Radical Christians & the Word of God (part 1 of 3): Authority

10,090 Views | 252 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Zobel
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Radical Christians & the Word of God (part 1 of 3): Authority

Quote:

We believe in the authoritative, infallible, inerrant Word of God - and his name is Jesus.
Quote:

But remember, as Christians, no written document is our absolute authority Jesus is! Because the Bible is uniquely breathed out by God we trust it and use it, as Paul recommends in 2 Timothy 3:16. So yes, as far as written documents go, the Bible is authoritative as far as written documents go. But we have a relationship with more than a written document. No written document, including the Bible itself, created the heavens and the earth and entered into our human condition and lived the perfect life and died the loving death that brought us salvation, and rose again as Lord of our lives. The Bible says, "Jesus is Lord" (Romans 10:9).

The Bible does not give us Jesus; Jesus gives us the Bible; and the Bible then points us directly to Jesus. The Bible is not a Christian's ultimate authority, but our penultimate authority, pointing to Jesus as our ultimate authority.

Quote:

This relationship between Jesus and the Bible is similar to the relationship between Jesus and the star that led the magi to Jesus. Or, to use another analogy, the relationship between Jesus and the Bible is similar to the relationship between Jesus and John the Baptist. When John the Baptist saw Jesus, he pointed and cried out
Quote:

Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' (John 1:29-30)
John didn't give us Jesus; Jesus gave us John, and then John pointed people to Jesus. Again we read
Quote:

The next day John was there again with two of his disciples. When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, "Look, the Lamb of God!" When the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus. (John 1:35-37)
Because John's disciples listened to him and followed Jesus, this doesn't mean they saw John's authority as absolute. They simply trusted John enough to listen to his insight and turn to follow Jesus as their absolute authority. Because they trusted John, they submitted to Jesus. And that's what we do every time we read the Bible and follow Jesus.
wargograw
The Bible speaks much more highly about itself than this article does. Yes, Jesus is Lord. How do you submit to his lordship? That's right, letting him speak to you, in the Bible....
PacifistAg
AG
wargograw said:

The Bible speaks much more highly about itself than this article does. Yes, Jesus is Lord. How do you submit to his lordship? That's right, letting him speak to you, in the Bible....
The problem is that just being "biblical" doesn't make it "Christ-like". Christ is the Word of God. He is the Word made flesh. It was God who said, with Moses (Law) and Elijah (Prophets) present, "this is My Son...listen to Him!" The bible, like John the Baptist or the Bethlehem star, points to Christ, but aren't on the level of Christ. As the article points out, the Scriptures are authoritative...as far as written documents go, but our standard isn't the Bible. It's Jesus.

This is one of my main objections to sola scriptura (other than the fact that such a principal is found nowhere in the bible). It seems to make the bible the standard, or at least on par with Christ. None of this means we downgrade the Scriptures. They are immensely important and valuable, as they point to Christ, just as John the Baptist did. But Christ is above all.
wargograw
RetiredAg said:

wargograw said:

The problem is that just being "biblical" doesn't make it "Christ-like". Christ is the Word of God. He is the Word made flesh. It was God who said, with Moses (Law) and Elijah (Prophets) present, "this is My Son...listen to Him!" The bible, like John the Baptist or the Bethlehem star, points to Christ, but aren't on the level of Christ. As the article points out, the Scriptures are authoritative...as far as written documents go, but our standard isn't the Bible. It's Jesus.

This is one of my main objections to sola scriptura (other than the fact that such a principal is found nowhere in the bible). It seems to make the bible the standard, or at least on par with Christ.

Just being biblical doesn't make it Christ-like? Why not?

There's zero disagreement between Christ and the Bible so your distinction is kind of irrelevant. And again, please tell me how you "listen to" Jesus without the Bible?

I'm gonna assume you're catholic so it's off that you lament people putting the Bible on par with Christ but you're ok substituting what, the Church? Your intuition? Dreams and visions? However unreliable you think the Bible is (and it's wrong to say it's merely authoritative "as far as written documents go" as if there's some flaw), it is much more reliable than whatever other method you have for discerning Christ's will for your life.

