Yoga?

9,624 Views | 186 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BlackGoldAg2011
Thaddeus73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yoga - Good or bad?
booboo91
Yoga- the physical -stretching and breathing- very good.

Yoga the spiritual/religion not so much.
agie95
AG
The poses are bad too....it is all bad.
PacifistAg
AG
agie95 said:

So, if I am in a plank position and put my butt up in the air to stretch out my hamstrings, that's bad? Or is it only bad if we call it "downward dog"?
Sapper Redux
Thaddeus73 said:

Yoga - Good or bad?

Good grief. It's meditation. If you don't want the Hindu aspects, find a practitioner who doesn't include the religious mantras.
PacifistAg
AG
agie95 said:

Or what if I lay down flat on the ground to relax? Is that bad? Or is it only bad if we call it "corpse" pose?
Martin Q. Blank
RetiredAg said:

agie95 said:

So, if I am in a plank position and put my butt up in the air to stretch out my hamstrings, that's bad? Or is it only bad if we call it "downward dog"?
If my knees are touching the ground and I stretch out my hands toward the east, that's bad? Or is it only bad if we call that bowing towards Mecca?
PacifistAg
AG
Doing these stretches has been very helpful to me and my surgically-repaired lower back. I understand if one does not want to do them so as to avoid anything related to the spiritual aspect of them, but the stretches themselves are actually very beneficial. I can only speak for myself when I say that all I'm thinking during the stretches is "ow! ow! ow! Oh man this hurts so much. How is a human supposed to bend like this?!"
Star Wars Memes Only
Some of the things you folks fret about are silly.
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

agie95 said:

If my knees are touching the ground and I stretch out my hands toward the east, that's bad? Or is it only bad if we call that bowing towards Mecca?

So you're okay with yoga as long as you aren't praying to Shiva or whomever else?
PacifistAg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

agie95 said:

Like a child's pose? It's not bad if all you're doing is stretching and you just so happen to be doing it in a certain direction. If you're doing it to bow to Mecca, that's a different issue. agie said the poses themselves are bad. That's silly because many of them are just basic stretching poses.
PacifistAg
AG
dargscisyhp said:

Oh, we haven't even discussed the greatest evil, to some, to come from yoga.....yoga pants!
Sapper Redux
dargscisyhp said:

Agie should avoid driving. I hear atheists have cars and drive. He might get led astray.
Martin Q. Blank
RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

agie95 said:

Like a child's pose? It's not bad if all you're doing is stretching and you just so happen to be doing it in a certain direction. If you're doing it to bow to Mecca, that's a different issue. agie said the poses themselves are bad. That's silly because many of them are just basic stretching poses.
I like to call this particular position "bowing towards Mecca." But it's just a harmless stretch. No religious undertones.
Solo Tetherball Champ
RetiredAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Oh, we haven't even discussed the greatest evil, to some, to come from yoga.....yoga pants!

Yoga pants are only bad when worn by the unelect fatties.
PacifistAg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

agie95 said:

I like to call this particular position "bowing towards Mecca." But it's just a harmless stretch. No religious undertones.
So this is "bowing to Mecca"?

What if you aren't pointing to Mecca? In your scenario, are you purposely directed at Mecca? If so, that could be an issue. I point towards the tv, because that's where P90X is.
PacifistAg
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

RetiredAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Yoga pants are only bad when worn by the unelect undeserving.
But pajama pants are always good.
Martin Q. Blank
RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

agie95 said:

What if you aren't pointing to Mecca? In your scenario, are you purposely directed at Mecca? If so, that could be an issue. I point towards the tv, because that's where P90X is.
Pointing toward Mecca is part of the stretch. Why is it an issue?
Solo Tetherball Champ
RetiredAg said:

Solo Tetherball Champ said:

RetiredAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Yoga pants are only bad when worn by the unelect undeserving.
But pajama pants are always good.

