The Benedict Option

1,395 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sapper Redux
Seamaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anybody here read it?

I just listened to the first four chapters. He hits the nail on the head about where we're at culturally speaking and how we got here.
Torbush
Sapper Redux
Could someone explain to me how we are more selfish than generations that viewed other humans as personal property (not just slaves but wives and children and servants)? Or those who viewed workers as disposable cogs? Or viewed those of other cultures or religions as less than human and worthy of extermination?
Seamaster
AG
Ah. Ok. So Dr Watson hasn't read it.

Has anybody actually read it?
Torbush
Sapper Redux
Seamaster said:

Ah. Ok. So Dr Watson hasn't read it.

Has anybody actually read it?

I read the available sections. But answer my question. It's pertinent to the argument made in the book.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Dr. Watson said:

Could someone explain to me how we are more selfish than generations that viewed other humans as personal property (not just slaves but wives and children and servants)? Or those who viewed workers as disposable cogs? Or viewed those of other cultures or religions as less than human and worthy of extermination?

Obviously, the difference is that those icky ghey people were only ghey in private.
AgLiving06
Interestingly, had someone come today to give an update on their fight to stop slavery in Uganda. He mentioned a number of 35-40 million people in slavery right now.
AGC
AG
Dr. Watson said:

I've read it in its entirety. Your question makes no sense. You regularly refuse to recognize there are distinct ways of thinking / philosophies (pre-modern, modern, post-modern) that directly impact how we view our world and our ability to shape it. Ironically, your answer is the perfect response for someone who is, per his worldview, the only arbiter of truth; further, it's a complete indication of how that view fails as well. It rejects any notion of empathy and understanding.
canadiaggie
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Interestingly, had someone come today to give an update on their fight to stop slavery in Uganda. He mentioned a number of 35-40 million people in slavery right now.
So pretty much the whole population of the country is enslaved? The population of the country is 41 million lol
AgLiving06
canadiaggie said:

AgLiving06 said:

So pretty much the whole population of the country is enslaved? The population of the country is 41 million lol

No..Sorry I wasn't clear.

He's specifically working on Uganda, however, across the world, there are 35-40 million people in slavery.

Per the UN: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/09/19/report-there-40-million-slaves-worldwide-most-women-and-girls-report-40-million-slaves-worldwide-mos/680632001/

Quote:

A United Nations agency warns 40.3 million people across the globe were subject to some form of modern slavery in 2016. Among them, about 28.7 million or 71% were women or girls forced into sex, marriage or labor.

canadiaggie
AG
AgLiving06 said:

canadiaggie said:

AgLiving06 said:

No..Sorry I wasn't clear.

He's specifically working on Uganda, however, across the world, there are 35-40 million people in slavery.

Per the UN: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/09/19/report-there-40-million-slaves-worldwide-most-women-and-girls-report-40-million-slaves-worldwide-mos/680632001/

Quote:

A United Nations agency warns 40.3 million people across the globe were subject to some form of modern slavery in 2016. Among them, about 28.7 million or 71% were women or girls forced into sex, marriage or labor.

Ah gotcha. That makes more sense.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

I've read it in its entirety. Your question makes no sense. You regularly refuse to recognize there are distinct ways of thinking / philosophies (pre-modern, modern, post-modern) that directly impact how we view our world and our ability to shape it. Ironically, your answer is the perfect response for someone who is, per his worldview, the only arbiter of truth; further, it's a complete indication of how that view fails as well. It rejects any notion of empathy and understanding.

It makes perfect sense. His argument is that Christians need to retreat from the world again because of the selfishness and immorality of a modern society that is "persecuting" Christians. For him, the great fall is in a consumerist market and liberal civil rights. Apparently, there was no need for Christians to retreat from America in 1860. Or in 1950. Or in 1688. But there is now. I don't see that I've claimed to be the "arbiter of truth." I have noticed those claims pop up any time I ask a question certain people don't want to think too deeply about.
Athanasius
AG
I have not read the book, but am a bit aware of the proposition.

It is often countered with the Francis Option- that of getting so far out into the world as to cast off any attachments. Just serve. Few rules, no judging, no in-fighting.

I'm stating that poorly, but you can see the dichotomy-

Benedict- retreat, and wait. Cultivate the garden until mankind is ready to rediscover it.
Francis- push to the periphery not worrying about the center or tomorrow.

I think a fine balance can be struck.

Benedict your children. Cultivate a STRONG understanding of Jesus, the world, and themselves. Slowly Francis them until they give their all.