"you have exalted above all things your name and your word."
Psalm 138:2
wargograw
Didn't see your edit until now. Sorry to break it to you sir but you severely "downgrade the Scriptures."
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Just being biblical doesn't make it Christ-like? Why not?
Because many evil things can be considered "biblical". Slavery and genocide can be considered "biblical". They certainly aren't Christ-like. Dashing children against the rocks can be called "biblical". It certainly isn't Christ-like.

Quote:

There's zero disagreement between Christ and the Bible so your distinction is kind of irrelevant. And again, please tell me how you "listen to" Jesus without the Bible?
"You have heard it said....but I say...." Of course there are contradictions. Christ pointed that out in His Sermon on the Mount. Nobody is saying that the Scriptures aren't important. They aren't Christ. Christ is the Word, not these written texts. The written texts, just like John the Baptist, point to Christ. Why? Because as God said at the Transfiguration, we are to listen to the Son.

Quote:

I'm gonna assume you're catholic so it's off that you lament people putting the Bible on par with Christ but you're ok substituting what, the Church? Your intuition? Dreams and visions? However unreliable you think the Bible is (and it's wrong to say it's merely authoritative "as far as written documents go" as if there's some flaw), it is much more reliable than whatever other method you have for discerning Christ's will for your life.
Well, you know what they say about assuming? No, I'm not catholic. I also don't hold to the fallacy of sola scriptura.

Quote:

"you have exalted above all things your name and your word."
Psalm 138:2
Jesus is the Word. (John 1:1, 14) The Word existed long before the scriptures. The Word has always existed. The scriptures, like John the Baptist, testify to the Word.
PacifistAg
AG
wargograw said:

Didn't see your edit until now. Sorry to break it to you sir but you severely "downgrade the Scriptures."
This couldn't be more wrong. Simply because I don't put them on the same level as the Word made flesh, doesn't mean I severely "downgrade the scriptures". At the transfiguration, even God held Christ above the scriptures.

I read the scriptures every day. Why? Because they are immensely valuable, as they point to the Word.
wargograw
It's pretty obvious that when people talk about being biblical they're referring to doctrine the Bible teaches as true or about commands given to us today. Most of those come from Christ and his apostles. So no issue there.

Say, where'd you get those quotes of Jesus???

The sermon on the mount is a bad example. Jesus was saying the 10 commandments were matters of the heart. That's not incongruent with the OT in any way. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart...." -Deuteronomy. There was no contradiction.

Great. You're not catholic. So then answer the question I asked.

The Psalmist routinely uses the words "your law" and "your word" interchangeably.
wargograw
RetiredAg said:

wargograw said:

This couldn't be more wrong. Simply because I don't put them on the same level as the Word made flesh, doesn't mean I severely "downgrade the scriptures". At the transfiguration, even God held Christ above the scriptures.

I read the scriptures every day. Why? Because they are immensely valuable, as they point to the Word.

When you use the language you do about the Bible, you downgrade it. Simple as that.
PacifistAg
AG
wargograw said:

RetiredAg said:

wargograw said:

When you use the language you do about the Bible, you downgrade it. Simple as that.
No, I really don't. You're entitled to such an opinion about a complete stranger, but I can assure you it's simply not true.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

It's pretty obvious that when people talk about being biblical they're referring to doctrine the Bible teaches as true or about commands given to us today. Most of those come from Christ and his apostles. So no issue there.
Actually, there is an issue. Much evil has been endorsed by Christians throughout history by pointing to biblical texts (typically in the OT). They'll claim "see! It's biblical!". We saw that with American Christians defense of slavery, or German Christians support of the Nazi regime. Those, of course, look nothing like Christ.
Quote:

Say, where'd you get those quotes of Jesus???
Which quotes?

Quote:

The sermon on the mount is a bad example. Jesus was saying the 10 commandments were matters of the heart. That's not incongruent with the OT in any way. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart...." -Deuteronomy. There was no contradiction.
Not a bad example at all. Here, I'll take the easiest one: "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you". He's directly countering a previous teaching. He's going from "hate your enemy" to "love your enemy".

Quote:

Great. You're not catholic. So then answer the question I asked.
What question? How do I listen to Jesus without the Bible? Well, the scriptures are immensely important because they point to Christ. I'm not saying we reject the scriptures, but the Scriptures must be read through the lens of Christ, not the other way around. We also have the Spirit to guide us.

