What is the reason for the hope that is in you?

1,653 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DirtDiver
Athanasius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
?

This question is asked to ALL. If you are hopeful, at all, then, why?
dermdoc
AG
it Is more than a hope. It is assurance of eternal life through belief in Jesus Christ as my Savior. His blood has washed me clean.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Woody2006
AG
What do you mean by hope here? Hope for the future? Joy?
Athanasius
AG
Woody2006 said:

Hope in the largest sense.
Martin Q. Blank
God is in control. Nothing is an accident. And that he is good, just, righteous, and holy. I'd feel anxious and unhopeful if I didn't believe that. Or just turn on blinders and not think about anything "larger" than me and my immediate surroundings.
dermdoc
AG
Agree
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Grace of God and faith in the resurrection of Christ.
schmendeler
AG
Woody2006 said:

This is a classic evangelical question. Because they think if you don't believe in God then you are living a pointless existence. You have to believe in God to have hope and you need hope to not be crushed by "all this".
dermdoc
AG
I certainly do not think that. I know some very happy atheists.
schmendeler
AG
dermdoc said:

That's been the thinking behind the people I know who have asked that question.
Post removed:
by user
Marco Esquandolas
AG
schmendeler said:

dermdoc said:

That's been the thinking behind the people I know who have asked that question.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Its also derived from a verse 1 Peter 3, and really an important question for Christians to have an answer to imo
94chem
chosen
sealed
Win At Life
AG
Seeing as you're on the R&P board and your thread title is quoting 1 Peter 3:15, I'll answer accordingly. My personal conviction is a bit personal and unique. I wish I could give that away to others, but I can't. Peter is asking us to be prepared to give an answer. The answer I give is that I believe the bible is inspired by YHWH and given without contradictions. It's the latter part of that belief I struggle with for many years until I finally understood the New Testament properly in light of YHWH's Torah.
mesocosm
AG
Athanasius said:

?

This question is asked to ALL. If you are hopeful, at all, then, why?

My bicycle and access to endless routes of country gravel roads
Seriously77

I see Jesus as my only hope to escape this world alive.

Soon!

dermdoc
AG
Amen
Star Wars Memes Only
I am hopeful that my mom's cancer will be cured, and grateful to all the medical staff working on her case and the doctors and scientists who made that hope possible.
Star Wars Memes Only
Also in this moment I am hopeful not because of any phony God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
DirtDiver
I'm am hopeful because I hate my own sin, the sins of others, seeing the consequences of sin on people and in creation and know that God will be faithful to His promises to fix all that is broken. He started the process with the crucifixion, resurrection, and indwelling Spirit 2,000 years ago.

Dargscisyhp - I'm sometimes get confused about exactly where you are as far as the object of your faith but I'm deeply sorry for what your mother is going through. My sister is in her 3rd year of battling cancer, the tumor is encompassing her aorta and as well as caused a fracture in her spine. Last week she was placed on hospice. It's has been a nightmare of a roller coaster of having hope that it's treatable and going through the despair that shes finished fighting via treatment options.

Her faith is in Jesus and this gives us hope and the perspective below in my opinion could not merely originate in the mind of man..

9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. 10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you....18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now. 23 And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body. 24 For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he alreadysees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it.

Our Victory in Christ. 26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should...

Much love and may God choose to heal in a way that Doctors cannot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.