Gallup: Belief in YEC at all-time low in US

6,136 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggiefan#1
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://news.gallup.com/poll/210956/belief-creationist-view-humans-new-low.aspx

Quote:

The percentage of U.S. adults who believe that God created humans in their present form at some time within the last 10,000 years or so -- the strict creationist view -- has reached a new low. Thirty-eight percent of U.S. adults now accept creationism, while 57% believe in some form of evolution -- either God-guided or not -- saying man developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life.
Quote:

Higher education levels are associated with less support for creationism and higher levels of belief in the evolutionary explanation for human origins. Belief in creationism is 21% among those with postgraduate education versus 48% of those with no more than a high school diploma. Agreement with evolution without God's involvement is 31% among postgrads versus 12% among Americans with a high school education or less.
Quote:

Views by people's religious preferences or lack thereof paint an illuminating picture as well. More Catholics believe that humans evolved but God guided the process (45%) than believe in the creationist viewpoint (37%). Creationism is still the view that half of Protestants and other Christians (50%) hold, but it is not dominant, with 39% saying humans essentially evolved with God's guidance.
Quote:

Bottom Line

Most Americans believe that God had a role in creating human beings, whether in their present form or as part of an evolutionary process over millions of years. But fewer Americans today hold strict creationist views of the origins of humans than at any point in Gallup's trend on the question, and it is no longer the single most popular of the three explanations. Creationism still ties for the leading view, along with the view that evolution was guided by a divine hand. Fewer than one in five Americans hold a secular view of evolution, but that proportion has doubled since the start of this millennium.
Woody2006
AG
Is this surprising? I would bet religiosity in general is at an all-time low in this country.
DirtDiver
Factors in my opinion that contribute to the decline:

• The U.S. Supreme Court made its first-ever decision on prayer in public schools. It made its second in 1963the Abington School District v. Schempp ruling, which made the corporate reading of the Bible and recitation of the Lord's Prayer unlawful in public schools.
  • One world view is government funded
  • One world view is required to be (not believed) but understood in order to pass exams
  • It's not required to understand the arguments for YEC in public schools.
  • One world view doesn't have it's flaws taught along with the theory.
  • Christians not being exposed for the arguments for YEC.

*Note - I believe in a young earth creation. I 'believe' that Adam was created on day 6 and is in the lineage of Jesus. Holding to this view has nothing to do with becoming a Christian. Becoming a Christian happens when a person acknowledges that they are a sinner and they place their faith in Jesus and his death and resurrection for their own sins.

Scotts Tot
AG
Quote:

One world view doesn't have it's flaws taught along with the theory

Out of curiosity, what are the flaws with the scientifically theorized age of the earth and evolution? Not trying to be snarky, just want to hear the rational arguments used to shoot holes in these theories, other than "the Bible says so".
PacifistAg
AG
The only point I really wanted to address from your post is this:

Quote:

It's not required to understand the arguments for YEC in public schools
Doesn't this make sense? As far as I'm aware, there's no scientific support for YEC, so it would make sense that it isn't taught in science courses. It's like saying there's no requirement to understand the arguments for a flat earth.
Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Doesn't this make sense? As far as I'm aware, there's no scientific support for YEC, so it would make sense that it isn't taught in science courses. It's like saying there's no requirement to understand the arguments for a flat earth.
Why isn't it taught in theology courses?
PacifistAg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Well, given that his comment was about public schools, I'd assume it's due to public schools not having theology courses, at least at the high school level. If you're talking about private schools, you'd have to ask them. We were taught YEC at the private schools I attended periodically as a kid.
Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Well, given that his comment was about public schools, I'd assume it's due to public schools not having theology courses, at least at the high school level. If you're talking about private schools, you'd have to ask them. We were taught YEC at the private schools I attended periodically as a kid.
Well, that's his point, isn't it? If kids are taught one thing in school growing up, it's no real surprise that they'll believe that one thing.

You'd have to have parents who strongly believe in 6 day creation to tell them the school is wrong for them to believe otherwise. I'm surprised it is as high as it is.
Post removed:
by user
Aggrad08
AG
Quote:

It's not required to understand the arguments for YEC in public schools.

These arguments are so bad and so casually discredited I think it would increase rejection of YEC. Ignorance is the finest tool you have.
Martin Q. Blank
YEC is not a scientific commitment. It is Biblical. The earth appears old. Adam appeared old. Jesus' wine appeared old. A person without the Bible would never think up that everything was created in 6 days.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

YEC is not a scientific commitment.
Which is why it makes sense to not teach it in non-religious schools.
Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

YEC is not a scientific commitment.
Which is why it makes sense to not teach it in non-religious schools.
Original ancestor theory is not a scientific commitment either. And not DirtDiver's point.

