MMLJ Gospels were not written or even orally passed down from the apostles the books were named for.
Yep, but when you compare the evidence for both options. One option makes a better case.

Quote:

Quote:
9. Jesus claimed to be God, His audience understood His claims. Given His teaching, He didn't display mental illness.
Quote:

According to a few stories written by people that we have no idea who they were. It could be argued that many books of the NT never assume Jesus is God.

Anything can be argued. What is the best conclusion based upon the evidence. Most of the books of the NT assume the deity of Jesus. If they don't, it's not an argument against. Not every book is written to the same audience, for the same purpose. Some tell us who Jesus was. Some tell us what we do with that information.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
10. Jesus displayed the power of God, walking on water, turning water into wine, exercising authority over demons, the sea, and the wind.
11. Jesus was good and showed this, by raising the dead, giving sight to the blind, healing the sick, and intentionally dying for the sins of all humanity.

None of this is provable.

Nothing in history is provable. We cannot recreate and test history in a lab. This is why we have a different branch of knowledge other than science called, History. The enemies to Christianity couldn't deny his existence and his actions which is why they called him a 'diviner' in the talmud.

About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who performed surprising deeds and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Christ. And when, upon the accusation of the principal men among us, Pilate had condemned him to a cross, those who had first come to love him did not cease. He appeared to them spending a third day restored to life, for the prophets of God had foretold these things and a thousand other marvels about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared.]

Flavius Josephus: Antiquities of the Jews, Book 18, Chapter 3, 3[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus#cite_note-51][51[/url]

Quote:

Quote:

12. The OT Hebrew documents written hundreds of years before describe in detail the person of Jesus and the events of the crucifixion in minute detail by multiple authors who never knew each other. Each contributes unique pieces to the picture.

So you are saying that literature written hundreds of years after other known literature that described a person of the future, had similarities to the old literature? This is stunning why?

Because it happened as foretold. From His hand and feet being pierced to casting lots for His clothes, to being betrayed for 30 pieces of silver to being born in Bethlehem. With so many experts in the Jewish OT and scribes, how did fishermen pick up on these and they miss it?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
13. Jesus is mentioned in historical documentation outside of scripture that matches the time period. (Islam claims that Jesus didn't die. This claim doesn't match the time period nor the historical claims)

So were many other men who weren't God.

And we call that corroboration, to what Jesus did and how he died. The claims of islam should be rejected for lacking in this area.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
14. Jesus miracles and ministry and life was all in public.
15. We have surviving eye witness testimony contained in the gospels. The eyewitness did not die for their faith or belief, they died for what they claimed to have seen. They were under intense persecution for sticking to their story and had every earthly motivation to recant.

Speculation based on unprovable literature by unknown authors.
We have the literature. We have 1 century attestations to authorship. The church in it's practices have held to their authority and authorship for over 2,000 years. We have non-Biblical attestation.

What are you currently living for and what is the proof for that?

Quote:

Quote:

16. The conversion of Paul, one who so religiously opposed to Jesus that he would participate in the killing of His followers

So he liked the ideas of Christianity and wanted to help shape them. What does that prove?

Really? While on his way to kill them?

Quote:

17. The existence of the Jews and their current practices/beliefs.
Quote:

Proves nothing about the accuracy of the Bible so far as a supernatural God goes.
Again, not a proof but a piece of evidence.
DirtDiver

Quote:

This was one of my most convincing beliefs when I was a believer. I have witnessed countless positive changes from people I saw saved and even helped become saved. The proof was in the pudding. How could the Bible be bologna when I saw constant life changing stories taking place in my church and around me.

What helped me get around this was delving into philosophy and anthropology studies and really understanding Utilitarianism. Also following Jordan Peterson for the past year has really helped.

In the Utilitarianism view, if a group of cavemen have an incorrect superstition that says that evil spirits are expelled from their bodies in their waste and because of that belief they avoid being around or coming into contact with anything that their waste touches, including bodies of water. Then their superstition really is truth because it works. They can easily see that their survival rate is much better when they avoid their waste than when they do not.

