Humanae Vitae

2,061 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggrad08
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Natural vs non-natural means....the intent is the exact same. To engage in conjugal acts while minimizing the risk of procreation. You choose NFP, and good for you. My wife and I chose birth control, up until I had a vasectomy. Good for us. Neither are wrong "means".

Speaking in terms of Christianity I think you would be correct assuming you are married. (Pretty sure the Catholic church disagrees here though)

But I would bet a large percentage if not most of birth control is used to prevent pregnancy from sex outside of marriage. Thus it's making it easier to sin and avoid the responsibility that could possibly generate from that act. Rod Tidwell would call it, "shoplifting the pootie".
jkag89
Not entering the fray because I've read all this in numerous threads on this board in the past but here is a nice article from First Things on the topic on hand -

Affirming and Celebrating Humanae Vitae
by George Weigel
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Aggrad08
AG
Another interesting thing about this subject is I know of no other area where Catholics, even regular church goers so overwhelmingly reject church teaching. I think the weakness of the argument is pretty apparent to people.

https://www.google.com.lb/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSTRE73D4SZ20110414

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2016/09/28/poll-finds-many-us-catholics-breaking-church-over-contraception-abortion-and-lgbt
pants
So what is the sin of birth control, willfully using something artificial to block the creation of life or willfully blocking the creation of life? If the latter, NFP is as sinful as condoms, but if the former, NFP is ok.

Whether you use condoms or NFP, the results of scientific observation are used to reduce the number of children born. If NFP were really following natural laws, you'd have sex whenever you felt like it and had the opportunity. Observing cycles and only having sex when pregnancy is an unlikely result is still willfully blocking life.

I tend to think willfully blocking life is not sinful if you know you can't currently support that life emotionally or financially.
EKUAg
AG
dds08 said:

Dad-O-Lot said:

Today is the 50th anniversary of the publication of this lifesaving and life affirming Papal Encyclical.

Humanae Vitae

Pope Paul VI was truly prophetic in his predictions for what a contraceptive culture would lead to.

Mine is not a popular opinion, but I have come to believe that artificial contraception is one of the greatest evils perpetrated on humanity.

It has lead to a complete disconnect in the minds of most people between sex and child-bearing. It has led to the belief that a pregnancy can be an "accident".

You can't "accidentally" get pregnant unless you can "accidentally" have sex.

Countless children have been able to surmise that if their parents had had their preferences, they would not have been born. Sure, they are happy they are here, love them unconditionally, and would do anything for them; but at some point they heard that they were "an accident".

The society that considers children a problem to be avoided will not last long.

Quote:

Countless children have been able to surmise that if their parents had had their preferences, they would not have been born. Sure, they are happy they are here, love them unconditionally, and would do anything for them; but at some point they heard that they were "an accident".

The society that considers children a problem to be avoided will not last long.

Paul, in 1 Corinthians 7, makes a case for and against marrying altogether.

Here is his case against (with a touch of the pro):

Quote:

7 Now for the matters you wrote about: "It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman." 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.

8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

25 Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give a judgment as one who by the Lord's mercy is trustworthy. 26 Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for a man to remain as he is. 27 Are you pledged to a woman? Do not seek to be released. Are you free from such a commitment? Do not look for a wife. 28 But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned.

What he says here takes the cake:

Quote:

32 I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairshow he can please the Lord. 33 But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this worldhow he can please his wife 34 and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this worldhow she can please her husband. 35 I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.

No marriages, no parents, no kids, no more society.

Besides, from an eternal outlook of things, when we meet Him in heaven, all will be His children, and he will be the only parent; meaning marriage, and parenthood on earth is just temporary. Serving Him is eternal for all his followers.

There is no free lunch either way.

This is the reference that is used for why priests should not marry, not people in general.
Render
AG
pants said:

So what is the sin of birth control, willfully using something artificial to block the creation of life or willfully blocking the creation of life? If the latter, NFP is as sinful as condoms, but if the former, NFP is ok.

Whether you use condoms or NFP, the results of scientific observation are used to reduce the number of children born. If NFP were really following natural laws, you'd have sex whenever you felt like it and had the opportunity. Observing cycles and only having sex when pregnancy is an unlikely result is still willfully blocking life.

I tend to think willfully blocking life is not sinful if you know you can't currently support that life emotionally or financially.

Natural death and assisted suicide are the same thing. I mean, in the end the person is dead, so what difference does it make?
Aggrad08
AG
Please. Natural would be just having sex and seeing what happened.

This is more like the distinction between artificial and organic pesticides.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.