Praying in tongues

1,781 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by handle234
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
anybody here have any thoughts on this spiritual gift?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chuckd
AG
It was an extraordinary gift to validate the Apostles' teachings and not to be expected today. Only the ordinary means of grace.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

It was an extraordinary gift to validate the Apostles' teachings and not to be expected today
Is there anything in the Scriptures that say it's not to be expected today? I honestly don't know, or at least cannot think of any off the top of my head. Paul talks about speaking in tongues to the church at Corinth, and he doesn't seem to imply that it is a "temporary" gift. He lays down some guidance on it (2 or 3, at most and needs to be able to be interpreted), but that seems about it.
dermdoc
AG
That is my thinking also.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wargograw
I would say it was languages in all cases where it was done rightly and was used to validate the Gospel message to the Jews and it has ceased.
Win At Life
AG
Acts 2:1-8

When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a noise like a violent rushing wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared to them tongues as of fire distributing themselves, and they rested on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.

5 Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language. 7 They were amazed and astonished, saying, "Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born?

I'm not saying it necessarily has ceased. But what I can say is that I've never seen or heard anything called "speaking in tongues" in my lifetime that remotely resembles the above. Whatever is being called "speaking in tongues" today is not at all similar to what is described as "speaking in tongues" in Acts 2.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Whatever is being called "speaking in tongues" today is not at all similar to what is described as "speaking in tongues" in Acts 2.
Agreed.
Solo Tetherball Champ
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

It was an extraordinary gift to validate the Apostles' teachings and not to be expected today
Is there anything in the Scriptures that say it's not to be expected today? I honestly don't know, or at least cannot think of any off the top of my head. Paul talks about speaking in tongues to the church at Corinth, and he doesn't seem to imply that it is a "temporary" gift. He lays down some guidance on it (2 or 3, at most and needs to be able to be interpreted), but that seems about it.

The argument that it was a one time thing is much weaker than the argument that it should still be practiced.

Win at Life posted Acts 2, but Paul (who was not present during acts 2) writes about speaking in tongues years after the fact to the church in Corinth. His writings read as if he is instructing the corinthians in the proper practice of something, rather than teaching them a history lesson.
chuckd
AG
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

1 Cor. 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30 have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Gifts are tied to function. The office of apostle, prophet, etc. with their extraordinary gifts were used for a specific purpose in church history. Today the ordinary office of teacher, elder, and deacon are used to minister in ordinary ways. They were either sent immediately or mediately by Christ to minister in his name.
wargograw
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

RetiredAg said:

Quote:

The argument that it was a one time thing is much weaker than the argument that it should still be practiced.

Win at Life posted Acts 2, but Paul (who was not present during acts 2) writes about speaking in tongues years after the fact to the church in Corinth. His writings read as if he is instructing the corinthians in the proper practice of something, rather than teaching them a history lesson.

No one argues it was a one time thing that I'm aware of. It was around during the apostolic age (and not just done by the apostles) but has now ceased as a result of the cannon's closure.

If you view "tongue" (singular) as incoherent babble and "tongues" (plural) as other languages, 1 Corinthians 14 opens up in a huge way.
Solo Tetherball Champ
wargograw said:

Solo Tetherball Champ said:

RetiredAg said:

Quote:

No one argues it was a one time thing that I'm aware of. It was around during the apostolic age (and not just done by the apostles) but has now ceased as a result of the cannon's closure.

If you view "tongue" (singular) as incoherent babble and "tongues" (plural) as other languages, 1 Corinthians 14 opens up in a huge way.

Evidence?
wargograw
Ephesians 2:20 is one of the big go tos. I don't have time to post the full case for cessationism here, but that is the position so there's plenty out there to look at if you so desire.
schmendeler
AG
i think it's people trying to show off in a socially acceptable way.
Duncan Idaho
it is funny, the church i attend most Sundays when i am in Alabama believes in speaking in tongues and are more than happy to do it in small groups, at each other's houses, at "safe" events. but they NEVER due it on sunday's, wednesday night services, sunday school, new member classes, conferences, public events, basically any where that a non-member might attend.

they go way way way out of their way to keep it a well know secret. It is like Mormons and their heresy. They won't talk about, but if you look closely you can see the signs ("we believe in ALL of the fruits of the spirit", "when you are praying and the lord speaks through you") and once you know about it, you can't understand how you ever missed it.

it is sad, I have seen a lot of people question their faith because they don't speak in tongues.
Duncan Idaho
schmendeler said:

i think it's people trying to show off in a socially acceptable way for their small social circle.