Quote:

The Psalmist routinely uses the words "your law" and "your word" interchangeably.
And we see when Christ comes, that He is the Word. He is the Word made flesh. OT writers also claimed that God commanded genocide and infanticide, despite what we learn later of God's nature as exactly revealed to us in Christ.
Athanasius
AG
Acts 8:27-39 New International Version (NIV)

27 So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of the Kandake (which means "queen of the Ethiopians"). This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship, 28 and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the Book of Isaiah the prophet. 29 The Spirit told Philip, "Go to that chariot and stay near it."

30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. "Do you understand what you are reading?" Philip asked.

31 "How can I," he said, "unless someone explains it to me?" So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

32 This is the passage of Scripture the eunuch was reading:

"He was led like a sheep to the slaughter,
and as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
33 In his humiliation he was deprived of justice.
Who can speak of his descendants?
For his life was taken from the earth."

34 The eunuch asked Philip, "Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?" 35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. What can stand in the way of my being baptized?" [37] [c] 38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.
A great example of the scriptures pointing to Jesus. It makes me think of Christ walking with the two disciples on the road to Emmaus:

Quote:

Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.
This is why the scriptures are so important. They point us to Jesus, the Word made flesh. We need the scriptures. We need tradition. We need the John the Baptist's and Bethlehem star. We need these because they point us to the point of it all....Jesus Christ.
wargograw
Just because people did unbiblical things and wrongly called them biblical does not mean there's a difference between being Christlike and being biblical.

I was referring to the quotes from the Sermon on the Mount. That's from the Bible, even though you somehow think we can follow Christ without the Bible.

-

As for "you shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy." Love your neighbor does come from levitical law. Hate your enemy was Jesus addressing the misapplication of that law by the scribes and Pharisees. The law from which Jesus was quoting simply does not include "hate your enemy," so this is obvious.

Is someone advocating for reading the Word with any lens other than Christ? Who are they?

So you're a Marcionite. Should have detected this sooner seeing as how I just listened to a Brian Zahnd debate the other day. Lesson learned.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

I was referring to the quotes from the Sermon on the Mount. That's from the Bible, even though you somehow think we can follow Christ without the Bible.
Oh okay. So you're going to misrepresent my position? Got it.

Quote:

So you're a Marcionite. Should have detected this sooner seeing as how I just listened to a Brian Zahnd debate the other day. Lesson learned.
Nope. Not a Marcionite. I don't reject the OT. You love making false assumptions about those you disagree with, don't you? If you can't discuss issues in a respectful, honest way and refrain from applying incorrect and inflammatory labels, then there's no point in continuing.
wargograw
To say that there is any distinction between following the Bible and following Christ is to suggest what I said you did. And to have as low a view of the Bible as you do is to render it almost useless.

I guess you're not going to address the fact that you were wrong about Jesus contradicting the OT in the Sermon on the Mount.

Nor are you going to tell me who's advocating reading the Bible without a christocentric lens.

I call you a Marcionite because you think the things God said and did in the OT are inconsistent with the character of Jesus, even though they're not. We do read the Bible through a Christo-centric lens. We do NOT scrap whole parts of the OT because we think they're wrong. Does the "wrath of the lamb" bother you too? Propitiation? Christ coming back in flaming fire to judge the earth?
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

To say that there is any distinction between following the Bible and following Christ is to suggest what I said you did. And to have as low a view of the Bible as you do is to render it almost useless.
False. I don't have a low view of scripture. Holding Christ above all does not mean I have a low view of scripture.

Quote:

I guess you're not going to address the fact that you were wrong about Jesus contradicting the OT in the Sermon on the Mount.
You use "fact" too loosely.

Quote:

Nor are you going to tell me who's advocating reading the Bible without a christocentric lens.
When you hold up passages that look nothing like Christ as being equal to the revelation of God in Christ, then you are not reading with a Christocentric lens.