PacifistAg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

agie95 said:

No, pointing towards Mecca is not a part of child's pose. If you have added a requirement, such as pointing to Mecca, then yes, there could be problem. The problem, though, is with you and the addition you made. It's not the pose itself that's the problem, but you.
PacifistAg
AG
If it makes you feel better, all of my efforts at work to replace "causal Friday" with "pajama pants Friday" have been entirely unsuccessful.
Solo Tetherball Champ
RetiredAg said:

If it makes you feel better, all of my efforts at work to replace "causal Friday" with "pajama pants Friday" have been entirely unsuccessful.
So there are limits on the power of HR?

To be fair, I am working in athletic shorts and the shirt I slept in. I work 100% remotely, with the option of coming into an office if I want to wear pants.
Martin Q. Blank
RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

agie95 said:

No, pointing towards Mecca is not a part of child's pose. If you have added a requirement, such as pointing to Mecca, then yes, there could be problem. The problem, though, is with you and the addition you made. It's not the pose itself that's the problem, but you.
So putting your knees on the ground and stretching out your hands in a particular direction is a sin?
PacifistAg
AG
Bottom line is that if you feel doing yoga, or stretching using poses typically associated with yoga, is a stumbling block in your walk with Christ, then don't do it. If you are able to do it without any issue or getting into the Hindu spiritual aspect, then fine. If you're unable to separate the spiritual from the stretch, then avoid it.
PacifistAg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

agie95 said:

So putting your knees on the ground and stretching out your hands in a particular direction is a sin?
Man, I forgot how exhausting you are in your trolling.

No, it comes down to the heart. It comes down to the motive behind it. If you're unable to do child's pose without adding things to it, such as pointing towards Mecca, then don't do it. Are you doing the stretch because your lower back hurts and you need to stretch it out, or are you doing it to pray toward Mecca? Same general position, but entirely different motives. Goodness. You know this, but I forgot that this is what you do.
Martin Q. Blank
RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

agie95 said:

Man, I forgot how exhausting you are in your trolling.

No, it comes down to the heart. It comes down to the motive behind it. If you're unable to do child's pose without adding things to it, such as pointing towards Mecca, then don't do it. Are you doing the stretch because your lower back hurts and you need to stretch it out, or are you doing it to pray toward Mecca? Same general position, but entirely different motives. Goodness. You know this, but I forgot that this is what you do.
My heart is good and only doing what the stretch requires, not for religious reasons. Why do you have a problem with doing it in a particular direction?
PacifistAg
AG
Okay. Just so you're aware, direction has nothing to do with child's pose, so you're free to do it in any direction. Not sure why you feel the need to point towards Mecca, but that's you being you I guess.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
mqb points his peen towards Rome when takes his morning piss.
kurt vonnegut
AG
agie95 said:

Strongly disagree. . . .

Woody2006
AG
My parents used to tell me I could catch demons by doing yoga
Athanasius
AG
Is Yoga that thing where we go and move around in weird positions and try not to fart?
Martin Q. Blank
RetiredAg said:

Okay. Just so you're aware, direction has nothing to do with child's pose, so you're free to do it in any direction. Not sure why you feel the need to point towards Mecca, but that's you being you I guess.
I'm not talking about child's pose, but bowing towards Mecca. It's a great stretch.
PacifistAg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

RetiredAg said:

I'm not talking about child's pose, but bowing towards Mecca. It's a great stretch.
Okay, so you may want to start a new thread. This thread is about yoga, not whatever it is you're doing. In yoga, we do child's pose, which I guess is similar to whatever you're doing towards Mecca. Of course, when my wife and I do it, the intent is to stretch and relax after a good workout. I'm not sure what your intent is in bowing to Mecca, so that may require some introspection on your part.
PacifistAg
AG
Athanasius said:

Is Yoga that thing where we go and move around in weird positions and try not to fart?
Solo Tetherball Champ
dargscisyhp said:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.