So with this understanding, one can see that even though the Bible may contain a lot of "truth" so far as how we should live our lives, it doesn't mean that it has the ultimate reality of why it is correct. All that matters is that it works.

With my mind however, I cannot accept a Utilitarian view. I strive to know the Realist truth of what in fact is actually true in a Realist sense. And from every angle that I look at it, it seems quite clear to me that the Bible was made up and constructed over thousands of years with some of the most effective archetype stories for human living. This would make sense with the fact that so many other religions, including much other religions than Christianity that contain very similar stories.

So the fact that I have witnessed so many lives transformed through Christianity, to me, is no real proof that it is actually true metaphysically. That combined with the fact that I have no real experience with other widely followed religions and how they affect new believers. From just what I have read and heard, I see a lot of stories that are pretty similar to what I have experienced with Christianity.

People turning away from addiction and lives of self destruction. People being more loving of everyone around them. People filled with new conviction in living a good life and serving others.

Why does the Christian experience with this trump all the other religions that experience this as well?

That is not to say that I don't think there is any difference, or superiority of Christianity compared with other religions. Obviously I am biased having only been a Christian and no other religions, but I do think there is a better world view within it than most religions. Yet still, I don't see that as any reason to say that makes it metaphysically true.

I also believe that the culture that is captured at Texas A&M is far superior to that of other universities and that A&M got it right on how to build a college community. But that doesn't mean I think that the way they did it is exactly the ONLY valid way for all universities to do it.

Whoop to the last sentence.

Quote:

Which is okay. The bible does not contain the instructions on how to perform surgery, change a car battery, or fix a dishwasher. It is not exhaustive on it's view of God and there are still unanswered questions.

Quote:

I think in the Christian experience the heart of a person is changed by the Holy Spirit in a way that external religious practices cannot do. I find the more one is sensitive to the Lord, the more peace they have through suffering, the more patience they have with people, the more they are willing to admit their own faults instead of try to hide them.

Again this is not a proof, but a piece of evidence that I see that along with other evidence makes the case.

Quote:

Just goes to show how well constructed and how true to human nature the writers got it. Still not proof that it is divine in nature.

Whether you treat your neighbor with love and kindness because you think a powerful man in the sky commanded you to, or whether you do it because you just think that's what you should do doesn't matter so long as it accomplishes the same behavior.
However the same book is honest about the fact there if there is no resurrection this would be foolish. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die. Is there is no judgement, good or evil, wright or wrong, we should all do what feels good not matter the cost or who we harm in the process.

I think a person's conscious see's the danger's in my statement above.

Quote:

Several valid arguments against the idea that Jesus was foretold in the OT. First and foremost that being that the writers would have been aware of the OT verses when writing about Jesus. Jewish scholars certainly do not think Isaiah 53 refers to Jesus. I think most believe it is referencing Israel itself. Which kind of makes sense, especially when most Christians do not believe Jesus had any children.

Where did the idea of Jesus having children come from? Are you referring to only the Jewish scholars still waiting for the Messiah or are you including the ones who see Jesus in the OT in this passage and Psalm 22? Who is the He then? What is the evidence in the passage that a single person is being referred to vs a nation?

He was oppressed and He was afflicted,

Yet He did not open His mouth;
Like a lamb that is led to slaughter,
And like a sheep that is silent before its shearers,
So He did not open His mouth.
8 By oppression and judgment He was taken away;
And as for His generation, who considered
That He was cut off out of the land of the living
For the transgression of my people, to whom the stroke was due?
9 His grave was assigned with wicked men,
Yet He was with a rich man in His death,
Because He had done no violence,
Nor was there any deceit in His mouth.
10 But the Lord was pleased
To crush Him, putting Him to grief;
If He would render Himself as a guilt offering,
He will see His offspring,
He will prolong His days,
And the good pleasure of the Lord will prosper in His hand.
11 As a result of the anguish of His soul,
He will see it and be satisfied;
By His knowledge the Righteous One,
My Servant, will justify the many,
As He will bear their iniquities

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
25. Joel prophesied a blood moon 9th century bc, a blood moon occurred on the day of the crucifixion. The date of the eclipse can been seen on software that matches the exact day.