Quote:

I call you a Marcionite because you think the things God said and did in the OT are inconsistent with the character of Jesus, even though they're not. We do read the Bible through a Christo-centric lens. We do NOT scrap whole parts of the OT because we think they're wrong. Does the "wrath of the lamb" bother you too? Propitiation? Christ coming back in flaming fire to judge the earth?
Nor do I scrap any part of the OT. I read it through the exact revelation of God's nature through Christ. That means that when there's a text that contradicts that, such as the belief that God commanded infanticide or genocide, then we must dig deeper to find how it does point to Christ. We learn in Christ that God would never command infanticide. It would be incompatible with who Christ revealed the Father to be. I do not reject any of the OT, so your labeling me a "Marcionite" is simply false, and to persist in such an accusation would be to bear false witness against a brother. I believe all scripture is God-breathed, not God-dictated. When there's something that doesn't look like Christ, the exact representation of God's nature, then we must reevaluate and seek to interpret it in a way that points to Christ. That's not Marcionism. It's reading the scriptures through the lens of Christ. The OT is a shadow that gives us an idea of who God is, but it is Christ alone that is the exact revelation of who God is. We don't toss out any of the OT, we just interpret it differently because we have the hermeneutic key that OT authors didn't. We have Christ to read it through.

But you have yet to show that you're willing to discuss this without resorting to baseless accusations and misrepresenting opposing positions. When you show that you're willing to discuss this respectfully and without the distortions and false labels, then we'll continue. Until then, peace to you, brother.
wargograw
You just walked into my point. You use the Gospels (part of the Bible) to determine what Jesus is like, then rewrite the rest of the Bible based on that. You can't do that, ESPECIALLY if your determination of Jesus' character rejects any notion of his wrath (and you, as is becoming a trend, decided not to answer any of my questions to that end) or an other attribute that makes you uncomfortable. You pick and choose the parts of the Bible you'll use to determine a hermeneutic to use on the rest of it. That's why o say you reject the Bible. That's not a mischaracterization at all. You have to let the book speak for itself.

Here's another question to ignore: how do you know which parts of the Bible reveal Jesus' character and which don't?
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

But you have yet to show that you're willing to discuss this without resorting to baseless accusations and misrepresenting opposing positions. When you show that you're willing to discuss this respectfully and without the distortions and false labels, then we'll continue. Until then, peace to you, brother.
I have no issue answering your questions, but I'm tired of getting into mudslinging "debates" here where positions are misrepresented and baseless accusations leveled. If you will cease that, then I'd be glad to answer your questions.
wargograw
Ok. Even though you're lifting their arguments, I'll take you at your word that you're not a Marcionite or catholic. I did just prove that saying you disregard the Bible wasn't a mischaracterization at all though. Hope you can discuss now.

Solo Tetherball Champ
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

I have no issue answering your questions, but I'm tired of getting into mudslinging "debates" here where positions are misrepresented and baseless accusations leveled. If you will cease that, then I'd be glad to answer your questions.

Speaking as an observer: You have been very defensive here, much more than is warranted by his tone.

Admittedly, pointed questions and criticisms make most people defensive but I don't see him doing anything that resembles "mudslinging". The closest thing that comes to mind is labelling you a marcionite but in fairness your theology does appear to have some superficial similarities to that position.
PacifistAg
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Speaking as an observer: You have been very defensive here, much more than is warranted by his tone.

Admittedly, pointed questions and criticisms make most people defensive but I don't see him doing anything that resembles "mudslinging". The closest thing that comes to mind is labelling you a marcionite which your theology does appear to have some superficial similarities to.

He's accused me of a low view of scripture, of being a Marcionite, of being Catholic, and has repeatedly misrepresented my position. I do get defensive about such things because they 1) don't contribute to the discussion 2) are purposely inflammatory and 3) serve to only label and dismiss.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

I did just prove that saying you disregard the Bible wasn't a mischaracterization at all though.
No, you didn't. I absolutely don't disregard the Bible. Again, this is a blatant mischaracterization. There's not a single verse that I "disregard". I may understand a verse differently based on reading it through a cruciform lens, but I don't "disregard".

