Any Christians here not eat pork?

1,591 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by schmendeler
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For religious reasons, that is? I've met a few folks over the years who've said they don't eat pork. I mistakenly assumed they were either Jewish or Muslim, but turned out they were Christian. And I've noticed, most of the time they at least, they tend to be black.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Seventh Day Adventist don't eat Pork. We partner with their hospitals and I had a breakfast conference at one of them... was all happy with my bfast plate until I bit into the "bacon"... it was turkey bacon, a product conceived in the 7th layer of Hell.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
They're probably part of the contemporary and highly heretical Hebrew Roots Movement.
Win At Life
AG
At least they're probably not part of tha Pagan Roots Christianity movement.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I'm Christian and don't eat pork for religious reasons. What do you want to know?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

I'm Christian and don't eat pork for religious reasons. What do you want to know?

Why?
ramblin_ag02
AG
Long story short, it's part of the way I love God. I think the most important way to love God is to constantly strive to be a better person, but that's pretty abstract. There were some very concrete, very easy ways to worship God laid out in the beginning of the Bible that my goal-oriented brain can handle a little easier than the open-ended "be better".

There also the self-negation. In that I mean giving up something I would otherwise enjoy as a form of worship. Same idea as fasting, celibacy, and charity in a way.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bigtruckguy3500
I've known a couple Seventh Day Adventists. They were all vegan, or at least vegetarian. Which, I guess, would mean they didn't eat pork.
bigtruckguy3500
If you do it for giving up something you'd otherwise enjoy, why pork over beef or chicken? Does it have anything to do with the original Judaic law about not eating pigs because it is unclean?
PacifistAg
AG
We've considered going vegetarian. I don't necessarily have an ethical problem with eating meat, as Christ ate fish, but given that our daughter will cry if we even kill a spider, we also want to respect where she is. I actually love that she has such a heart for God's creation that it affects her like that.

Of course, she's yet to extend that to chicken nuggets, because she doesn't see the chicken before it's turned into a nugget.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Basically. At some point in time God told His people not to eat pork as part of worshipping Him. Even if He later gave permission, there's no reason why abstaining from pork would cease to be a way to worship God.

And I hear you Retired on the vegetarian route. One of my sons is vegetarian for 2 years now. I just can't. It would literally take a direct command from God to make me give up meat.
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

And I hear you Retired on the vegetarian route. One of my sons is vegetarian for 2 years now. I just can't. It would literally take a direct command from God to make me give up meat.
lol Yeah, it would be tough. We basically only eat chicken and turkey, and maybe some pork every now and then, but it would be hard to give up all of it. I think I'm more likely than my wife though.
Frok
AG
Rule #1 for going vegan, make sure you tell everyone that you are vegan.

dermdoc
AG
Frok said:

Rule #1 for going vegan, make sure you tell everyone that you are vegan.

Yep. I laughed.

Edited to add kind of like folks who pump iron.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Seriously. I don't know how y'all go without red meat.... a well cooked piece of beef or venison is almost hard to explain in words.
747Ag
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Seriously. I don't know how y'all go without red meat.... a well cooked piece of beef or venison is almost hard to explain in words.
No red meat makes taco Tuesday not so fun.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
747Ag said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

No red meat makes taco Tuesday not so fun.

To memify your quote:

OnlyForNow
AG
Those discussing the OT usage of "Don't eat pork because swine were dirty animals" also know that their the scapegoat of many many people eating spoiled or undercooked meat and then dying right?

It was much much easier for the tribe elders to say, "ya just don't eat the pigs... cause God commands it" than to try to explain the basic understanding of science they had back then to the masses.
schmendeler
AG
But chickens are totally clean
PacifistAg
AG
schmendeler said:

That's why you fry it. Kills the bacteria. Healthier that way.
schmendeler
AG
RetiredAg said:

schmendeler said:

That's why you fry it. Kills the bacteria. Healthier that way.

I think the batter does something too
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.