Shen Yun and Falun Gong

1,335 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by pagerman @ work
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?

It is almost Shen Yun season in Houston

I have mixed feelings about going, although I know I would enjoy the show.

Shen Yun is a Chinese dance performance put on by members of a semi-buddhist sect called Falun Gong. Depending on who you ask, it is a cult and the show is a propaganda piece.

Some articles I found on the subject

http://www.startribune.com/shen-yun-politics-behind-the-performance/290985131/

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/12/shen-yun-falun-gong-traditional-chinese-dance-troupe-china-doesnt-want-you-to-see

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/theatre-and-performance/inside-shen-yuns-delicate-dance-between-politics-and-thestage/article34201842/

From the Chinese Embassy
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/xglj/flgzx/

When I was in China, I saw Anti-Falun Gong propaganda. When I was in Macau, I saw Anti-Chinese propoganda reporting that the Chinese gov was killing Falun Gong members.

My pictures:
This was in Macau

I totally forgot what this protest thing was

These are monks taking selfies

Ah! Found it. This is in Ngong Ping...propaganda about how bad and dangerous Falun Gong is

swimmerbabe11
unrelated, here is a really big Buddha and a nerd
PacifistAg
AG
Cool. I saw a huge one, although it may not have been Buddha, when I was in Bangkok.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Meh, who cares if they're cult if it's entertaining. Just look at the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (j/k)

Nice humble brag thread btw
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
I always wondered what deal was with those shows.
swimmerbabe11
So that is an interesting question...

If the Branch Davidians had put on an awesome holiday special..would you have been okay with attending?

Apparently, they get into the oppression they have seen by the Chinese government during the show, so there is definitely some political aspect to going.

In those pictures, the Chinese government said that Falun Gong was leading to deaths..and then the protesters in Macau said that the Chinese government was killing Falun Gong members to sell their organs.. I'm guessing the truth lies somewhere in the middle
ramblin_ag02
AG
Well the Chinese government says the same thing about pacifist Tibetan monks, so grains of salt are necessary.

I don't see any drug cartels or muslim militants putting on circus shows on our side of the world
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Frok
AG
Quote:

If the Branch Davidians had put on an awesome holiday special..would you have been okay with attending?

I watch stuff that comes out of Hollywood
PacifistAg
AG
I see attending a show like this along the same lines as what Paul addressed in 1 Corinthians 8 about eating food sacrificed to idols.
one MEEN Ag
AG
There's a youtube channel called China Uncensored who does a really good video on the history of Falun Gong, why communist china persecutes it, and its current state of affairs with Shen Yun. As a side note, China Uncensored positions itself as 'revealing the real issues with modern China.' Guy comes off like he really cares about the people of China and is not just riffing on them because this is 'American Propaganda.'

To make a long story short, Falun Gong is persecuted because it a large religious/spiritual following with a leader. Atheist China does not like any other leaders in town, especially those with a religious alignment.

From a christian perspective, I always thought supporting Shen Yun was more aligned with preserving chinese culture from the communist regime outweighed any religious objections to it.
Win At Life
AG
I don't know anything about their religion or politics, but the wife wanted to see the Shen Yun thing a couple years ago, so we went.

Scene one:
One lady jumping and twirling.
Several ladies jumping and twirling
One guy jumping and twirling
Several guys jumping and twirling
Cast of ladies jumping and twirling
Cast of guys jumping and twirling
Scene two:
Scene three:
Final:
Both casts of ladies and guys jumping and twirling
94chem
Win At Life said:

I don't know anything about their religion or politics, but the wife wanted to see the Shen Yun thing a couple years ago, so we went.

Scene one:
Scene two:
Scene three:
Final:
Both casts of ladies and guys jumping and twirling
This. Gets tickets for TUTS, HGO, Orchestra, or Ballet, and skip this 2nd rate twirly-fest. Plus, you don't give money to the Chinese Moonies.
gordo97
AG
Frok said:

Quote:

I watch stuff that comes out of Hollywood

Branch Davidians are in control of Hollywood now???? When did that happen???
pagerman @ work
AG
"Monks Taking Selfies" would be a great band name.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.