Pastor denounces Highlands' urban plan as 'slavemaster church'

1,975 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by kurt vonnegut
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2018/05/pastor_denounces_highlands_urb.html

Quote:

A Birmingham pastor known for posting controversial church signs has targeted Alabama's largest church with a sign that says, "Black Folks Need to Stay Out of White Churches."

The Rev. Michael R. Jordan, pastor of New Era Baptist Church in Birmingham's West End, said the sign expresses his opposition to the Church of the Highlands starting a church in his neighborhood.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

"The Bible says love your neighbor as yourself," Jordan said. "If you don't want to live next door to me, and be my neighbor, why do you want to come over and plant a church in my neighborhood?"
I get that he's clearly hurt and angry about "white flight", but based on how he feels his community is being treated (whether it's a valid complaint or not), he's using that to treat others the same way. "You don't want to go to church with me, therefore I don't want to go to church with you." That's the exact opposite of Matthew 7:12. The Christian response would be "hey, brothers and sisters, I understand you didn't want to live next to us or go to our churches anymore. That's fine. We still want to fellowship with you because that's how we hope you'd treat us. We still want to worship with you no matter how far you move away from us."

This kind of divisiveness in the body is of Satan.
Frok
AG
What an inviting church sign. Can't imagine why folks are leaving his church.

Too easy I know
Rusty Aha
AG
Looks like this church (pastor) has gone the sensationalism route in the past as well:

Sapper Redux
TampaBayAg said:

Looks like this church (pastor) has gone the sensationalism route in the past as well:

commando2004
AG
Can you imagine the reaction if a White pastor had put up this sign?
The Chicken Ranch
AG
No, he's not right. And you know it.

What would be correct is if the sign read, "Obama duped black folks," and how the "Obama hates white peiple."

Donald Trump has done more good for blacks in 15 months than Obama has done for them in his lifetime. The tax cuts go directly to the bottom line of ALL working peiple, and the unemployment rate of African Americans is at its lowest point ever.

But nice try with your lies, Sapper.
Sapper Redux
Lol. Okay.
craigernaught
AG
Church: "Government lies to people. Politicians are sinners."

Limited government conservatives: "There's no way that's possible"
The Chicken Ranch
AG
No one is laughing with you, but rather "at" you.

Can you deny that the tax cuts didn't help working black families, and single blacks? Can you deny my unemployment comment? You can't. What has Trump done to directly hurt the black community? (Other than breathing air.)

Obama did nothing to help reduce illiteracy, lower the murder rate, reduce "black on black" crime, lower the abortion rate, or raise incomes in African American communities. He did race bait, blame, and encourage lawlessness such are rioting and looting.

So yes, that church's sign messages are offensive, and false.

I know this entire thread belongs on the politics board.
powerbelly
AG
The pastor is clearly worried about his revenue stream drying up. Seems to be a pretty common problem.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

I know this entire thread belongs on the politics board.
Not really. This political back-and-forth? Sure. But this is a relevant topic for this board, regardless of if the signs were about Trump or Obama. It's not about the politicians, but about the pastor.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Good point. It is about that pastor.
PacifistAg
AG
And I think all believers here would say this pastor is wrong. He's simply the other side of the same coin as the Robert Jeffress' of the world. Political partisanship has no place in the church.
wbt5845
AG
I'm so glad I'm Catholic, where we don't segregate our churches.
Frok
AG
RetiredAg said:

And I think all believers here would say this pastor is wrong. He's simply the other side of the same coin as the Robert Jeffress' of the world. Political partisanship has no place in the church.

I don't like Jeffress, but I doubt he's put up a sign that said a certain race or class of people are not welcome at his church. The media would absolutely murder him.
PacifistAg
AG
Oh I don't mean that he would resort to the same tactics, but the partisanship we see from both is the same.
Frok
AG
Very true. Maybe Jeffres doesn't explicitly state it but his active political involvement likely keeps his congregation of one persuasion.

The Chicken Ranch
AG
RetiredAg said:

Political partisanship has no place in the church.