Also, I'm not "lifting" the arguments of Marcionites. At no time have I ever said we are to reject a single verse of the OT. Recognizing that we have the hermeneutic key to understanding the OT, and reading it through that lens, is not anywhere close to rejecting any of the OT.
Solo Tetherball Champ
RetiredAg said:

Solo Tetherball Champ said:

RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Admittedly, pointed questions and criticisms make most people defensive but I don't see him doing anything that resembles "mudslinging". The closest thing that comes to mind is labelling you a marcionite which your theology does appear to have some superficial similarities to.

He's accused me of a low view of scripture, of being a Marcionite, of being Catholic, and has repeatedly misrepresented my position. I do get defensive about such things because they 1) don't contribute to the discussion 2) are purposely inflammatory and 3) serve to only label and dismiss.
He accused you of being a catholic? The Horror! That baptist fundamentalist upbringing must be rearing its ugly head again if you're upset that he thought you were a catholic!

While I haven't been active here in the past few months, I don't recognize this poster. He, not knowing you as well as I do (you pajama wearing hippy), asked if you were catholic when you said something to the effect of "The bible isn't authoritative" because a catholic would say something similar because they include tradition as well, unlike protestants, which you very well know.

Now, I don't see him misrepresenting your position anymore than you misrepresent my position (let's not go down that road - save it for another time) or any of our sects misrepresenting each other.

If you're offended at him calling you a Marcionite, well, you do share some superficial similarities with that theology. Accept that. Deal with it and prove him incorrect.

Honestly, he has been far less inflammatory than you and I have been toward each other in our previous theological exchange.

Anyways, carry on.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

He accused you of being a catholic? The Horror! That baptist fundamentalist upbringing must be rearing its ugly head again if you're upset that he thought you were a catholic!
It's not that I think "catholic" is an insult. It's that it's attempting to label me and thereby dismiss what I'm saying.

Quote:

While I haven't been active here in the past few months, I don't recognize this poster. He, not knowing you as well as I do (you pajama wearing hippy), asked if you were catholic when you said something to the effect of "The bible isn't authoritative" because a catholic would say something similar because they include tradition as well, unlike protestants, which you very well know.
I didn't say the Bible isn't authoritative. I echoed the Anabaptist author and said that Jesus is the authoritative Word of God, and the Bible is "authoritative, as far as written documents go". All scripture points to Christ, but it is Christ who is the exact revelation of God. Christ is the Word, not the bible.

Quote:

If you're offended at him calling you a Marcionite, well, you do share some superficial similarities with that theology. Accept that. Deal with it and prove him incorrect.
There's only "similarities" if you don't listen to what is being said and operate on assumption. I've never once argued to reject any of the Scripture.

Quote:

Honestly, he has been far less inflammatory than you and I have been toward each other in our previous theological exchange.
True, but I'm tired of all inflammatory exchanges. I want that to stop, and I recognize that I have played a role in that. That's why I cut off dialogue when it's like that. It does not lift anyone up, and does not glorify God for us to sit here and bicker at each other and misrepresent the other's position. I'm trying to avoid that.
Solo Tetherball Champ

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
It's not that I think "catholic" is an insult. It's that it's attempting to label me and thereby dismiss what I'm saying.
I read it as a guy who does not know you and is trying to understand where you are coming from, less a method to categorize you and then dismiss or marginalize you.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I didn't say the Bible isn't authoritative. I echoed the Anabaptist author and said that Jesus is theauthoritative Word of God, and the Bible is "authoritative, as far as written documents go". All scripture points to Christ, but it is Christ who is the exact revelation of God. Christ is the Word, not the bible.
I'm not having this discussion with you; Wargograw is.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
There's only "similarities" if you don't listen to what is being said and operate on assumption. I've never once argued to reject any of the Scripture.
True, you never argue "reject" any of it, but you always seek ways to explain issues that undermine your theology of an always peaceful, non-violent God and that is ok.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
True, but I'm tired of all inflammatory exchanges. I want that to stop, and I recognize that I have played a role in that. That's why I cut off dialogue when it's like that. It does not lift anyone up, and does not glorify God for us to sit here and bicker at each other and misrepresent the other's position. I'm trying to avoid that.
Your theology is controversial. Accept it, and deal with it. That may mean having to explain it and correct misunderstandings or misrepresentations (deliberate or not), especially since you like to post excerpts and illustrations.