The Church needs to be like Christ. He retreated when needed, but gave it all.
AGC
AG
Dr. Watson said:

AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

It makes perfect sense. His argument is that Christians need to retreat from the world again because of the selfishness and immorality of a modern society that is "persecuting" Christians. For him, the great fall is in a consumerist market and liberal civil rights. Apparently, there was no need for Christians to retreat from America in 1860. Or in 1950. Or in 1688. But there is now. I don't see that I've claimed to be the "arbiter of truth." I have noticed those claims pop up any time I ask a question certain people don't want to think too deeply about.

That's not his argument.

Your post-modern beliefs are what make you an arbiter; it's a claim inherent to what you believe and how you think. And you have yet to respond and discuss the idea that pre-modern, modern, and post-modern people view morality in entirely different ways and to grapple with how that plays out in applying ones beliefs.
AGC
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Slavery still exists in the modenr US as well. We just call it trafficking. It's what pimps do.
AGC
AG
Seamaster said:

Has anybody here read it?

I just listened to the first four chapters. He hits the nail on the head about where we're at culturally speaking and how we got here.

It's a good read. He has some interesting ideas and hits on a lot of things that we've lost culturally as the church.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

That's not his argument.

Your post-modern beliefs are what make you an arbiter; it's a claim inherent to what you believe and how you think. And you have yet to respond and discuss the idea that pre-modern, modern, and post-modern people view morality in entirely different ways and to grapple with how that plays out in applying ones beliefs.

Why would I discuss an idea that has no merit? You're calling me "postmodern" without defining that term. That might work for Jordan Peterson when lecturing a bunch of people who have never substantively dealt with what structuralism and poststructalism are (better terms, by the way, for getting at what is meant than modern and postmodern), but it doesn't work here. You're obfuscating to avoid the question, which does go right at the heart of his logic.
AGC
AG
Dr. Watson said:

AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

That's not his argument.

Why would I discuss an idea that has no merit? You're calling me "postmodern" without defining that term. That might work for Jordan Peterson when lecturing a bunch of people who have never substantively dealt with what structuralism and poststructalism are (better terms, by the way, for getting at what is meant than modern and postmodern), but it doesn't work here. You're obfuscating to avoid the question, which does go right at the heart of his logic.

Actually they aren't better terms in this case (in my mind, you clearly disagree and that's ok). I'm not obfuscating nearly as much as the guy arguing that I'm not calling him the right thing when addressing his argument (who, by the way, isn't really responding to mine).

You're relying on as hominem attacks to engage the philosophical ideas underpinning his writing. It's somewhat shallow and relies on your own personal understanding of truth and morality rather than some objective standard (which you don't have), nor does it engage with how those people viewed the world and heir ability to change it. Hence I think post modern is an accurate summation of your view.
swimmerbabe11
The author spoke at a conference my church attended. I adored speaking with him. He is hilarious and lovely.
I've read bits of the book. I own it but just haven't gotten to it yet.

His Twitter is pretty funny.
CashMoneyYo
Always a bs response when called out. Always.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

That's not his argument.

Actually they aren't better terms in this case (in my mind, you clearly disagree and that's ok). I'm not obfuscating nearly as much as the guy arguing that I'm not calling him the right thing when addressing his argument (who, by the way, isn't really responding to mine).

You're relying on as hominem attacks to engage the philosophical ideas underpinning his writing. It's somewhat shallow and relies on your own personal understanding of truth and morality rather than some objective standard (which you don't have), nor does it engage with how those people viewed the world and heir ability to change it. Hence I think post modern is an accurate summation of your view.

Postmodern isn't an accurate summation of my views. I'm making a point about the author's subjective judgment on morality and attitudes in society. You have yet to address the substance of my point and instead are trying to belittle my arguments by labeling them something you believe is bad without understanding the term.
DaBaba
You're a saint Watson. You don't deserve to get the sour grapes that are constantly hurled your way. The way you handle all the irrational negativity shows your integrity. Even when I disagree with you, which is quite often, I recognize you make salient points and logical arguments.
AGC
AG
Dr. Watson said:

AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

That's not his argument.

Postmodern isn't an accurate summation of my views. I'm making a point about the author's subjective judgment on morality and attitudes in society. You have yet to address the substance of my point and instead are trying to belittle my arguments by labeling them something you believe is bad without understanding the term.

No single label is a perfect summation of anyone's views. It's an impossible burden. I understand exactly what I'm saying and that it's not just in reference to you but also those you're criticizing via your ad hominem attacks (they were not post modern and would viewit very differently). You seem to think it's all about you (no surprise there though).
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

AGC said:

Dr. Watson said:

That's not his argument.

No single label is a perfect summation of anyone's views. It's an impossible burden. I understand exactly what I'm saying and that it's not just in reference to you but also those you're criticizing via your ad hominem attacks (they were not post modern and would viewit very differently). You seem to think it's all about you (no surprise there though).
I'm asking you to address my point and not use bad labels. You're making it all about me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.