FIFY.

To those that believe, this is a true statement. To those that don't, it is seen as lunacy, fraud, or following the crowd.
Athanasius
AG
Dadgum 'ol speakin' in tongues,man.

Texaggie7nine
schmendeler said:

I witnessed it and participated it in often. I will agree that many did it for an outward appearance, but that was never the case for me. I even did it alone when in deep prayer.
7nine
Athanasius
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

schmendeler said:

I witnessed it and participated it in often. I will agree that many did it for an outward appearance, but that was never the case for me. I even did it alone when in deep prayer.
I mean this sincerely- what language were you speaking in?
Texaggie7nine
Athanasius said:

Texaggie7nine said:

schmendeler said:

We called it the language of the soul. Only Jesus and our soul truly knew what was being said.
This is common in most "full gospel" churches.
7nine
dermdoc
AG
So was it the traditional concept of Hell that prompted your disbelief?
Athanasius
AG
dermdoc said:

Wrong thread, doc!!!
Athanasius
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Athanasius said:

Texaggie7nine said:

schmendeler said:

We called it the language of the soul. Only Jesus and our soul truly knew what was being said.
Was that belief from scripture in some way? Where do we see soul language, other than the movie Airplane?

I would assume Angels and more have a near infinite way of communicating, so I'm not totally against the concept, but is this scripturally supported for 'full gospel' churches?
dermdoc
AG
Athanasius said:

dermdoc said:

Wrong thread, doc!!!
Just curious. The more I read the less emphasis I see in the Bible on Hell. And I think some pastors are going to find out they have been misleading their flock.
Texaggie7nine
dermdoc said:

Started it ya. This thread was my first foray into really questioning.

https://texags.com/forums/15/topics/2225848/1
7nine
Texaggie7nine
Athanasius said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Athanasius said:

Texaggie7nine said:

schmendeler said:

Was that belief from scripture in some way? Where do we see soul language, other than the movie Airplane?

I would assume Angels and more have a near infinite way of communicating, so I'm not totally against the concept, but is this scripturally supported for 'full gospel' churches?
1 Corinthians 14:2 King James Version (KJV)

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Mark 16:17 King James Version (KJV)

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

1 Corinthians 13 King James Version (KJV)

13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
7nine
Martin Q. Blank
Texaggie7nine said:

Athanasius said:

Texaggie7nine said:

schmendeler said:

I bet Jesus speaks English too.
Texaggie7nine
It made rational sense at the time. We have human brains contaminated with human thoughts and desires. Who are we to say that we know what our soul needs? If our soul, separate from our human intellect, communicated with Jesus/God, who would know what it would say or ask for?
7nine
tehmackdaddy
AG
I am in no position to tell other Christians their experience with gifts such as speaking in tongues is valid or real (or not), nor am I in a position to know how God works through His people, but I will say observing this gift gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Athanasius
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Athanasius said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Athanasius said:

Texaggie7nine said:

schmendeler said:

1 Corinthians 14:2 King James Version (KJV)

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Mark 16:17 King James Version (KJV)

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

1 Corinthians 13 King James Version (KJV)

13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

GREAT reply. Thanks!
Woody2006
AG
schmendeler
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Athanasius said:

Texaggie7nine said:

schmendeler said:

so... gibberish?
Texaggie7nine
Pretty much.
7nine
BusterAg
AG
I miss read the opportunity as "Partying in tounges"

I don't practice this particular worship device, but I have witnessed it.

Can you mix tongues and bourbon?
Solo Tetherball Champ
tehmackdaddy said:

I am in no position to tell other Christians their experience with gifts such as speaking in tongues is valid or real (or not), nor am I in a position to know how God works through His people, but I will say observing this gift gives me the heebie-jeebies.

My wife will occasionally pray in tongues. She will pray (say, for our sick child) for as long as she can or as much as she knows how in the natural before praying in tongues. This is something that she primarily does privately, rather than in front of me so it is not for show. The first time she did it in front of me it did surprise me.
handle234
I feel like I spent 15+ years trying to make sense of speaking in tounges. I've been entertaining the idea recently that its not a real thing (in that its not a spiritual thing and people are fooling others and themselves).

The only thing holding me back is that there are people who I respect a lot who believe in it. However, as I get older and start to realize that no one really knows what they are doing (in general), its hard to really trust that somehow these people are being filled with the spirit.

At this point, I mostly believe its spiritual mumbo jumbo
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.