Are Mormons Christians?

9,128 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BlackGoldAg2011
Van Til
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thoughts?
Bigballin
AG
No
unimboti nkum
AG
Yes, just weirder.
schmendeler
AG
They definitely fall within the widest bounds of Christian belief historically. But don't follow mainstream current doctrine.
jkag89
An extremely unorthodox offshoot of traditional Christianity.
amercer
AG
Paging Bob, please come to forum 15 at your earliest convenience.
Van Til
The reason I ask is Because i had two come to my house today. They were very young. 20 both of them. We talked and I was talking about things they have never heard of before. They stumbled upon the wrong house. They told me they believed Jesus was God. But then they told me they don't believe in the trinity. I told them that believing Jesus is God is required. I then told them that 1+2 is not 4. And if reasons for belief are wrong is the belief true?

We talked some more and then they left. Afterwards I began thinking about what I told them. I basically parroted what I was told growing up. Namely that Mormons teach a different gospel. But does it really matter the reasons for a belief? Or is the belief what matters? I know my math analogy was not good but I was not prepared.
DaBaba
Are Christians Jews?
UTExan
They believe in Jesus as savior...to what degree is up to the Lord to judge. And most Mormons are good people who try to obey, if in fairly legalistic contexts, the moral and ethical principles in the Bible. Others are just like the prosperity gospel types and it's all about money. I suspect many will be shocked to see the number of Mormons in heaven because there is a tendency to dismiss them as a group because of certain theological holdings. We would all be condemned if we were judged on certain esoteric theological positions held as individuals.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
No more than Catholics. Okay I kid. I think that the belief in Christ as the Mesisah qualifies you as a Christian. Everything else is a discussion on what's 99% correct, most likely correct, and just plain wrong.

They get a lot of things wrong,
But man are they good people.
Star Wars Memes Only
jkag89 said:

An extremely unorthodox offshoot of traditional Christianity.

Isn't this all of Protestantism?
Zobel
AG
Belief in "Jesus as savior" is an awfully low bar. Paul of Samasota, Marcion, Valentinus, Arius, Sabellius, Pelagius, Novatian, Donatus, Eunomius, Macedonius, Photinus, Apollinaris, Priscillian, Iovinian, Celestius, Nestorius all scoot over this bar.
Aggrad08
AG
Many names on that list could certainly be called christian. Heretic sure, to varying degrees. With many far closer to traditional Christianity than Mormonism. But that's the nature of sects.
Zobel
AG
sure. If we make an arbitrarily loose definition of Christian, then yeah, everyone counts. For this reason Origen made a distinction between Christians and churchmen, ie, those united to Christ in the Church.
Aggie4Life02
AG
Mormons are polytheistic. Christians are monotheistic.
Van Til
Aggie4Life02 said:

This is what I was taught as well. But the Bible seems to be say that belief in Jesus as God is salvation.

Does "extra" beliefs disqualify salvation? I would think no.

Edit: As a Calvinist I know belief in Jesus is given from the father. The extra stuff is human addition. Does not seem to me able to override God's will.
Athanasius
AG
Christians are those who are baptized in water "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

I do not believe they fall into that category.
DaBaba
Van Til said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

This is what I was taught as well. But the Bible seems to be say that belief in Jesus as God is salvation.

Edit: As a Calvinist I know belief in Jesus is given from the father. The extra stuff is human addition. Does not seem to me able to override God's will.

I'd tell you to ask god but he won't answer.

Do you know or do you just believe that because the people you were brought up around believed that? Ask yourself that question first. I knew the same things you knew until I investigated outside my local group.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Read the Nicene Creed.

Based on the elements of that Creed, I struggle to see how a faithful Mormon is a Christian.
BigLeroy
AG
Do Mormons believe in a created god or an uncreated God?

The God of the bible and of Christianity is the uncreated God. The first and the last. If they believe in a created god, then we don't believe in the same God.
Aggie4Life02
AG
Van Til said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

Mormons also have a different Gospel. It is a gospel of works. Mormons have a different God and a different Gospel.
Aggie4Life02
AG
Aggrad08
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

This is fair from your perspective. But interestingly I've heard Jews say the same thing about Christians.
Zobel
AG
Except Christians are expressly monotheistic, and Mormons are expressly polytheistic. It's not a misunderstanding or disagreement about doctrine.
schmendeler
AG
are jesus and the god the father the same thing?
AgLiving06
k2aggie07 said:

Belief in "Jesus as savior" is an awfully low bar. Paul of Samasota, Marcion, Valentinus, Arius, Sabellius, Pelagius, Novatian, Donatus, Eunomius, Macedonius, Photinus, Apollinaris, Priscillian, Iovinian, Celestius, Nestorius all scoot over this bar.

Exactly.

It also contradicts what Jesus said:

Matthew 7:21-23

Quote:

21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'
Aggrad08
AG
https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Question:_Are_Mormons_polytheists_because_they_don%27t_accept_the_Nicene_Creed%3F

Eh smells similar to me. They deny express polytheism that I've seen. Just like Christian's do when speaking to jews Or Muslims.
Aggie4Life02
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Aggie4Life02 said:

This is fair from your perspective. But interestingly I've heard Jews say the same thing about Christians.

...OK, but Jews are mistaken in that regard about Christian doctrine. It's not a mistake to say that Mormons are polytheistic. Specifically, they are henotheistic, which is a form of polytheism.
AgLiving06
I find it interesting how many non-christians on here have a view as to what should be deemed christian.
schmendeler
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I find it interesting how many non-christians on here have a view as to what should be deemed christian.
it's really interesting. almost like there was a thread started asking for opinions!
DaBaba
AgLiving06 said:

Why is that surprising? Most non-Christians in America were raised in a Christian households.
AgLiving06
schmendeler said:

AgLiving06 said:

it's really interesting. almost like there was a thread started asking for opinions!

You're right. I forgot that the non-Christians on this forum were experts on all things Christian!
AgLiving06
DaBaba said:

AgLiving06 said:

Why is that surprising? Most non-Christians in America were raised in a Christian households.

And?
Zobel
AG
They believe God used to not be God, and that we can become God in essence. That means there is the possibility for more than one God.
schmendeler
AG
AgLiving06 said:

schmendeler said:

AgLiving06 said:

You're right. I forgot that the non-Christians on this forum were experts on all things Christian!

One doesn't need to be a horse to know what a horse is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.