From a Christian Source
https://answersingenesis.org/jesus-christ/crucifixion/did-the-moon-appear-as-blood-on-the-night-of-the-crucifixion/
[url=https://answersingenesis.org/jesus-christ/crucifixion/did-the-moon-appear-as-blood-on-the-night-of-the-crucifixion/][/url]
Highly testable. Does the software show an eclipse on that day? Remember NASA has peer reviewed this. I actually disagree with the answered in Genesis guy. (Funny, that I read this exact article last week.)

Quote:

Just means that the writers of the Bible got a lot right about what types of things we shouldn't do in our lives because they are bad for us. Of course a vast majority of rules in the OT are outdated and really silly.

Thank God for the New Covenant!

Quote:

So you think a loving god allows a supernatural creature like that to prey on and trick god's creation and fool them into going to hell? Again, that's letting your young kids go unsupervised down Bourbon St at 2am.

Assumption 1, that people will be fooled into going to hell. Not biblical.
Assumption 2, that's God's ever left anyone unsupervised.
Assumption 3, God has left us without a conscious.
Assumption 4, we will always make the wrong choices when are parents are absent.

Quote:

So an author understands human desire and thinking? How is that proof of it being inspired by god?
It's a piece of evidence that the maker of humanity really knows what's going on with our deepest issues and needs unlike modern professionals in human behavior who rationalize away the consequences and severity of sin in our lives.

Example: how many kids are better off in this world because a counselor told a spouse to do whatever makes you 'happy' vs trying to resolve issues be an example to your kids of love, forgiveness, and faithfulness?

Quote:

Lust, pride, greed, sloth, gluttony, wrath, and envy all are perfectly explainable by evolutionary reasons.
Just the opposite is true. No moral law giver, no moral law. Nothing is forbidden and everything is permissible. If there is no judgment or God, we have only one shot at this life, get all that you can now because the future is irrelevant.

Quote:

So, in your view, you do not need to believe in Jesus or accept him as your savior in order to be saved?
Not at all and I'm surprised that that's what you concluded from my writing. A person can see the evidence of sin in their life, hear the gospel of what God did through them through Jesus and place their faith in Jesus, without knowing the doctrine of the trinity, without knowing who wrote the NT or even knowing that a bible exists.

Texaggie7nine

Quote:

When a car malfunctions we go to the designer for a fix.
When a human makes poor moral choices, we hold the person making the choices accountable. We are not excused. This pattern is universal.

We do this because it's the only way we can figure society will function well. That doesn't mean we have free will. You cannot say that a drug addict chose to stay addicted to drugs anymore than you can say you chose the color of your own hair.

However, you are dodging the question. If the robot did in reality have free will, why would it keep attacking women? How does that make sense. If humanity truly had free will, why will 100% of it give in to sin and need a savior? That sounds like a design flaw if there ever was one.

Quote:

The Bible is correct. You and I will be responsible for our own sins. You and I will not be held liable for our fathers wrong doings.
While Satan has the power to tempt us, we are not obligated to give in.

Then you are telling your young kids that you let walk down Bourbon St, in the middle of the night, that they will be held liable for their choices, regardless of whether some evil men came and tricked them into doing something bad or not.

Quote:

God designed things flawlessly, God designed creatures with free will. This takes on the risk for rebellion.

Flawlessly? So god desires that all souls would come to know him and be saved yet the majority of humans will not choose him through the method of Jesus and will go onto eternal punishment? Sounds like he flawlessly created a world where humans mostly end up damned to hell.

There is an obvious designer flaw if that is the case.

Quote:

And why would one be screwed? It's because they have chosen to reject the evidence, sin, rebel against God, and reject His free offer of hope, truth, and forgiveness.

No one would KNOWINGLY choose to reject the god of the Bible if they knew for a fact he was real. No one would knowingly choose to exist for eternity in misery. This is not a fair choice when people who, if they died today, would go to hell because they just didn't find enough evidence to believe the Bible when presented it.

Quote:

By stating that God is always there, I don't know who would claim that God will always answer our questions to our satisfaction. There are still questions that I have that are going unanswered since I've been praying daily that God will heal a loved one, yet have to watch her body decay before my eyes. God is not answering granting my wishes but I have seen the strength and hope that He's given her. Her words not mine, "if one person in her family comes to know Jesus through her suffering, the cancer is worth it" I've seen her inlaws more towards faith in Jesus.

