This entire twitter thread

530 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PacifistAg
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not going to get into a back and forth with the usual suspects. That's not what sharing this is for. I don't even care if there's no replies at all. I just think it's an amazing series of comments that's worth sharing.

ramblin_ag02
AG
And here I was using violent, self-sacrificial love

I get where the guy is coming from but reading that twitter thread made me worry that he's gone off his meds. I've interacted way too often with manic people for that not to set off lots of alarm bells
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
Oh he's certainly ramped up. He's typically pretty relaxed, so I think getting ramped up like that comes across differently.
UTExan
I just honestly don't see the world ever being transformed by human effort. That has been at the crux of the Social Gospel movement for a century dating back to Rauschenbusch. The world may improve physical aspects of existence such as medical care, sanitation engineering and legal procedure, but that will not change the overall and transitory condition of the human heart. That is one reason I believe the Mosaic codes were insistent on God being at the center of existence and the relatively harsh judicial punishments.

Jeremiah 17:19
Quote:

The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (NIV)
And it is the reason Christians long for Jesus to return and rule the earth in the Millennium with a "rod of iron".
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
PacifistAg
AG
I didn't see anything in there tweets about "social gospel". Looks to me like he's just saying we need to be imitators of Christ, and it's the Spirit working through our witness to the Jesus way that the world will see the Kingdom. Perhaps I missed something he said though.

I also don't think he's said, or even implied, that human effort will transform the world. It's the Spirit working through the church, but that's hard if we don't look like Christ.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.