The Ark Encounter in Kentucky

3,611 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sapper Redux
Thaddeus73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went to the Ark Encounter in Kentucky last month while on vacation. I was in total awe of the size of it. But I don't think I'm buying into the baby dinosaurs in the cages inside...

Macarthur
I know they used private $, but every time I see that, I can't help but think that a lot of good could have been done with all that $.

Maybe food and clothes for the poor...maybe what Jesus would have done.

Oh, and I wonder if they're paying any property taxes.
Thaddeus73
AG
I'll bet there were 10,000 people there the Saturday I went. And at $50 a pop...
Post removed:
by user
Frok
AG
Macarthur said:

I know they used private $, but every time I see that, I can't help but think that a lot of good could have been done with all that $.

There was a dispute over that a couple years ago I believe. Some politician promised them benefits like tax exemption and it made a bunch of people mad.

However it's no different then cities rolling out the red carpet for corporations or sports teams.
wargograw
Macarthur said:

It's an evangelistic and apologetic tool. Christians can walk and chew gum.

I'm going to assume you didn't get your handle from John.
Macarthur
Frok said:

Macarthur said:

There was a dispute over that a couple years ago I believe. Some politician promised them benefits like tax exemption and it made a bunch of people mad.

However it's no different then cities rolling out the red carpet for corporations or sports teams.
Yeah, it's not the same.
schmendeler
AG
Frok said:

Macarthur said:

How about a park to celebrate Mohammed going into the mountains? Same thing?
Frok
AG
If the city found it beneficial and wanted he business then yes. But I doubt you'll find any lining up for that.
Sapper Redux
wargograw said:

Macarthur said:

It's an evangelistic and apologetic tool. Christians can walk and chew gum.

I'm going to assume you didn't get your handle from John.
So you don't think that's a waste compared to charity? I mean, it's promoting a VERY specific view of Genesis and life on Earth that the vast majority of Christians disagree with and is more a joke than an "apologetic tool." Seems like crappy gum.
dermdoc
AG
I do not believe the vast majority of Christians disagree with the concept of the flood and Noah.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sapper Redux
dermdoc said:

I do not believe the vast majority of Christians disagree with the concept of the flood and Noah.
I'm thinking of the Ken Hamm presentation of a literal 6 day creation with a global flood and Dinosaurs on a boat.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Quote:

Dinosaurs on a boat.

Jurassic World 3? Can we bring back Samuel L. Jackson?
wargograw
Agree with dermdoc. Certainly the vast majority of evangelicals (of which Ken Ham is a part) do believe in it.
PacifistAg
AG
wargograw said:

Agree with dermdoc. Certainly the vast majority of evangelicals (of which Ken Ham is a part) do believe in it.
I was curious and did some googling. I couldn't find anything on the flood/Noah, but according to a recent Gallup survey, only 50% of Protestants hold YEC views. And the National Association of Evangelicals found that 90% of evangelical leaders believe it's okay to have different views on creation, just as long as one holds that God is the creator of the universe.
wargograw
RetiredAg said:

wargograw said:

I was curious and did some googling. I couldn't find anything on the flood/Noah, but according to a recent Gallup survey, only 50% of Protestants hold YEC views. And the National Association of Evangelicals found that 90% of evangelical leaders believe it's okay to have different views on creation, just as long as one holds that God is the creator of the universe.

That sounds about right.
PacifistAg
AG
Ah, okay. So your "vast majority of evangelicals" statement was regarding belief in Noah and the flood, but not necessarily Hamm's views on YEC?
kurt vonnegut
AG
RetiredAg said:

. . .but according to a recent Gallup survey, an astounding 50% of Protestants still somehow hold YEC views.

fify
wargograw
RetiredAg said:

Ah, okay. So your "vast majority of evangelicals" statement was regarding belief in Noah and the flood, but not necessarily Hamm's views on YEC?

No I still think it would be the case with YEC as well. What you posted was just "leaders" saying it's not heretical to believe something else, not that they thought that themselves. I'm open to other info though.
PacifistAg
AG
wargograw said:

RetiredAg said:

No I still think it would be the case with YEC as well. What you posted was just "leaders" saying it's not heretical to believe something else, not that they thought that themselves. I'm open to other info though.
Well, you made the claim that the "vast majority of evangelicals" support Hamm's views. Do you have anything to support that? All I was able to find was a survey that showed only 50% of Protestants (which includes evangelicals) support YEC. Having grown up in the Baptist world, it doesn't surprise me that a majority would support it, but I think it's a stretch to say "vast majority".

I attend a Church of Christ, and while we don't even discuss about the subject, knowing the people here, I'd be surprised if even half our church held to YEC views.
wargograw
Protestant=/=evangelical
PacifistAg
AG
wargograw said:

Protestant=/=evangelical
Which is why I said evangelicals are part of the 50% of Protestants that are YEC. Obviously not all Protestants are evangelicals. Again, do you have any data to support the claim that the "vast majority" of evangelicals are young earth creationists? You may be right, but I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe it's a "vast majority".
Aggrad08
AG
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me, Baptist tend to hate science more than they hate dancing and Catholics.
Amazing Moves
It would be funny if Talk Origins built the Museum of Reason right next to it. Need to create some confliction in these Ark tourists.
Aggrad08
AG
We have museums of reason, they are called natural history museums.
Aggie4Life02
AG
Macarthur said:

Taxation is theft. HTH.
Amazing Moves
Aggrad08 said:

We have museums of reason, they are called natural history museums.
Yep. Put one of those next to it. Whatever it takes to apply pressure to this farce.
Sapper Redux
Aggie4Life02 said:

Macarthur said:

Taxation is theft. HTH.

No it's not. HTH.
Post removed:
by user
Sapper Redux
AstroAg17 said:

Why not?

Rights are protected in a society. That society requires input from all members to properly function and avoid free rider problems. Taxation is the method of funding that society. It is not theft in a government that respects rights.
ro828
Something I can't find online (not that I searched that hard) is how business is going for Ark Encounter. One person posted about there being "10,000" people there. Sometimes people post pictures of an almost empty parking lot.
wargograw
RetiredAg said:

wargograw said:

Protestant=/=evangelical
Which is why I said evangelicals are part of the 50% of Protestants that are YEC. Obviously not all Protestants are evangelicals. Again, do you have any data to support the claim that the "vast majority" of evangelicals are young earth creationists? You may be right, but I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe it's a "vast majority".

Because the most fundamental part of being an evangelical is believing what the Bible says...
dermdoc
AG
And all this time I thought it meant to evangelize, spread the Good News. So maybe they should be called inerranticals?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
wargograw said:

RetiredAg said:

wargograw said:

Protestant=/=evangelical

Because the most fundamental part of being an evangelical is believing what the Bible says...

I'm not sure how that addresses my question. And which Christians here don't believe what the bible says? I know I do. Or are you talking about a flat & superficial interpretation of what the bible says?

But, again, do you have any data to support your claim? I think it's clear that a majority of Christians don't hold YEC views. And if you believe in YEC, that's fine. But the same is true for us old earthers, and it doesn't mean we don't believe the bible.
wargograw
dermdoc said:

And all this time I thought it meant to evangelize, spread the Good News. So maybe they should be called inerranticals?

May be a new direction!

But Catholics evangelize. I don't argue that. But I'd strongly argue against them being evangelicals.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.