This is a turn to an emotional plea. My analogy of a parent was not contingent upon a parent solving their child's issue for them, or even giving them the right answer. The parent still is physically there for the child and the child knows for a fact that they exist. They don't have to give them the right answer to their problem, but simply knowing they exist and lived life longer than you and love you is far more than the god of the bible does.

Quote:

That's the nature of reality. If you are dying and need insulin but choose to take suger cubes because you like the taste better you are at the mercy of your decision. I know someone who has quit chemo and radiation to pursue natural methods of healing. In their words, "I severely underestimated the cancer".

The reality that you believe in is one with a very spiteful and uncaring god.

Let's try this very flawed analogy to try to get my point across here so you can see what I am getting at.

Imagine that I secretly poison your drinking water in such a way that you unknowingly drink it every day and never suspect it.

You start having horrible symptoms that affect your body in all kinds of ways to the point where you are just living in misery.

You look for all kinds of solutions, you try all different ways to address your problem but you never stop drinking water from the source that I have poisoned because you never suspect that is what is hurting you.

Medical doctors can't even determine what the issue is from all the tests they perform on you.

One day, I send you an email that looks very much like all the other spam mail you get every day. It tells you that what you are drinking is poisoning you and you need to stop and you need to go out and buy a very specific type of herbal mixture to heal you. You, however, never really give it any thought because you see spam mail giving all kinds of crazy suggestions to buy stuff to make you feel better.

I keep sending you the email every month, yet you still never pay attention to it. I even stop by ever so often and as I'm talking to you I mention that you should probably stop drinking tap water and get bottled water because who knows what could be in it. Yet you just think that's silly because so many other people drink the tap water and seem fine.

10 years go by and you are just in absolute misery. I see the hell you are going through but I don't personally feel any remorse because it is you who continues to choose to drink the tap water that is poison, even after emailing you and telling you not to drink it.

Now if I came up to you and said "I poisoned you tap water faucet, and that is why you are having all these issues. You need to stop drinking that water and you need to drink this herbal mixture that will heal you.", you would probably immediately do that, then proceed with killing me of course.

The bible proposes that we are sick by nature, and if god created everything as it is, then he designed our sickness. Then we are expected to know the cause of our sickness and how to remedy it through being told about a book that was written by holy people that tells us to have faith without any real evidence and then we can be saved. On top of that, there are many other books and holy people of different religions telling us that THEY know what we need to do, and yet we are just supposed to know they are wrong, even though they seem to be quite happy in their beliefs and quite confident they will be right when they die.

And we are supposed to weave our way through all these false religions to get to the one true one so that we can finally be saved and for those that aren't lucky enough to find the bible more convincing than other ways, then they are doomed to eternal misery.

Quote:

Jesus is not offering one path out of many or offering a solution that makes a person feel good. He's offering a cure to heal the cancer of the world, sin. The world needs the cure and it's up to us to stop fighting God and work with Him.

A cancer that he would be responsible for as our creator. To design creatures that immediately are plagued by a cancer from their inception, makes you a pretty bad designer or a pretty bad planner by allowing other creatures in to trick them into having that cancer.

Quote:

The gift of life is good. Freedom is good. Justice is good.

None of that is good for the millions of souls that will forever be in hell. It is only good for those that aren't doomed to that destiny.

Quote:

To ask the Turek question. "If the Bible or Christianity is true, would you put your faith in Jesus?"

100%.
:-D
In the words of the great rapper Hopsin from his song Ill Mind of Hopsin 7

"Show yourself, and then boom, it's done
Every rumor's gone, I no longer doubt this ****, you're the One
I'll admit that my sinful ways was stupid fun
And all my old habits can hop on top of a roof to plunge
I'll donate to a charity that could use the funds
**** the club; instead of *****es, I'd hang with a group of nuns
And everyone I ran into would know what I came to do
I wouldn't take a step unless it was in the name of you"

Quote:

Yes, we are ignorant, sinful, foolish sheep. However it doesn't take a genius to realize that we are sinful and that no one other than Jesus offers a solution.