My theology is controversial. I accept it, and I deal with it. Granted, I don't post articles or sermons of pastors/authors I follow so I don't often put myself in the position of needing to defend it.
wargograw
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

I did just prove that saying you disregard the Bible wasn't a mischaracterization at all though.
No, you didn't. I absolutely don't disregard the Bible. Again, this is a blatant mischaracterization. There's not a single verse that I "disregard". I may understand a verse differently based on reading it through a cruciform lens, but I don't "disregard".

Also, I'm not "lifting" the arguments of Marcionites. At no time have I ever said we are to reject a single verse of the OT. Recognizing that we have the hermeneutic key to understanding the OT, and reading it through that lens, is not anywhere close to rejecting any of the OT.

Dude. I just want answers to the questions I'm asking. You're majoring on all the minors I post while you leave massive mozza balls hanging. Focus here.
tehmackdaddy
AG
RetiredAg said:

This is one of my main objections to sola scriptura (other than the fact that such a principal is found nowhere in the bible). It seems to make the bible the standard, or at least on par with Christ.
As a lifelong Protestant, sola scriptura does not make the Bible the standard or anywhere near being on par with Christ. I have never heard that preached, taught, or ever talked about in any sermon, class, study, or community group.
PacifistAg
AG
wargograw said:

RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Dude. I just want answers to the questions I'm asking. You're majoring on all the minors I post while you leave massive mozza balls hanging. Focus here.
I just want a respectful dialogue where you don't misrepresent and distort my position. When you start with the claim that you've already "proven" that I disregard the Bible, then where do we go from there? I've explained already that I do not. There's not a single verse that I dismiss, because I believe every one points to Christ. That we differ on how it points to Christ does not mean I'm disregarding it. But you've already made up your mind on my position, as evidenced by the fact that you believe you've "proven" my position.

And claiming that I disregard Scripture is not a "minor".

But, here, I'll answer the last question you asked: how do you know which parts of the Bible reveal Jesus' character and which don't?

All scripture testifies to Christ. Those verses that look like Christ are direct revelations. Those verses that don't, are indirect revelations. The key to understanding the indirect revelations is by using a cruciform hermeneutic. I'll use the genocide/infanticide examples. When God supposedly ordered the genocide of the Amalekites, I believe that's an indirect revelation. Why? Because genocide is entirely incompatible with who Christ revealed God to be. Now, that doesn't mean we reject that section, as Marcion would have done. So, how does that actually testify to Christ then? Well, I like how Greg Boyd puts it. These are literary crucifixions. Just as we see with the cross, the surface is brutal and ugly. It's barbaric. Crucifixions were evil, and on the surface, Christ looked no different than any condemned criminal of the day. But, because we know Christ, because we know who He revealed God to be, we see that the cross is actually where God went to unimaginable lengths to reconcile His creation to Himself. He became God in the flesh, He allowed man to act on Him, to the point of nailing Him to a cross. He took on a hideous superficial appearance, but beneath the surface we see the immense, incomprehensible beauty of what He was doing. The same is true for the OT commands to commit genocide and infanticide. He allowed man, driven by cultural conditioning, to "act" on Him and portray Him as other ANE deities just so He could remain in relationship with His people. The word used in these genocidal accounts is herem. In the ANE, herem was an act of worship to a deity. It was essentially human sacrifice to their respective deity. God, knowing His people and what they could possibly comprehend of Him at that time in history, was willing to let them "act" on Him by portraying Him as a genocidal deity.

As we see through the OT though, He slowly but surely reveals more and more of Himself to His people. When sacrifices to deities were common, including human sacrifice, He limits them to animal sacrifice. But as we see in the Prophets, He never desired sacrifice. Early on, they talked of how much God took pleasure in their sacrifice, even painting the picture that He delighted in the aroma. But as we see later, it was never sacrifice that He desired, but a humble and contrite heart. He meets His people where they're at. A good modern example of this that Greg Boyd uses is a missionary going into an unreached tribe. Say this tribe practices female circumcision. That missionary won't reach them by demanding they stop the practice immediately (they'd destroy any chance at remaining in relationship with the tribe), so they work on them gradually to move them away from that. As God is revealed to them, more and more, they will see that the practice is wrong. We see the same general principle at play throughout the OT. The OT authors were dealing with a "shadow". God's nature is gradually revealed to them throughout the OT story, until we get to Christ and the full, exact revelation is given to them.

