(P) B-Theory of Time

1,798 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
Star Wars Memes Only
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a few questions on the B Theory of Time:

1.) Are there any ways to physically distinguish a B theory of time universe from a determinist's A theory of time universe?

2.) The (slightly modified to fit the relativity of simultanaeity) A theory of time has the causal structure and time orientation of the universe fall out of it quite naturally. How does the B theory of time explain these phenomena?

3.) Is it possible for the universe to be anything but deterministic in the B theory of time?

4.) Is the concept of a "present" incompatible with the B-theory of time? I haven't given this much thought in the past so please excuse my armchair philosophy here, but if we understand the universe as a 4-dimensional manifold it seems that something like B-theory universe is kind of naturally built in. However, I've also envisioned the concept of "present" to be observer dependent, and real to the observer. I've pictured an observer as a traveler on his world line, with the worldline ever-expanding with respect to some parameter. Although, I also don't see anything wrong with seeing it as worldlines both extending into the past and future. But, I'm meandering now. The point is, given the first interpretation, is there really anything incompatible between B-theory and the concept of the present?

5.) What, if any, implications does the B-theory of time have for free-will?
BusterAg
AG
#5 - no implications, but the same conclusion. It doesn't matter if the present is the only time that exists or not, this is how we perceive time, so the most logical conclusion is to live your life as if that is the case.
administrative errors
Would you provide some resources to those of us unfamiliar with terms presented?

Sounds interesting.
Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
Star Wars Memes Only
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-theory_of_time
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time/#TheBThe
Rongagin71
AG
When I was young, I used to think long and hard about this kind of stuff...until finally deciding that
it was all a waste of time.
Star Wars Memes Only
Relevant SMBC:

swimmerbabe11
that is so wrong
TexAgs91
AG
In the B-theory of time, everything is predetermined. So yeah, the universe is deterministic, and free will can't exist.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
ramblin_ag02
AG
So how would a tenseless time fit with relativity and things like time dilation. If time is a single stamp and we only experience it as a linear progression, then how would things like speed and mass cause us to have experiece time objectively differently?

I think objective time dilation points against a time being an illusion. Unless you also want to call velocity and mass illusions, but I don't see how thats very constructive
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TexAgs91
AG

I think it's more specifically that the flow of time is an illusion. Not time. There's our 3 spatial dimensions (plus however many string theory or whichever the next theory is requires) plus time. And it's a static structure that includes a time dimension.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Aggrad08
AG
It's actually quite the opposite. Relatively damaged A theory which requires absolute simultaneity. Physics is a driving reason B theory seems to be dominating in philosophy.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time/
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
I have nothing to contribute other than to say, thank you dargscisyhp, for introducing me to SMBC with this and effectively ruining my productivity for the morning.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Thanks for the link! That Stanford website is awesome
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Ok, I see the argument against simultaneity with relativity, but it also seems to defeat a major argument against A theory. After all, according to relativity time can in fact move at different rates. So it would make sense for the passage of time to be an independent physical entity that changes in relation to other parameters.

I don't strongly favor A or B. But I think the author of that article must favor B theory, as they don't mention the biggest problem with B theory. Namely, it provides no mechanism for change. With A theory time is a real property that constantly pushes from past to future (or future to past depending on how you look at it). Since everything is affected by this property, everything must change.

B theory says time is only an illusion we perceive based on changes around us, but then how and why do things change in the first place?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.