'Does the World Know? Do They Care?'

1,150 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
15-Y-O Christian Girl Leah Sharibu Days Away From Execution
https://www.christianpost.com/news/15-year-old-christian-girl-leah-sharibu-days-away-from-execution-227830/

Quote:

The parents of Christian schoolgirl Leah Sharibu are making a last-minute appeal to save their daughter from execution at the hands of terrorists.
Sharibu, along with a young nurse midwife by the name of Saifura Khorsa, is nearing the end of the 30-day warning issued by Nigerian terror group Boko Haram.
"Now we watch in horror as she, and the other women and girls with her, are led before the jihadist firing squads or worse," said Founding Coalition member and Save the Persecuted Christians Director Dede Laugesen in a statement shared with The Christian Post.
"Does the world even know? Do they care? Where is the outcry for Saifura? For Leah? For all the other women and girls with them? As American Christians, we can no longer turn a blind eye to what is happening worldwide to our brothers and sisters," Laugesen declared.

Quote:

The 15 year old has refused to renounce her faith in Jesus Christ in order to be granted her freedom, and is in danger of being put to death for her decision.

I was not aware of this until this morning. We talk about all these "brave" people in America for stating their opinions on certain subjects. Here is TRUE bravery. Please pray for God to intervene.

PacifistAg
AG
Thank you for sharing this. I had not heard of her.
Frok
AG
Me neither. There is real spiritual warfare going on over there right now.

"O Lord, you hear the desire of the afflicted; you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, so that man who is of the earth may strike terror no more" Psalm 19:17-18

Amen.
Zobel
AG
I am proud of her. I pray that she is encouraged, strengthened, and comforted by the Holy Spirit.
PacifistAg
AG
Agreed. Because we tend to live nerf lives here in the US and have no real comprehension of what persecution looks like, I sit in awe of anyone, especially a 15 yr old, who refuses to deny their Savior and stares death in the face knowing that it's already been defeated.
ramblin_ag02
AG
That's both the most awful circumstance and the most wonderful reaction to it. Compared to her I feel like a fraudulent Christian
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
unimboti nkum
AG
Can't she just renounce her religion, gain her freedom, then go back to being a Christian again? Or will god send her to hell for that?
Frok
AG
Matthew 10:32 "So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven"

Many did exactly that in the early church and it was a big controversy on whether they should be let back in the church. Ultimately I think grace still saves you but you will have to deal with the shame of disobedience.

But the reason we hold firm to Christ is to be a witness to all men. Martyrs make big impacts. But I pray this girl does not become one.
Serotonin
AG
What an amazing living example of faith. Thank you for sharing, she is an inspiration.

Back in my Reformed days I listened to a sermon by John Piper that was on this very set up. Basically terrorists hijack a plane and give you the option to renounce Christ and be freed, or not, and be killed.

Most Christians say they would give up their life for Christ, even in this situation. But Piper pointed out that this answer doesn't really jive with how Christians choose to live their lives.

Theoretically, I SAY I'd give up everything for Christ. Yet practically I can't even give up very easy, small things.
Frok
AG
I think easier circumstances make us lazier. If Hillary Clinton becomes president and decides to start rounding up christians to murder them I bet your fervor will increase.

Hillary reference is just for fun, not implying anything political
Serotonin
AG
Frok said:

I think easier circumstances make us lazier. If Hillary Clinton becomes president and decides to start rounding up christians to murder them I bet your fervor will increase.

Yes, I agree with that. I think we get lazy and inattentive. We're also saturated with images and ideas which cause us to chase worldly things.
dermdoc
AG
Thanks for the heads up. Prayers sent and will be sent.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Frok said:

Luckily we don't have any politicians here advocating for slaughtering innocent women and children. I mean. . . can you imagine if an American politician said something like "The other thing with the terrorists is you have to take out their families, when you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families. They care about their lives, don't kid yourself. When they say they don't care about their lives, you have to take out their families." I'm glad we wouldn't stand for that here.
gordo97
AG
So much violence in this world.... God have mercy on us all
Pro Sandy
AG
unimboti nkum said:

Can't she just renounce her religion, gain her freedom, then go back to being a Christian again? Or will god send her to hell for that?
I think the account of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in Daniel 3 is quite telling what our faith should look like if we profess to follow the one true God.

Quote:

Furious with rage, Nebuchadnezzar summoned Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. So these men were brought before the king, and Nebuchadnezzar said to them, "Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, that you do not serve my gods or worship the image of gold I have set up? Now when you hear the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipe and all kinds of music, if you are ready to fall down and worship the image I made, very good. But if you do not worship it, you will be thrown immediately into a blazing furnace. Then what god will be able to rescue you from my hand?"

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, "King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver usfrom Your Majesty's hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Having the faith to confess Christ up to the point of death is the pinnacle of Christianity. It's pretty much as close as you're going to get to guaranteed sainthood and eternal life. From a Christian perspective, martyrdom is the ultimate expression of faith, and it is something to be embraced if circumstances make it necessary.

Someone could also deny Christ and get on with their lives, and then they to come back to the faith. Peter did that exact thing 3 times when Jesus was arrested, and he managed to make something of himself after repenting. However, denying Christ to avoid persecution is probably the ultimate expression that someone really isn't a Christian in the first place
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.