How is that a solution? It's really just an offer to not suffer the punishment for it when we die.

That assumption has too many issues. Firstly, there is nothing self evident about our "brokenness" that says we deserve eternal punishment for it.

Quote:

I think [your] understanding of how God works is not consistent with how God operates. Example:

Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah the second time, saying,2 "Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and proclaim to it the proclamation which I am going to tell you...5 Then the people of Nineveh believed in God... When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it

If all have sinned as you have acknowledged, then by offering Jesus you are offering the words of life and freedom from judgement.

This makes the god of the bible even worse.

So, before Jonah preached to them, where they completely ignorant of god and the cost of sinning? And yet god was going to destroy and judge them anyways?

Or had they heard the commandments of god and knew right from wrong and chosen not to believe them, but because Jonah was such a good preacher they were convinced he was right and they turned from their wicked ways?

In that case, the eternal souls of all those people were dependent upon 1 man making the decision to go preach to them.

What kind of loving god would rest the fate of all those souls on one mans decision? Had he chosen not to go, all those people would die a horrible death and suffer eternal punishment because of a choice that they didn't even get to make.

Quote:

16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.

So he loves the world, yet if it does not believe in him THEN he hates it.

Quote:

Thank your sharing. Now what is the evidence for this worldview?

No one has found any provable evidence for any of their beliefs. We have no clue how the universe came into being or how it operates at the most fundamental level. That leads me to believe that no one knows the truth.

Quote:

Let's be clear, you also believe that everyone who doesn't believe like you do is wrong. These types of statements do not move us forward in the conversation.

Sure it does. We may not know what the truth is, but we can at least rule things out that obviously aren't. I believe in all my searching that I have ruled out the bible being true. I believe that is true.

Quote:

I think that if your worldview is that probably everyone is wrong, then before we even get into the evidence we have a self defeating worldview. If everyone is probably wrong, then I'm probably wrong for believing that which means someone is probably right.

I think it's pretty evident that IF there is a god, that it doesn't really care that much about people knowing the truth.

Quote:

Are your parent's Christians? yes
How fast is Christianity growing in China? very
When will it surpass the number of Christians in America? Probably in 50 or so years I would guess.
How has the center of Christianity (most Christians) changed throughout history compared to other religions? a lot, unless you actually think the RCC is the center of Christianity, in that case, it hasn't really changed from being a corrupt bastion of power

Quote:

Isalm - claims Jesus did NOT die. Eye witness testimony details His death. Accounts outside of the biblical account tells us He died. The Q of Islam was written in another part of the world away from the events 600 years after the events. To a reasonable thinking person which evidence better supports the events?

Jesus is not a central character in Islam. Why doesn't it matter if they got some of the details wrong? The bible does that quite a bit on dates and places.

Quote:

Buddhism claims there is no God. Buddhism, Atheism, Islam, Hinduism cannot all be true at the same time. Buddhism claims a 'right path' or moral code which rejecting a moral law giver. This is not rational.

It's not rational that you can have an objective morality without a god that tells you what exactly it is? I don't see that at all.

7nine
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

I think in the Christian experience the heart of a person is changed by the Holy Spirit in a way that external religious practices cannot do. I find the more one is sensitive to the Lord, the more peace they have through suffering, the more patience they have with people, the more they are willing to admit their own faults instead of try to hide them.

Again this is not a proof, but a piece of evidence that I see that along with other evidence makes the case.
Let me ask you. How many personal experiences have you had with people being converted into other religions like Buddhism or Hinduism? How do you know Christianity has exclusivity on it being a heart changing event?

To me, I think Christianity offers a great method for people to change from stubborn, callous people to humble, caring people. It offers them an out. A way to skirt their pride and say that it's not that they were wrong and Christians were right, but that everyone is wrong and only Jesus is right and can make our lives better by following him. Especially when you throw in the notion of a clean slate where you can feel like you are no longer under the stain of past wrongdoings. To me, this is why Christianity was so successful in converting so many the past 2000 years.

Doesn't make it right about the metaphysics though.

