Father Brown- tv show

740 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Zobel
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have any of you caught this on Netflix? I'd guess my Catholic friends would appreciate it. It is based off of the stories/character of the same name by GK Chesterton.

Murder mystery show, theologically non-insulting, very well done, fun, (mostly) good for the family stuff. Later seasons get a little more racy with some subject matter, but still basically pg13. Nothing graphic or violent, just people hiding their murders and other sins.
jkag89
Have not seen the show but have read a few of the Father Brown short stories. Chesterton is not everybody's glass of beer but I can definitely see how the stories could be adapted into fun more or less family friendly mystery/detective TV fare.
747Ag
AG
I've been watching. Very much enjoying it.
UTExan
It's a very good show---he is almost always in trouble with his spiritual superiors, which is generally a good thing.
swimmerbabe11
To be fair, it's never theological disputes, just differences on how pastoral care is administered and largely adiaphora type of situations
AggieRain
AG
UTExan said:

It's a very good show---he is almost always in trouble with his spiritual superiors, which is generally a good thing.
Zobel
AG
Given your obvious distaste for hierarchy how did you ever last in the army?
UTExan
k2aggie07 said:

Given your obvious distaste for hierarchy how did you ever last in the army?

Possibly because most Army officers had to show promise of actual skills at some point rather than becoming religious bureaucrats. And I was lucky to work with some good people. Same with police, which is much less structured and depends on individual investigation and initiative. A supervisor wants to know what is happening but does not hold your hand or micro-manage.

Jesus had his problems with the Pharisees and their onerous rules I recall.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Zobel
AG
Are you kidding me? What promise does a dang 2LT have to show? And you're going to level criticism at the church as bureaucracy by way of defending the army? I don't even think you believe this.

PS Jesus told people they had to listen to the Pharisees (cf Matthew 23:2).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.