Directed evolution wins the Nobel prize

1,198 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PacifistAg
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/10/revolution-based-evolution-honored-chemistry-nobel

I've crossed paths with these folks, and most of my career has been spent using the theory of evolution to try to make better proteins, so this is cool. Like with most of the prizes it's too bad it only can be split 3 ways (and that you have to be living, which excluded one of my old bosses who made major contributions to this field)

Also, the chemists are pissed that yet another prize in chemistry goes to proteins. I'm not sure synthetic chemistry will ever win again.
Sapper Redux
Fake news. All these proteins are the same kind and created on the third day at 4:27 in the afternoon.

Seriously though, very cool. And the three person rule is really ridiculous.
ramblin_ag02
AG
We're just now starting to see the full medical impact of custom antibodies. They're still crazy expensive, but there is still a ton of potential.

And the chemists can complain all they want. Chemistry Nobels are pretty much limited to material science, nanotech, and proteins
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Buck O Five
AG
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
PacifistAg
AG
I won't pretend to understand a fraction of the stuff they're talking about, but science is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
FlyFish95
Perfect post for a Religion and Philosophy board.
PacifistAg
AG
Gig 1995 said:

Perfect post for a Religion and Philosophy board.
In all fairness, there is no science board so this place is as relevant as any. Also, conversations tend to be more civil here than elsewhere, in my experience.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.