One analogy I like to use is shadow puppets. If you see a shadow that looks like a dog on the wall, you'll naturally assume it's a dog that's casting the shadow. Your entire opinion will be based on that "knowledge". It looks like a dog, therefore it must be a dog. But then one day you see that it's actually just someone's hands held at the right angles that is casting the shadow. You were completely justified in your initial belief, but once you see the exact revelation, it changes how you see that shadow. Once Christ revealed to us the "hands" behind the shadow, it changes how we see that shadow (OT). It doesn't mean we reject the shadow as if it's not there, but we understand it differently.

Now, you may reject this understanding or this method of interpretation. But, I think I've at least made it clear that it's not a rejection of the scriptures. Only Christ is the exact revelation of God's nature. If it doesn't look like Christ, then we have to assume it's the shadow and we need to go looking for the hands that cast the shadow. I don't believe God commands man to sin, and I don't believe God's nature is changing. If we agree that Christ is the exact representation of God's nature, and His nature is immutable, then we have to agree that anything that doesn't look like Christ isn't God. Christ wasn't merely a partial revelation, but the exact revelation. So if Christ warns against those who would hinder a child from coming to Him, I find it incomprehensible that He'd command babies be dashed onto rocks.

So, hopefully that clears up my position. Like I said, you may disagree with it. Many do. But I would hope you could also see that I'm not dismissing Scripture (nor does the author in the OP, who is an Anabaptist). We don't hold a low view of scripture. Far from it. We hold that every single word points to Christ, and because of that, the bible is invaluable. The bible, though, is not Christ. It is not on the same level of Christ. Just as John the Baptist and the Bethlehem star were invaluable, they are not on the level of Christ. It doesn't diminish them, but simply points to how breathtakingly awesome the "Word made flesh" is. Again, the transfiguration is a great point here. Moses representing the Law...Elijah the Prophets...Peter wanted to build a tabernacle for all three. Yet God said "this is my Son....listen to Him!" Peter, James and John fell to the ground, then looked up. All they saw was Jesus.

You ask which parts reveal God's character? They all do, either directly or indirectly. We just may need to, with the Spirit's guidance, peel away layers of cultural conditioning that the authors bring to the text.

Edit: my apologies if I was defensive and, as a result, lacked graciousness in my responses to you.
BusterAg
AG
Quote:

The same is true for the OT commands to commit genocide and infanticide. He allowed man, driven by cultural conditioning, to "act" on Him and portray Him as other ANE deities just so He could remain in relationship with His people. The word used in these genocidal accounts is herem. In the ANE, herem was an act of worship to a deity. It was essentially human sacrifice to their respective deity. God, knowing His people and what they could possibly comprehend of Him at that time in history, was willing to let them "act" on Him by portraying Him as a genocidal deity.

Man, I just can't get there. At least not all the way there.

I totally get the concept. God believes man should rest and reflect on spiritual some portion of his life, and should recognize the importance of short term sacrifice for good, so he orders you not to light a fire on Friday night and to give free meat to priests. Man learns Godly principles though practices he can comprehend at the time. I get it.

But, at the end of the day, did God tell Saul to kill the Canaan babies or not? It seems your answer is, no, he didn't, because the Jesus described in the gospels would never do that,so either the scripture is wrong or our understanding of the OT scripture is wrong.

One weakness of that argument is that it relies on a true, rational understanding of the nature of Jesus. It seems arrogant to ignore a scripture because it does not align with your understanding of the nature of God through your study of the gospels.

Another approach is just to admit that some of these things don't make sense with rational analysis, but that is OK.

Kierkegaard addresses this in the story of Abraham and Isaac. In the moment he is bringing down the knife, is he faithful or a murderer? Kierkegaard ponders here:

Quote:

During the time before the result, either Abraham was a murderer every minute or we stand before a paradox that is higher than all mediation. The story of Abraham contains, then, a teleological suspension of the ethical. As the single individual he became higher than the universal. This is the paradox, which cannot be mediated. How he entered into it is just as inexplicable as how he remains in it. Faith is a marvel, and yet no human being is excluded from it; for that which unites all human life is passion, and faith is a passion.

wargograw
No problem. I believe God is jealous that the honor of his word (and by that I mean scripture) be upheld but I apologize for any lack of grace as well.