Amen, brother! Amen.
craigernaught
AG
If his argument is "black people shouldn't go to church with white people" then he's clearly wrong, and is acting contrary to the scriptures. Christians should respond by stating this is wrong and inviting him to repent.

If his argument is "black people in this neighborhood shouldn't leave their congregations for a church run by outsiders who do not act in our best interest", then I'm fine with it. I'm okay with a little sensationalism. Anybody who posts on this board is lying if they say they're not okay with a little sensationalism too.

After reading the article, I'm not sure which one he is saying, or if it's some weird mixture of the two. I'm comfortable with the thought that some of his ideas are bad but that maybe we should listen to black pastors when they talk about what's best for black churches and black Christians inside black neighborhoods.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

After reading the article, I'm not sure which one he is saying, or if it's some weird mixture of the two. I'm comfortable with the thought that some of his ideas are bad but that maybe we should listen to black pastors when they talk about what's best for black churches and black Christians inside black neighborhoods.
I think he has a point with regards to "white flight", then turning around and establishing a church in that area. One weekend, Brian Zahnd was preaching at Ecclesia here in Houston. The Brilliance was leading worship. So, my family and I went. It's down in the 4th Ward area, but it looked like most of the people there were rich white people that drive in for the service. I could understand how that could come across as patronizing to those living in the area. It can take on this appearance of a 'great white savior' coming to save the people in the area. I'm not saying Ecclesia is wrong for that, but I can understand how it can come across to others. If you're going to plant a church in an impoverished area, then I think it would be best to move into that impoverished area. It's similar to what Shane Claiborne has done in Philadelphia.

But his approach is just wrong, IMO, as it only divides the body of Christ. There doesn't seem to be an effort to reach out on his part. Perhaps he has behind the scenes though.
Frok
AG
Ecclesia is not in an impoverished black neighborhood. That is close to Washington avenue. Hipster land. Probably tons of neckbeards.

Speaking of that church, are the Seay brothers still heading that church up?

Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

If his argument is "black people in this neighborhood shouldn't leave their congregations for a church run by outsiders who do not act in our best interest", then I'm fine with it. I'm okay with a little sensationalism. Anybody who posts on this board is lying if they say they're not okay with a little sensationalism too.
Their best interest is to hear the gospel...which is obviously not being preached at this church.
PacifistAg
AG
The area seemed impoverished to me, but I've only been there that one time and noticed a ton of homeless sleeping in the area. Perhaps I'm off on that then or am remembering driving through impoverished areas to get there.

I do think the Seay brothers are there. Or at least Chris Seay is.
Martin Q. Blank
Frok said:

Ecclesia is not in an impoverished black neighborhood. That is close to Washington avenue. Hipster land. Probably tons of neckbeards.

Speaking of that church, are the Seay brothers still heading that church up?
Yes, 4th ward and 1st ward are not "impoverished." The people who go to Ecclesia probably live in that area.
kurt vonnegut
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

What would be correct is if the sign read, "Obama duped black folks," and how the "Obama hates white peiple."

Donald Trump has done more good for blacks in 15 months than Obama has done for them in his lifetime. The tax cuts go directly to the bottom line of ALL working peiple, and the unemployment rate of African Americans is at its lowest point ever.

See, this is why I hate politics these days. . . .

When you tell yourself something is true over and over and over you can convince yourself that Obama hates all white people, loves Islam, and that Trump actually gives a damn about anyone other than himself. The same is true for the liberal side - you tell yourself over and over and over that Trump hates black people, democratic party policy doesn't hurt black people, and that Obama loves everyone equally. . .

Don't bother defending the merit of any of your statements - thats not my criticism. My criticism is that your posts in this thread are as much radical, ultra-partisan, ignorant rhetoric as that of Rev. Jordan.

I see no distinction between you saying Obama hates all white people and what Rev. Jordan is saying. Both statements are grounded entirely in political fundamentalism and automatic blind hatred for 'the other side'.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.