A Formula for Atheism

3,518 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Marco Esquandolas
Star Wars Memes Only
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

For a young person, trusting a fundamentalist pastor and Ken Ham is no different than trusting their physics teacher and Edwin Hubble. Both are just assertive authority figures.

Disagree. Even a young person can recognize the difference in methodology between how religious and scientific conclusions are derived. So yes, you do have to take esoteric physics ideas on authority just like you have to take religious ideas, but you are aware that the physics conclusions were arrived at based on empirical evidence. That makes a world of difference.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm talking like 10 years old. Not 17 and able to rationally analyze empirical evidence
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Beer Baron
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

Frok said:

I think it's a pretty ridiculous statement to say fundamentalism causes atheism.

I'm Exhibit A, ask me ask me ask me
Exhibit B here. I know plenty of people who were raised in much more chill versions of Christianity who still believe all the big picture tenets of it even though they hold very similar opinions to me on most other things. Excluding a friend who was raised without religion, every atheist I know IRL was raised with the full court press, in-your-face type of Christianity. Of course this is anecdotal and proves nothing. I just find it interesting.
Star Wars Memes Only
ramblin_ag02 said:

I'm talking like 10 years old. Not 17 and able to rationally analyze empirical evidence

My post had 10 year olds in mind. I think a 10 year old is capable of distinguishing the credibility between different authority figures.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. A 10 year old with fundamentalist parents, who attends fundamentalist church, and likely has a fundamentalist elementary science teacher in school is not going to find Richard Dawkins (or even Neil Tyson) as a credible authority figure
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Beer Baron
AG
Yeah I think they'd be firmly in the "people who are trying to lead you astray" category.
Star Wars Memes Only
ramblin_ag02 said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. A 10 year old with fundamentalist parents, who attends fundamentalist church, and likely has a fundamentalist elementary science teacher in school is not going to find Richard Dawkins (or even Neil Tyson) as a credible authority figure

Sure, but indoctrination is hard to break no matter what age or creed. My point was merely that those are two different types of authorities. I do believe that someone who isn't steeped into a particular ideology can recognize that.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Fair enough. Give it a few more years and I'm with you. "Indoctrinated" teens are still rebelious and independent, and many of them rebel against their parents by questioning their beliefs. Once they find how shallow fundamentalist beliefs are, then they feel duped by their parents and church. That's a hard divide to bridge once it happens.
Win At Life
AG
Woody2006 said:

Win At Life said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Gig 1995 said:

The Bible never says the earth is 10,000 years okd
Correct. It only says it was created in 6 days.

The birth ages from Adam to Abraham are specified in exact detail. I've added them up myself. According to scripture, Abraham was born exactly 1948 years after Adam. Add the years specified in Egypt, the judges and Kings until they mention another national king we have dated in archeology. The math points to Adam living approximately 4000 BC.

You really believe Methuselah lived almost a sixth of human history?
I have not stated what a believe or don't believe. What I've stated, is simply what the plain letter of what is written in the book of Genesis.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Win At Life said:

Woody2006 said:

Win At Life said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Gig 1995 said:

The Bible never says the earth is 10,000 years okd
Correct. It only says it was created in 6 days.

The birth ages from Adam to Abraham are specified in exact detail. I've added them up myself. According to scripture, Abraham was born exactly 1948 years after Adam. Add the years specified in Egypt, the judges and Kings until they mention another national king we have dated in archeology. The math points to Adam living approximately 4000 BC.

You really believe Methuselah lived almost a sixth of human history?
I have not stated what a believe or don't believe. What I've stated, is simply what the plain letter of what is written in the book of Genesis.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.