I don't understand where you get this hermeneutic from. From where in the Bible do you get the idea of this division between direct and indirect revelations of Jesus' character? How do you know which a passage is?

Again, yes, all Scripture does point to Christ. But Christ affirmed a literal interpretation of the Old Testament. Nowhere did he apologize for God or state that their understand of God's tough commands in the OT was inaccurate. So for you to say that we can go back and reinterpret the Old Testament based on Christ's character I think is wrong. Yes, the OT makes more sense in light of the revelation of Christ. And yes, I believe God revealed himself progressively. But I don't think you have scriptural warrant for saying he is not as he described himself in the Old Testament.

Even if we did accept your premise that the revelation of Christ's character renders some OT depictions of God to be inaccurate, how does Christ coming back in flaming fire (I think it's fair to call this a "genocide," no?) comport with you saying God wouldn't do those things in the Old Testament? God used Israel to judge other nations, just as he does with unrepentant sinners when they do and/or when Christ returns. Do you believe that the men who say to rocks "fall on us lest we have to face the wrath of the lamb!" thing God is too "good" to kill people?

Zobel
AG
Just a point - of course the Church can exist without the Bible. It did so for centuries.
Martin Q. Blank
k2aggie07 said:

Just a point - of course the Church can exist without the Bible. It did so for centuries.
Do you mean the time from Adam to Moses? Because the church since then has always had written scriptures. And it was passed orally before that.
Pro Sandy
AG
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Not a bad example at all. Here, I'll take the easiest one: "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you". He's directly countering a previous teaching. He's going from "hate your enemy" to "love your enemy".
And where is the previous teaching that Jesus is countering?

When you come upon your enemy's ox or donkey going astray, you shall bring it back.
When you see the donkey of one who hates you lying under its burden and you would hold back from setting it free, you must help to set it free.
-Exodus 23:4-5

If your enemies are hungry, give them bread to eat; and if they are thirsty, give them water to drink; for you will heap coals of fire on their heads, and the Lord will reward you.
-Proverbs 25:21-22

Do not rejoice when your enemies fall, and do not let your heart be glad when they stumble, or else the Lord will see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from them.
-Proverbs 24:17-18

Any previous teaching he is countering is not a teaching of God, else he is countering Himself. He is certainly countering a belief of some people and things taught by some people, but not countering a teaching of God, including that expressed in the Bible.
Zobel
AG
I said the Bible for a reason.

Which is part of the issue I have with wargograw / sola scriptura in general. He wants is to start with the bible sitting on his shelf with 66 books in a nice bound cover, and go from there. He more or less implies that we read it, and we have to let it "speak for itself".

This is nice in theory, but the problem is it doesn't bear fruit and it isn't historical. Letting the scriptures speak for themselves is letting anyone make them say what they want it to say. Everyone brings their own interpretive hermeneutic lens. No one can come to scripture unbiased or uninfluenced.

And even so, the Apostles didn't go around teaching the scriptures to pagans. St Paul taught the scriptures to the Jews, yes, but he reasoned using philosophy with the Athenians. He approached people where they were as they were. And what did he teach? Christ crucified. "For I decided to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

The Gospel is not four books. The Gospel is Christ. The angels didn't rejoice at the writing of scripture, the angels rejoiced at God with us. Scripture is an icon of Christ. But icons do not speak, we read them,

The Church existed before the NT was written. The Church does not strictly need the Bible. If all of the Bibles in the world were destroyed, the Church would abide because we preach Christ crucified.

Our interpretive lens is that of the fathers, which is that of the apostles, who were taught all things by Christ and the Holy Spirit.

The only discussion that makes sense when it comes to scripture is not plausible interpretations or what this or that may mean - but what lens are we reading the scripture and how can we justify this method. It is not our prerogative to be clever or novel, but instead to carefully preserve what we were taught, just as we were instructed, and to preserve one thing and one thing only: the faith passed down once for all to the saints. If our scriptural approach cannot be found in the writings of the fathers, it must be rejected.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.