The choice we make now, the results later

2,310 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dermdoc
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is a tough verse and I understand your problem with it. For me, I take the entirety of the Gospel and see love and redemption. But I am no theologian and favor Christian Universalism so what do I know? I do believe that God is merciful and just.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
34 replies and no one has thrown in an "LOL white jebus"?? For shame!
01agtx
AG
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

You believers on here write page after page on your interpretations of the Bible and religious beliefs, unable to agree on what is correct. You are Christian, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, because of where you were born and the religion of your parents.
And yet despite being born to Christian parents just like us, you great sir have overcome this great disadvantage. You have grown past your religious boundaries like countless young Americans in our secular society. You see the objective truth of the world uncolored by your ingrown prejudices and preconceptions, just like all the other independently minded young Americans who've made the same unfettered rational decisions.

If only us religious simpletons could actually open our minds to your enlightened wisdom. Unfortunately, our intelligence and capacity for rational thought is too limited to truly follow in your brave (if well-trodden) path. Stay, teach us, share with us the joy of freethinking wisdom. Even though we cannot aspire to your lofty level, we can at least admire you from below.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
Moral relativism stinks
DaBaba
Everyone is a moral relativist. Objective fact.
dermdoc
AG
So Tom Herman is really normal?
Aggrad08
AG
dermdoc said:

The word hell did not exist when Jesus was around so He said nothing about it. It was invented from the Dutch word hel and the German word holle. Why did the KJV folks invent a new word? Why did they not just translate it as Gehenna unless there was an agenda? And back to the Paul thing, except for a reference in Hebrews, which he may or may not have written, why diid he not stress that in his letters to the churches like modern hellfire and brimstone preacher do?

Not just the word, the very concept is borrowed. They literally use the same words as the Greeks- Hades and Tartarus. The concept of hell is absent until the NT in the bible. It was developed during the intertestament period by certain Jewish sects influenced by Grecian thought.

The Sadducees, who were in Jesus time and before much like we would call the orthodox group didn't believe in any afterlife. No heaven no hell, to them Judaism was a religion of this world not one to come.
dermdoc
AG
Agree that the current concept of Hell and eternal concsious torment are based primarily on Greek and pagan influences.

Are "eternal fires" still burning over Sodom and Gomorrah? Is never ending smoke still coming from Edom? And the wages of sin are death, not Hell, correct?
dermdoc
AG
And as far as the bullhorn threatening of Hell, since there are no examples of this by Paul or any of the Apostles, could you be in trouble for driving people away from the saving grace of Jesus?

Edited to add that I personally do not think so. But it seems prudent to me to model my witness around the way Paul and the Apostles did.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.