1. Teach one thing.
2. Take poll.
3. That one thing is what most people start to believe.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

YEC is not a scientific commitment. It is Biblical. The earth appears old. Adam appeared old. Jesus' wine appeared old. A person without the Bible would never think up that everything was created in 6 days.
I don't share this view, but I can respect it. I'd certainly find the theological/metaphysical discussion of such a lot more interesting than a Ken Hamm type pseudoscience
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

I don't share this view, but I can respect it. I'd certainly find the theological/metaphysical discussion of such a lot more interesting than a Ken Hamm type pseudoscience
Agreed.
Martin Q. Blank
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

"YEC" is a misnomer. What is a "young" earth? What would it look like? It's like calling the wine Jesus made "young".
FightinTexasAggie08
[Knock it off or get banned. -Staff]

PacifistAg
AG
JJMt said:

Quote:

there's no scientific support for YEC
That's simply not correct. Many on here would argue that the scientific evidence against YEC is overwhelming, but scientific support for YEC does exist.

There are several active, credible scientists who are YECs. Just a few that come to mind are John Sanford at Cornell (world renowned geneticist and inventor of the gene gun), Art Chadwick at Southwestern Adventist University (has had the cover article in Geology magazine several times), Kurt Wise (Harvard PhD in paleontology), Paul Nelson (Univ. of Chicago PhD in philosophy of science), Todd Wood (PhD in biochemistry from UVa), and John Baumgardner (PhD in geophysics from UCLA, also developer of the deep earth computer model "Terra" which was, and perhaps is, the go to model for deep earth geophysics).

In addition, these scientists have done original work producing evidence in support of YEC. Most on this board find that evidence unpersuasive, but that's different from "no scientific support".
Can you provide a link to some of this research? I'm genuinely curious.
craigernaught
AG
The obsession with Retired on this board is unbelievable.

Edit: the posts were deleted I guess.
PacifistAg
ramblin_ag02
AG
So why would God make a universe that appears older than it is?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Martin Q. Blank
ramblin_ag02 said:

Creation in general was done to display his power and wisdom. Why he made Adam "appear" 30 years old and not 29, or a zygote? Why that rock was place there instead of 1 inch to the right? I have no idea and think it's a foolish question.
PacifistAg
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

It basically requires one hold the belief in a trickster God.

In that view, did dinosaurs never really exist, but were just placed there by God? If they did exist, did He create every single one to appear older than it is?
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

I have no idea and think it's a foolish question.
You say that God created a universe that appears to be much, much, much older than it actually is and left only evidence of the much older age. It is certainly not foolish to ask why that might be
Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

It basically requires one hold the belief in a trickster God.

In that view, did dinosaurs never really exist, but were just placed there by God? If they did exist, did He create every single one to appear older than it is?
I never understood the trickster argument. Jesus appears (scientifically) to have never died for sins. The Bible says he did. Did God "trick" mankind?
Martin Q. Blank
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

You say that God created a universe that appears to be much, much, much older than it actually is and left only evidence of the much older age. It is certainly not foolish to ask why that might be
What is evidence? The Bible says he created the world in 6 days.
PacifistAg
AG
Do you believe dinosaurs actually existed? Or do you believe they existed, but when they died, God altered how "old" they would appear to us?
Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg said:

Do you believe dinosaurs actually existed? Or do you believe they existed, but when they died, God altered how "old" they would appear to us?
I have no clue what dinosaurs are, if they ever lived, when they died, or how old they are. And don't care.
PacifistAg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

The Bible isn't a textbook. It isn't a science manual. It does record some historical events but often with culturally conditioned embellishments. ANE cultures communicated these things in far different ways than we do today, which is why we see similarities between the Judeo-Christian creation myth and other ANE creation myths.
Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

The Bible isn't a textbook. It isn't a science manual. It does record some historical events but often with culturally conditioned embellishments. ANE cultures communicated these things in far different ways than we do today, which is why we see similarities between the Christian creation myth and other ANE creation myths.
I believe the creation narrative in Genesis is one of those historical events.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
PacifistAg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

The Bible isn't a textbook. It isn't a science manual. It does record some historical events but often with culturally conditioned embellishments. ANE cultures communicated these things in far different ways than we do today, which is why we see similarities between the Christian creation myth and other ANE creation myths.
I believe the creation narrative in Genesis is one of those historical events.
That's fine, but as I said, ANE methods of recording historical events is not the same as we use today. Point-by-point accuracy wasn't the goal. It was to convey points. If you took ANE history writers and put them on a hill outside Gettysburg in early July 1863, they are going to record the events of those days FAR differently than Shelby Foote would.
Quad Dog
AG
JJMt said:

"Can you provide a link to some of this research? I'm genuinely curious."

I am not aware of a single site that provides all of the research. However, the Journal of Creation has some stuff. You can also Google those individuals' names and find work that they've done scattered across the internet. Some also have their own websites with some of the work they've done there.
Just make sure you also Google their names with a word similar to disproved after it too. Because you'll find a bunch there too.
Post removed:
by user
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.