Quote:

However the same book is honest about the fact there if there is no resurrection this would be foolish. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die. Is there is no judgement, good or evil, wright or wrong, we should all do what feels good not matter the cost or who we harm in the process.

I think a person's conscious see's the danger's in my statement above.
I would say a person's common sense and rationality would see the danger in it. Logic and reason lead to knowing that commandment 5-10 are all valid regardless of whether there is a god or not, if you want to have a happy society. You can argue that the Bible was needed to establish the morals of the western world, but now that it has been well established, you could remove belief in the Bible and still have a solid morality. Question is, would as many people keep from violating that morality if they didn't believe in the Bible. I think possibly not. That is why I do not advocate for a purely godless and secular society.

Quote:

Where did the idea of Jesus having children come from?
He will see his offspring

Quote:

What is the evidence in the passage that a single person is being referred to vs a nation?
Many OT passages are allegorical in that way. I don't think there is proof one way or the other.

Quote:

Highly testable. Does the software show an eclipse on that day? Remember NASA has peer reviewed this. I actually disagree with the answered in Genesis guy. (Funny, that I read this exact article last week.)
Not the eclipse of the type that would create a "Blood moon" that I can tell.

Quote:

Assumption 1, that people will be fooled into going to hell. Not biblical.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15, Mark 4:15, 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12, Revelation 12:9, and Revelation 19:20 would all disagree with you on that.

Quote:

Assumption 2, that's God's ever left anyone unsupervised.

Saying he's watching and knows what's going on is not supervising. Allowing satan and non believers to trick people from being believers is not supervising. Allowing believers of other faiths who truly believe that they are following god, with honest and loving intentions to keep on believing that is not supervising.

Quote:

Assumption 3, God has left us without a conscious.
We doubt our thoughts all the time. Without knowing for a fact that god exists, how would this supposed conscience that god gives you any real understanding that what you are doing is actually wrong?

Quote:

Assumption 4, we will always make the wrong choices when are parents are absent.
A 5 year old will. And comparing a regular adult human to satan insofar as knowledge of the universe and how it works is like that of a 5 year old to adults. If an adult were to approach your 5 year old and tell them that they are in danger and they need to go with them to be safe, how could they really know if they were telling the truth?

Quote:

It's a piece of evidence that the maker of humanity really knows what's going on with our deepest issues and needs unlike modern professionals in human behavior who rationalize away the consequences and severity of sin in our lives.

Example: how many kids are better off in this world because a counselor told a spouse to do whatever makes you 'happy' vs trying to resolve issues be an example to your kids of love, forgiveness, and faithfulness?
There are plenty of counselors out there that aren't christian that would not give them that advice.

Human knowledge has long known that simply doing what you think makes you happy does not end well for you or your family. It's not that difficult to surmise that when studying humans.

Quote:

Just the opposite is true. No moral law giver, no moral law. Nothing is forbidden and everything is permissible. If there is no judgment or God, we have only one shot at this life, get all that you can now because the future is irrelevant.
That is a major flaw in christianity. Though I wouldn't say all christians think that way. It is usually a belief held by those that were raised up in christianity. They never had to fathom morality without a god that gives the rules. I held the same belief as well, because I was brought up a christian.

I used to argue with atheist saying if there is no god then there is no ground to stand on to say Hitler was evil. From his point of view he was righteous and that would be just as valid a position with no morality giver.

As I began to really study philosophy and secular moral thought, it became quite clear that a morality can be established through reason and logic. Harming someone who has not or is not harming you or someone else isn't morally wrong only if a god says it is. It is wrong objectively because you never had an inherent right to harm them in the first place. With no higher power, there is nothing that can say that any person is more important than any other in morality.

Though, I will say again, I am an agnostic deist.

Quote:

Not at all and I'm surprised that that's what you concluded from my writing. A person can see the evidence of sin in their life, hear the gospel of what God did through them through Jesus and place their faith in Jesus, without knowing the doctrine of the trinity, without knowing who wrote the NT or even knowing that a bible exists.
I asked if they had to believe in Jesus to be saved and your answer is "not at all, they only need to believe in Jesus to be saved"?
7nine

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.