The final judgement

954 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pro Sandy
dds08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I was sitting in Bible study this past Wednesday, and we were in 1 Peter 1:1. There was a question raised about "God's elect":

1 Peter 1:1-2 New International Version (NIV)

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
To God's elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:
Grace and peace be yours in abundance.,

The question was raised why God chooses some to be his people and not others. Quickly the discussion gravitated to the fact that since Jesus came, died on the cross, and rose again, people today choose Him of their own free will. They choose to accept his free gift of eternal life with him.

I raised the question "before Jesus came when it was Jews and Gentiles, could a Gentile choose to become a Jew?" I was told no. Then I made the comment, "well thank goodness all of us who are here were born when we were because had we been born before Jesus came, we would have been labeled a Gentile."

Then I wondered what hope is there for all those Gentiles who were born before Christ. I'd hate to imagine they would all be sentenced to hell all because they were not one of God's chosen people, a Jew.

Then someone made the comment, that during the final judgment, all will have a chance to accept Christ or deny him.

Question 1: I was told some will choose Heaven and others will choose Hell. Then I wondered, well why would anyone deny Jesus at the final judgment? If they see Jesus again, in all His glory, and have an opportunity to live in paradise, why would anyone in their right mind deny Him and choose Hell?

Satan loves no one. Satan hates Christians just as much as his own followers. Denying Christ and choosing Hell is worse than prison.

Final thought's: Before Jesus came, the Lord chose the Israelis to be his people. After Jesus came, we choose the Lord of our own free will. We can either accept Him or deny Him.

Aggie4Life02
AG
1) Those under the wrath of God at the Final Judgement hate God so much that they would rather be in hell than in heaven with God.

2) People under the Old Covenant were saved in the exact same way the people in the New Covenant are saved.

"Abram believed the Lord , and he credited it to him as righteousness."
Genesis 15:6 NIV
https://bible.com/bible/111/gen.15.6.NIV
Pro Sandy
AG
dds08 said:

Final thought's: Before Jesus came, the Lord chose the Israelis to be his people. After Jesus came, we choose the Lord of our own free will. We can either accept Him or deny Him.

Not sure you'd be able to prove that.

Did God choose the Israelites to be His people for His purpose, absolutely. Did they require faith? Absoluelty. What about disciples. Christ told them "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruitfruit that will lastand so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you." He also told them they had to have faith. So we see both Israel then and Israel now are chosen and must have faith.

Does faith require an agreement on our part that we control? Thats the debate between predestination and free will. One on one, Jesus tells Nicodemus that to be saved you must be born again of the Spirit. Can you will yourself to be born? On the other, Paul tells the jailer when he asked how to be saved to believe, which seems like a choice. But I don't see how you can argue that the debate has changed from the preincarnation to after the incarnation.
Seriously77
Pray for one another

dds08
AG
Aggie4Life02 said:

1) Those under the wrath of God at the Final Judgement hate God so much that they would rather be in hell than in heaven with God.

2) People under the Old Covenant were saved in the exact same way the people in the New Covenant are saved.

"Abram believed the Lord , and he credited it to him as righteousness."
Genesis 15:6 NIV
https://bible.com/bible/111/gen.15.6.NIV
I was told about the final judgment just this past week and I'm doing my best to wrap my head around it.

Anyone know of any good books or material I could study on my own for myself?
Pro Sandy
AG
What are you interested in learning about?

If for what happens to a Christian, final judgement has already occurred on the cross. Christ took on the judgement rightly do us. And there is now no condemnation for those found in Christ. So I'd want to learn more about what Christ accomplished on the cross.

What happens to a non-believer is different. There will be a final judgement and woe to be awaiting judgement on that Day of the Lord.

Maybe interested in salvation prior to 33AD? Hebrews is a great starting point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.