Non-religious resource for meditation practice

906 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bmks270
americathegreat1492
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello everyone. I recently stumbled on r/streamentry, a subreddit about awakening. They advocate a religiously neutral approach, and religious or spiritual implications aside, it offers a pretty exhaustive set of resources for those currently engaged in or interested in meditation. Scientific research on meditation has really only gotten off the ground in the last decade or two so the literature isn't that large yet, but I would say we have emerging evidence of it's efficacy as an adjunct to traditional treatments for certain mental disorders. Just thought I would share the link for anyone that might be interested.
mesocosm
AG
That is of the devil
Athanasius
AG
Mental health, or general health as a goal is fine. But I would ask, what is the ultimate goal? What is the ends to which mental and general health serve you?

Are you wanting to live a more fulfilling life? A life where you can contribute more? A life full of joy? Purpose?

I would recommend not meditating just for the first goals. I would look beyond to the second.

In this way, I say search for truth through meditation.

I recommend The Imitation of Christ as a good start.
bmks270
AG
Sit in silence and focus on slowing your breathing. Slow inhale, slow exhale.

That is the recommendation in "The Willpower Instinct". It's not religious.
Martin Q. Blank
What are you meditating on?
Martin Q. Blank
bmks270 said:

Sit in silence and focus on slowing your breathing. Slow inhale, slow exhale.

That is the recommendation in "The Willpower Instinct". It's not religious.

Sapper Redux
Athanasius said:

Mental health, or general health as a goal is fine. But I would ask, what is the ultimate goal? What is the ends to which mental and general health serve you?

Are you wanting to live a more fulfilling life? A life where you can contribute more? A life full of joy? Purpose?

I would recommend not meditating just for the first goals. I would look beyond to the second.

Not everyone is interested in your religion. Meditation can help calm and focus just about anyone regardless of their metaphysical beliefs. There doesn't need to be a grand goal at the end to gain something from it.

Headspace is a good app for quick breathing and mindfulness work with no religion involved.
mesocosm
AG
Athanasius said:

I recommend not
bmks270
AG
Studies have concluded that meditation and exercise measurably improve concentration and willpower.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.